Sign in to follow this  
Siadwell

school and swimming

Just wondered what your views on this would be? Our son goes to a special needs school, there he has a swimming lesson, in school time, he has recently wanted to grow his hair (wanting to be more goth - showing an identity) but last week he came home and the swimming teacher has said that he can't go swimming unless he has a bauble tied in the front of his hair. She has said it is a health and safety point just in case his hair gets sucked up in the filter system! His hair, at the moment, is just below his eyebrow level at the front and just below collar level at the back, now he is being excluded from all swimming activities, the only form of physical activity he enjoys. We are not happy bunnies at the moment, any views?...

I think this is normal procedure - my daughter's school had a similar rule, I seem to remember. Is there a particular reason why he can't wear something to tie up his hair - or a swimming cap?

K x

Our son had an issue with the swimming hats that the children are asked to wear, well really he has never liked anything to touch his head. There are different types of hats cloth ones as well as plastic, he gets on better with the cloth ones but will now wear either as he has got use to them, it did take quite a long while though. May be if your son enjoys swimming enough he will try to wear one even if just for a short while at a time.

most schools require caps these days as standard. the budget for maintaining the pools are most likely very tight (as with everything in the education system), and having to pay someone to come fix the filter weekly would probably tip a lot of schools over the edge on being able to afford the facility.

a cap would probably be more comfortable and less embarassing than him having to put hair ties in, and of course its more convienient because he wont have wet hair for the classes after swimming.

you could make a game of the swimming cap if hes a bit reluctant. i remember a summer camp i went to, they used the plastic kind as a water-bomb. you turn the cap inside out, fill it with water, line it up so its just sitting on the top of the persons head and then snap it onto the persons head by pulling it down, and of course all the water goes everywhere.. mind you, it did smart a bit if they got your ears so perhaps not a good idea if he's sensitive about his head!

At the pool our sons school uses a swimming caps are compulsory for all the children having school swimming lessons no mater what length their hair.

My lads class dont have to wear swim caps but all kids with hair longer than shoulder length have to have it tied back.