Sign in to follow this  
isme

What to ask/expect

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could pick your brains on something....

Next week we have parent teacher evening which is always lovely being told how wonderful my sprogs are... but after this we have to see the SENCO (who wont see us until we have a report from the consultant who gave us the dx.. how long should that take to recieve?) so what do i need to ask?

Ben is finding work fine - easy, never gets into trouble (not even told off) and is always eager to help his teacher.. in fact one of the comments on the forms to the hospital from his teacher said "Ben is always good in school, too good, always removed from the other children and prefers to spend time with adults". It carried on to say that he is always the last to be picked for anything team based, he will only spend time (he doesnt play "with" but "alongside" other children prefering to boss them around) with those of a much lower ability level and he "struggles socially".. It broke my heart to read this report as we were told that he was doing much better (I am going to question why the drastic change in the reports)

I just want to go in with reasonable expectations, and some knowledge of what should happen.. I know what I think should happen, but have a feeling it won't be quite the same ;)

The only real experience I have is of being in a special school setting as a teacher, where all of this kind of "stuff" was already mostly in place itms?

Is the senco right in saying that she wont meet with us until after we have the report from the consultant?

If his behaviour is not a concern for being "difficult" as he is so good all the time (which surely is a concern? It is to me... ) then can he/will he get any help at all anyway? Will it make any difference?

Does any of this post make any sense at all?

TIA

Sounds familier!!!! Ds's school told me one thing then told the camhs bloke a totally different thing n when the bloke from camhs read me the report from school I was in shock.

Not sure what to advise on this as as you know the school ds is in is abysmal n havent put him on the senco list or an iep like they were told to do at the cdt meeting. >:D<<'>

always removed from the other children and prefers to spend time with adults". It carried on to say that he is always the last to be picked for anything team based, he will only spend time (he doesnt play "with" but "alongside" other children prefering to boss them around) with those of a much lower ability level and he "struggles socially".

These are under social and communication needs, so he would meet criteria for some additional support under special educational needs.

Academic and been good are not adequate reasons for not meeting a child with special needs, your son has Aspergers Syndrome and has social and communicational needs.

Have you looked into an assessment of SEN.

Do you feel Ben should receive more support and what support do you feel he requires.

If my son was very very good ALL the Time then yes Id be very nervous to why that was so, even good children have their moments, so there illustration of your son been very very good sounds very unrealistic.

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Thanks for replying hun!

No iep for j??? thats just terrible!

Nah the head said o we wont do that yet we will wait for a bit...same with the sen register even after the cdt team told her he needs both!!!

These are under social and communication needs, so he would meet criteria for some additional support under special educational needs.

Academic and been good are not adequate reasons for not meeting a child with special needs, your son has Aspergers Syndrome and has social and communicational needs.

Have you looked into an assessment of SEN.

Do you feel Ben should receive more support and what support do you feel he requires.

If my son was very very good ALL the Time then yes Id be very nervous to why that was so, even good children have their moments, so there illustration of your son been very very good sounds very unrealistic.

JsMum

Thanks for replying..

I think he needs lots of help socially, I think they need to stop making him "the helper" all the time in class and they need to help him learn to play and socilise appropriately itms?

Apparently he is ALWAYS good, only been 1 incident in the last 3 years (according to school) and apart from that he is a "more than perfect student" which bothers me...

Thanks for your input, I really really appreciate it..

I have looked into the sen assessment process and am slightly confused tbh.. according to the form filled in by his teacher ben is already having some form of help with his social skill, although no one told us why, what etc the first thing we knew about it was through this form... Definately something I will be asking about - its the top of my list!

So would that mean that he is on schools action? Or just that they were doing this for no apparent reason?

Mmm thats odd them not telling you...id def ask..just ask what they intend to do to help Ben....will he be having an IEP, is he def on the sen register...what will be included in his extra help itms.