connieruff

School said they cannot support a statement

A Statutory Assessment means the LEA will ask all professionals involved with your son to produce reports. Those professionals should cover and identify all of his needs and should make recommendations about how those needs should be met in school.

You can still write to school about individual things such as other children in class laughing at your son about how he talks or walks. If he had cerebal palsy they wouldn't let him be laughted at.

The Statutory Assessment, if it leads to a Statement also has a section (in the Statement) where you say which school placement you want for your child. If you think this current school is not capable of meeting his needs you can name a different school. But you need to start looking at other schools that have experience of teaching children with ASDs. Visit them and speak with the SENCo. See what structures they have in place in the classroom and during breaktimes.

Hi Sally

Re the other children laughing at my son in class, well I've just come back from a day out with a friend of my sons who sits next to him. He told me that there are three boys who laugh at my son in the class and my son just has to get up and walk or talk and they laugh at him, it is the same three who I had suspected. I asked this boy what the teacher and the TAs do while this is going on and he said she/they don't see it, and if this boy complains to this teacher she doesn't take any notice.

I can tell you that when you are driving along and someone is telling you your son is bullied like that I nearly swerved off the road I was so angry. I knew it was happening, but I thought it was stopping, as I had written a letter to the teacher explaining my concerns. She did not reply to the letter. Now this may be the cause of his meltdown, or one of the causes anyway, and I have no idea what to do now, do I complain to the head - to the governers? - or leave it as I have just sent off my letter for a request for SA. Will the LEA note that I have complained about bullying again and think that if the school can effectively deal with the bullying then no need for a SA? The mood I am in now I feel like taking on all of the teachers in a bare knuckle fight.

Thanks everyone for the supportive, informative replies.

Cxx

Hi.I think the bullying issue is a different issue and it is worth dealing with it as a seperate issue.It would be worth making a formal complaint to the HT.Also ask for a copy of the school comlaints procedure.In your letter state that you expect a reply to your letter within a certain number of days [as per the complaints procedure].

If the HT does not respond to your sastisfaction you can then escalate the complaint to the Chair Of Governors.

There is a very good document with advice on bullying.I will try to find it.Karen.

Just to update you : I have requested a SA. However the school have sent me the minutes of the last meeting I had with them and in it they say that....

'Academically he is a year behind his peers, he needs one to one support at all times and he is unable to work independently. He has made good progress this year because he has been able to have the help of volunteer helpers. This is unlikely to continue as he moves to KS2 in September, and he will share the time of the TA based in Class 3.

They go on to say that ..'As was explained to his mum that even if Toby was to have a Statement it would not be possible to implement 1 to 1 support as a statement does not come with additional funding for support' The letter also states ' he now rarely makes strange noises in class'

While this has been going on I have found out that my son, since last October has been bullied by three others in the class, and in the playground, he has been the subject of sniggers and whispering and children laughing at him. Two other children told me, and one of the other mothers confirmed it, and I also saw one of the children doing it last October.

I had spoken to the teacher and written her a letter about it, but it took a letter to the head and a threat from a soliciter to get them to take action.

I think this has been the cause of his meltdowns - poor little chap.

He seems a lot happier now, but I worry that the school are going to suggest that I send him to another school, they seem to paint a very black picture in the minutes.

They are saying that they cannot support a statement, what should I reading between the lines? I thought this remark was an off the cuff remark, so I was very surprised to see it in black and white...

Thanks

Connie

Hi.I think that if you have requested a Statutary Assessment then all you can do now is to see what the formal LA response is.They will have to formally write to say whether they have turned the request down.If they do turn down your request then they should notify you regarding right to appeal.Then you can decide whether to appeal.The funding issue should not be covered in the Statement.If a Statement is issued then the support is the responsibility of the LA as documented in the Statement.Karen.

Just to confirm what Karen has said really.

The Statement identifies your child's needs from the reports gathered by the LEA (SALT/EP etc) and those submitted by yourself and any other additional evidence or reports you have. The LEA then decides whether to agree to a Statement or not. (They can even refuse to do a statutory assessment if they feel there is not enough evidence that one is needed - that is why you do have to 'paint a black picture' - but what you are considering is the level of support your child would need at the times he is coping least well, not when he is having good days and he understands everything etc.) Section three contains the recommendations made by those same professionals in their reports as to how the needs they identified should be met in school. And it should be quantified and specified in terms of hours of support and staffing arrangements. Then section 2 and 3 give you an overall picture of the placement needs in section 4. Download a copy of the Code of Practice and read the relevant section to where you are in the process. Karen probably has a link for that, i'm not good at that kind of thing!

LEAs do have different approaches to Statements so it is important to speak with your local parent partnership, the NAS, IPSEA (you can also visit their website) or ACE to get professional advice at every stage.

What placement are you wanting for your child. What are the schooling options your LEA has to offer. Which local school have experience of teaching children with ASDs. Have you visited those schools and talked with the SENCOs. These are all things you need to do. You have to prove that the placement you want is the 'nearest suitable school', otherwise the LEA will name a different one.

LEAs do try to keep children mainstream (I think the COP even states that that should be the case?). And mainstream schools cannot 'refuse' a child on SEN. However you need to be very certain in your mind that if your child does remain mainstream that the school will be willing, able and experienced enough to meet those needs.

One of my main arguments against my sons former school was the fact that he wasn't at all independent. I believe the school had done that because it was felt easier for them to give him 1:1 support when needed, rather than have to change the systems, approaches and strategies of how they present the work to enable him to become more independent. When he moved to the Enhanced Resource school they commented immediately that he did not do anything on his own. He just sat and either said/did nothing or shouted for 'someone to help me here', but without looking at anyone etc. It took a couple of months for them to set up his daily timetable, work progress schedule, work station etc. But from that point on the TA needed to spend less time with him than in his previous school because once she had ensured he knew what he should be doing he could get on with it himself. And that is how it has to be. You cannot have your child or adult totally dependent on someone to function. The more they put into teaching your son how to be independent in his work and how to initiate, sustain play etc the more independent he will be and the happier he will be because they do know whether they are doing as well as their peers or not.

But seriously think about what your goals are for section 2 (needs), 3 (recommendations to meet needs) and 4 (placement) of any statement.

I think Karen also posted previously about a kind of template of what things to mention in the parental report towards a statement. That might be useful to use because it may make you aware of things you never previously considered relevant.

They go on to say that ..'As was explained to his mum that even if Toby was to have a Statement it would not be possible to implement 1 to 1 support as a statement does not come with additional funding for support'

If a Statement says he needs 1:1, then that is what he must get - who pays for it is up to the school and LA to sort out. I think the school are trying to pressure the LA into giving them more money - but that is of no relevance to you.

In what way are they saying they cannot support a Statement? They have said he needs a lot of 1:1, so he obviously has high needs. Have you requested the school to apply for SA - or have you requested it direct?

Do the latter and see what happens.

http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/advice-about-educ...-assessment.htm

Hi.It would be worth keeping an eye on the time limits regarding Statutary Assessment.If you have requested a Statutary Assessment the LA have six weeks to consider your request and to reply to notify you whether they have decided to conduct a Statutary Assessment.The information is on the link.Karen.