Sign in to follow this  
Daisydot

employee rights

I work in a school on a term time only basis which is great because it means I can always be around in the school holidays to look after the kids and enjoy some time with them.

However, this means I do not have any holiday entitlement during term time. I work from 8.30-3.00pm 5 days a week. Usually I find this arrangement very oonvenient. However, a few times lately I have needed to take time off work during term time to deal with matters relating to my son with severe SAL deficit and ASD. Wherever I can I make appointments in the holidays, but some things are unavoidable during term time. For example, this week I am visiting two schools to see whether they will be suitable for my son when he goes to senior school. This is something I obviously have to do in term time as I need to see the schools in operation to evaluate them ! Sometimes there are medical appointments or something which has to be done in term time. When both my children's schools were closed because of snow recently my employer said it was my responsibility to get childcare for them so I could work :wallbash: (difficult when we only had notifcation at 8am that day). The point is that my employer is geting quite sniffy if I ask for time off. I would usually try to make up the hours by working lunchtimes or extra another day. My son gets DLA and is registered disabled. I wondered whether parents of children with disabilities have any extra rights when it comes to working. I heard once that there is a form you can fill in and give to Personnel which identifies you as being a carer. However, I cant seem to find out much about this. My employer is a local authority.

Any advice would be helpful.

I too am employed by the local authority on a term time only contract and have had to take huge amounts of time off to be with my son and they are absolutely brilliant. I am sorry to hear your employees are not so great .Have you looked her this may be useful Visit My Website

My employers used to be fine about it, but I have had a new headteacher in the last year and the LA are clamping down on sickness absence (of which I have not had any for 18 months !) .

The attitude of the school and the LEA who legally pay for your wages would be different. There should be policies for carers leave. If they cause problems you can take them to tribunel for unfair dismissal on the grounds of your childs disability.

Look on your LEA site and take note.

If you can not find it I am sure parent partnership would be aware of what the policy is for carers as some people will be responsible for diabled children.

My employers used to be fine about it, but I have had a new headteacher in the last year and the LA are clamping down on sickness absence (of which I have not had any for 18 months !) .

The law is if you have a child whom you claim DLA for which you do do, then you can take time off without pay.

info is on workingfamilies.org.uk

Parental leave can be taken at any time prior to your child's 5th birthday. In the case of adoption, you can take parental leave at any time prior to the 5th anniversary of the date when the placement for adoption began, or your child's 18th birthday if earlier. If your child is claiming DLA you can take the leave at any time up to your child's18th birthday.

How much leave can I take?

Each parent can take up to 13 weeks parental leave for each child. If your child is claiming DLA, the entitlement is up to 18 weeks. You can take the leave in long or short blocks depending on what has been agreed with your employer.

What agreement will I have with my employer?

Employers and employees can agree their own procedures and terms for taking parental leave, for instance in a collective agreement or through individual arrangement. If there is no agreement, then the Fallback Scheme automatically applies- it is the legal minimum. An employer cannot offer you less advantageous terms than the Fallback Scheme.

What are the terms of the Fallback Scheme?

Under the Fallback Scheme,

 You may only take leave in blocks or multiples of one week, unless your child is entitled to DLA, in which case you may take leave in blocks or multiples of one day

 A maximum of 4 weeks in a year per eligible child may be taken by each parent

 You must give your employer at least 21 days' notice in writing to take parental leave. The notice must state the start and end dates of the leave- see the box below for an example

I've never been in a Union, except when i worked in Australia when I had to be in one. Perhaps now is the time to join ! :unsure:

you need to be in a union just for the legal cover as more and more children are making allegations against staff, and although you might not be in the position you may be called on to support someone you work with and you need to know your rights.

Edited by Moll