Sign in to follow this  
Teresa

Shopping for clothes

My problem is clothes for T 18 AS, she is not in the slightest intrested in fashion or what she looks like,as long as the clothes

serve the purpose for which they were intended, and she likes to wear's the same things everyday, and it has to be

comfortable and the material has to feel nice. Lot's of black t-shirt's, black legging's, black dresses, black skirts, purple t-

shirts, purple DM boots, black boots, and i know this sounds like how a goth would dress, but she just like these two

colours . She hate's anything that has a button on it, they make her feel sick, so coats can only have a zip, she doesn't

do shopping, way to many people and bright lights not her thing, it's a nightmare. So i have started to buy clothes off the

internet, I try and get her interested by asking what she thinks, but still not interested. I find this really hard to understand

as she is obsessed with drawing in general and is always drawing manga characters, with really wonderfully designed and

colourful costumes, manga being japanese animation which she displays on a art website. I have asked her the question. How come you can design these costumes yet have no interest in clothes / fashion? she replys i don't no i just can . It just's baffles me.

Teresa x

My problem is clothes for T 18 AS, she is not in the slightest intrested in fashion or what she looks like,as long as the clothes

serve the purpose for which they were intended, and she likes to wear's the same things everyday, and it has to be

comfortable and the material has to feel nice. Lot's of black t-shirt's, black legging's, black dresses, black skirts, purple t-

shirts, purple DM boots, black boots, and i know this sounds like how a goth would dress, but she just like these two

colours . She hate's anything that has a button on it, they make her feel sick, so coats can only have a zip, she doesn't

do shopping, way to many people and bright lights not her thing, it's a nightmare. So i have started to buy clothes off the

internet, I try and get her interested by asking what she thinks, but still not interested. I find this really hard to understand

as she is obsessed with drawing in general and is always drawing manga characters, with really wonderfully designed and

colourful costumes, manga being japanese animation which she displays on a art website. I have asked her the question. How come you can design these costumes yet have no interest in clothes / fashion? she replys i don't no i just can . It just's baffles me.

Teresa x

Hi Teresa,

Have the same problem - my daughter is slightly better now with clothes and will wear a proper waistband (providing it isn't tight or itchy or too thick etc) whereas for years soft elasticated waists were all she'd wear - comfort over style any day. I buy nearly all her clothes over the internet or from Asda etc when I'm food shopping as she won't entertain it.

My daughter also loves anime, manga and all japanese art, culture etc - she too draws absolutely loads (she drew my avator with a graphic tablet about 3yrs ago - she's 15 now) - she loves to draw gothic loli style characters so last year I did take the plunge and order a couple of skirts from e-bay in gothic loli style which she absolutely loved - they're elastic waist and very stretchy and lace underneath in a black and black with dark purple she wears black tights with them and a dark t-shirt and looks quite trendy especially now as all this style has suddenly come into fashion - for xmas I bought her some arm thingy's and some frilly style t-shirts - again in black or dark colours but very very soft material - and making sure you can't feel any big seams etc on the inside.

I also took her to the anime convention (expo) in London and Birmingham last year - they have a big drawing area which she loved looking at everyone's drawings but wouldn't draw herself - she cosplayed for the B'ham one (which was much smaller) - she coped absolutely fantastic because there was so much anime/manga etc - although I spent a fortune on books etc.

Out of interest is the art website 'deviantart' - my daughter spends most evenings on there viewing all the drawings - although she won't submit hers as she thinks they're not good enough - she's so critical of her own work.

Take care,

Jb

I wouldn't let Pookie see you dissing purple doc marten boots! :lol::lol:

Hi JB

Yes it is deviant art she displays her art works on it's a good site she some times get's asked to do commissions, may i say that your daughter's avator that she drew is fantastic and it's 3 yrs old would like to see what she's drawing now, it's extremely hard to draw with a graphic tablet so T tells me, she's not been able to master it. T does traditional free hand uses copic markers artist pens mostly. Also into the gothic loli style and others she went to Amecon at Leicester last year and cosplayed got 2 of her costumes off ebay, the other her father sent her from Japan, same as your daughter would not enter into the art section. Just signed up with AYA revolution 09 being held in Warwick hoping to use 2 costumes from last year and will have to make the other, can't buy it because she designed it, Help! someone. She's also doing Japanese in college, so by the time i'm finshed making this costume i'll be turning japanese myself =^.^=

Teresa x

Hi Teresa,

Would love to see some of your daughters work too - showed my daughter your post earlier this evening and she was like 'what!! - that is so weird' - we've had many discussions these past couple of months that she cannot be AS because she doesn't like this or that - all the stereotypical things that AS people are supposed to be obsessed with - she has been doing all these personality/as tests etc so it was lovely for her to read something she can associate with.

My daughter flits between pencil drawings and copic markers - she hates painting - the avatar picture she did was the very first time she used her graphic tablet and I was so amazed - to be honest I bet she's probably only done about a dozen or so pictures since she had it - I think it's very very time consuming and makes her hand hurt (she has hypermobility syndrome) - although she holds pens/pencils etc awkwardly she can sketch in a few minutes - it's only if she uses copic markers or does something with a lot of shading in it that it tires her - although she cannot leave it and take a rest - she has to finish it.

We made my daughters costume - she went as Trucy (or Minuki is the japanese version's name) a character from the Phoenix Wright Ace Attourney game - and I was surprised to see just how many dress up - she was so chuffed when other people dressed as characters were coming running up to her calling Trucy come and have your photo took etc. I think she would have liked to gone as Misa Misa (from Deathnote) and probably once this outfit gets too small Nanny and myself will have to get the sewing machine out again. Also when everyone did the Caramel dansen it was a joy - I even felt like putting my hands up!!!

She also wants to learn Japanese - and can sing and recite loads of songs in Japanese or can tell me totally meaningless phrases that she's picked up along these sites!!! I did get her a learning disc which used some sort of picture assocation with sounds but she wasn't that impressed.

Take care,

Jb

Hi Jb

I think it's very very time consuming and makes her hand hurt (she has hypermobility syndrome

T also has HS and uses a lap top for college work has she can only write a few words, drawing take's ages but she uses

strokes and hardly any pressing finds this works for her.

Can't remember what she cosplayed as will have to get back to you on that 1, all i can remember 1 costume was a long green dress white cap with long white ribbon hanging from the side and she carries a watering can, I'm not on the ball as you with the names lol will see what i can sort out about the pictures for your daughter to see.

T applied to uni to do japanese studies and had a conditonal offer, the course is for 4 years in the 3rd year you spend 32 weeks in japan i am hoping that her father will still be living there, i'm trying to see if there is a way around it, don't think she would be able to spend that amount of time away from home, so far away, and what support system there would be.

bye for now Teresa