mamio

newbie saying Hi!! and having a rant!!

Hi everyone, :)

i have a 12yr old son with HFA (dx at 4)and ADHD (dx at 9), a 9yr old son with ASD(dx at 7) , and a 7yr old NT Daughter. Oldest is having a lot of bullying problems at school (Mainstream). Its not so much the school, its the bus thats the problem. I was so proud when he wanted to go to the bus stop on his own and he told me not to worry he would be fine! :unsure: and of course he was! I was worrying far too much and had to let go. :unsure: Everything was fine for a week!!! Then it started. a lot of teasing n "Accidently" bumping into him, stealing his bag throwing it round the bus etc.etc :angry: One perticular boy seemed to be the main instigator so School decided he was to be his BUDDY!! What? :unsure: ok after they explained, it kinda made sense. It stopped for a while! :) To cut a long story short!! This has been going on scince september starts n stops after numerous calls to school and county transport. I ask him how the bus is every day and all he tells me is fine! :unsure: Yesterday a yr 11 pupil had him by the throat in the bus stop and kicked his shoe into the road!! :angry::angry: All the school did was give this boy a talking too!! :angry::angry: We were livid!! we managed to get the boys bus pass suspended for a week after demanding it from the school and county transport and threatening to call the police!! We have asked about a taxi before and have been fobbed off!! :wallbash: But yesterday we were not taking no for an answer! So after a lot of Shouting Screaming and Demanding that our son does NEED a taxi and IS Disabled they are trying to get one in place for after easter holls!!!( Fingers Crossed!!) We rang the police anyway but apparently "its a grey area" "not quite assault" when we told the officer he was Autistic "what's that?" After I had already explained on the phone I just thought what's the point I had had a hard day and didn't have the energy to explain. He is supposed to be calling back tonight but I am not holding my breath! :wallbash:

Anyway didnt mean to waffle on sorry :)

Just wanted to say hi and its nice to know there are others out there who understand x

Hi Smoogie,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Interesting police attitude - when my daughter was grabbed by the hair and had a shoe thrown at her by two fellow pupils in the local park they did take it seriously as an assault and treated it as a crime.

Hope you get the transport sorted anyway.

K x

hi mamio

and welcome to the forum, sorry your boy is having a hard time at mo, i hope they sort out the taxis for him after easter.

theresa

Hello and a very warm welcome. My son managed the school bus for about 3 weeeks and then the problems started, same as yours, but a small town so got to hear everything! He was so traumatised on 2 occassions he woulnt get off the bus at the other end, I got a taxi after shouting/jumping up an down like you, but its fight fight fight all the way. incidentally he couldnt cope at mainstream secondary, I took him out and he is now at a special school, wish I had done it sooner. good luck. Enid

We rang the police anyway but apparently "its a grey area" "not quite assault"

If you'll excuse the language, that statement is c##p of the highest order. A quick look around legal sites revealed this definition of common assault:

Assault is defined at common law as “any act which puts a person in fear of immediate and unlawful violence”. So if you go to throw a punch at somebody and they fear that you will carry it out, this is enough to constitute the offence. The victim does not have to be actually afraid – he will be deemed to “fear” violence, if he anticipates that the punch will be carried out.

Grabbing someone by the throat and threatening them should match this definition in any reasonable mind and if a teenager hits an adult, there'd be no question about it. The fact that the victim is school aged doesn't change the nature of the offence.

If it happens again and you get fobbed off with an equally feeble excuse, you could always ask the officer involved to put that in writing and sign it. If the person involved is below the age of criminal responsibility that would be different but I can't help but think that some kids won't listen until it's a 6ft copper doing the talking. On the other hand you could always write to the chief constable of your county describing the circumstances and asking him for clarification. That should get things moving :)

Good luck with it,

J

Edited by DazedandConfused