Sign in to follow this  
helenl53

Exclusions

Hello everyone

We had a headline in our local paper a few weeks ago in which it was reported that our Borough had 1005 exclusions in the year 2003/2004.

Some of us parents wondered what ratio of kids in these exclusions had a SEN.

A number of the children in our group had endured exclusions and parents felt that the exclusion had been dished out for behaviour that had not been managed in the school because of indadequate training/skill.

All the LEA's have collated these figures and sent them off to the Dfes.

Under the Freedom of Information Act, the number of SEN kids who were excluded during 2003/2004 in your LEA can be disclosed to you if you ask.

I did this for our LEA and the number of kids with SEN who were excluded was 63% of the total. That is a disgraceful statistic.

You may be curious about the figures for your own area.

Best wishes

Helen

I think that changes in the way the SEN criteria work mean that EBD (emotional and behavioural disturbance) kids are now included in the SEN statistics so the figures aren't actually just about children with learning problems and disabilities.

Even so the numbers of children with disabilities being excluded (or only allowed to attend part time which is legally exclusion but I don't think is usually counted in the stats) is appallingly high.

Zemanski

A number of politicians, mainly Tory, have said that the way to restore order into schools is to remove the right of parents to appeal to the LEA against a permanent excusion.

What these statistics show is that there is a lot more to exclusions than clamping down on bad behaviour, and it is vital that it is kept as an option of last resort with full rights of appeal.

Simon

I am research student working in the area of exclusions of pupils with SEN so I thought I would provide the following information for anyone who is interested.

There is quite a lot of research evidence that the proportion of children with SEN amongst those excluded is at least 53% (Osler, A & Hill, J (1999) ?Exclusion from school and racial equality: an examination of government proposals in the light of recent evidence?, Cambridge Journal of Education, 29, pp.33-62.) and may even be as high as 87% (Hayden, C (1997) Children Excluded from Primary School: debates, evidence, responses. Buckingham: Open University Press.).

For a good overview of research on exclusion and the national picture you can download a Research Briefing (short summary) or a full research report from

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/research/programmeo...5&resultspage=1

And yes it is appalling. Retaining the right of appeal is vital.

Is this inclusion? - I don't think so. :wallbash:

>>Is this inclusion?

Well, it is until they get excluded! lol

I remember a County Officer telling us she visited a County with a good record for exclusions - she said the person was upset as that County had just had their first exclusion - she asked- their first this week? - no - their first this month? - no - it was their first this year! They averaged two exclusions per year, but were upset that they had any!

Karen