helena

Hi to All

Hi All

My 12 year old son has just been diagnosed as having ASD after years of my thinking something wasn't quite right..I also have two daughters who seem fine but struggle with their brothers constant 'bad' behaviour. Can anyone tell me the best way to discipline a 12 year old who has Asd. I find when on his own one to one his behaviour is very good, it is only around others or if he's stressed out he gets out of had and has rages etc

Welcome. lots of us have boys similar in age to you, and every one has different ideas re disipline, my lad can have the most incredible rages and the 2 younger ones have suffered greatly, he is much calmer at the mo, I put this down to medication, and fact I have read sooo many books since his diagnosis at 11. one of the books is; Aspergers and difficult moments, practical solution for trantrums, rages, and meltdown, by Brenda Smith Myles and Jack Southwick, the other is "The exploseive Child", forgot the author but just put it in the search bar at Amazon. >:D<<'> Enid

Hello Helena, My son is 15 with ASD and his behaviour over the last few years has been very difficult to handle. What works for him are praise, rewards and visual support. I must say though we recently got a dog and his behaviour has changed for the better-he is much calmer.

You will have to read lots and may have to try different supports but once you find what works hopefully you will see positive change. I also have a daughter that is often under stress due to her brothers behaviour-in fact she has just been diagnosed with alopecia.

A reward that works for us-I lamenate a printed word (what will be the reward) & then cut it in too pieces-like a puzzle. My son then gets a piece as a reward-and when the word is complete he recieves the reward. A word of warning-make it possible and use only a few pieces at first so your son can achieve. I can now use 10 pieces and it works really well.

Does your son have anywhere to go to calm down-away from everyone? This may help

Good luckxxx

having uncrotrollable rages is more common in kids with ASD known as 'meltdowns'! maybe try setting up a contract/agreement like a stress plan to find stuff that can calm him down maybe objects that are his favourites! try hacking into obsessions he may like! if has any! try doinj tyme out but on sorter period he must know that can't get away with things! try breathing techinques breathe throiugh the nose out the mouth deeply! maybe researching on net or in books techniques on kids with an ASD! take care good luck! XKLX