bluefish

Nail biting

Hi ds has started bitting his nails to the point his fingers are raw and it must really hurt! he is not stressed but cant seem to stop doing it! on some fingers there is almost no nail left at all! any advice very welcome.. a friend suggested bitter alows to paint on but I think that will distress ds. I cant seem to get him to understand he will make his fingers sore.

thanks in advance for any advice

No answers Bluefish but will watch this space as OJ bites his nails and fingers into an awful mess - he then can't cope with the pain that he is in as a result!!! Frequent demands for plasters to cover up the offending problem!!!

Stella xx

My daughter has bitten not only her finger nails for years, but her toe nails - to the point of where she has pulled the whole toe nail off on a number of occasions. It ends up infected and swollen. She does it periodically. I really ought to mention this to her psychologist some time! No tips for you, just thought I'd share my daughter's weird and wonderful ways!!

My son does not bite but picks with his fingers both hands and toes. What a mess with regular infections, REAAAAALLY Yuk. I keep telling him but to no avail. My daughter started doing it and was still sucking her thumb at 7 which resulted in deformed teeth but it was sorted in one week with bitter stuff you put on fingers. Fantastic.

The problem is stress isn't it? When my son is calm, the nail picking does not stop but certainly is less frequent. Mind you I should not say anything as it is nearly 2am and I can't sleep!

Another one whose ds does it, his fingers and toes are raw and bleeding with have tried the nail bite stuff but he became violent towards whoever put it on, so I have to leave it to his dad to do as he was really hurting me and I was worried he'd hurt the baby as he is stomach height.

We were told it is classed as self harm so make sure camhs or consultant knows and DLA people.

Another one whose ds does it, his fingers and toes are raw and bleeding with have tried the nail bite stuff but he became violent towards whoever put it on, so I have to leave it to his dad to do as he was really hurting me and I was worried he'd hurt the baby as he is stomach height.

We were told it is classed as self harm so make sure camhs or consultant knows and DLA people.

I did always wonder if this was some sort of self harm issue. It has always been a bone of contention for me since she was very little as she has always done this (but only recently diagnosed with ASD). I could never figure out how she could pull her own toenails off without being in pain at the time. It was always afterwards that she would cry about it being sore when she got an infection. It's amazing how you just live with these things without thinking it is that weird but actually - its ###### weird!!! I will tell her psychologist when we meet soon definitely - she can add it to her long list!!!

Hi ds has started bitting his nails to the point his fingers are raw and it must really hurt! he is not stressed but cant seem to stop doing it! on some fingers there is almost no nail left at all! any advice very welcome.. a friend suggested bitter alows to paint on but I think that will distress ds. I cant seem to get him to understand he will make his fingers sore.

thanks in advance for any advice

Hi bluefish

My daughter did this, and I used the bitter nail polish and it did no good at all, she got use to the taste. I found it got worse in time's of stress, but must say as the years have passed it's got much better. And now she sometime's grow's them untill one breaks and then she will bite's them again.

Tx

Sorry to say my husband still does this and he is 40. Luckily my DD hasn't started doing it as bad as dad but I never have to clip her fingernails anymore, which is fine by me but I will try to keep an eye out for them going any shorter. I hope you get some good advice. I will try to find out some more about this!! Skye

Edited by skye