Sign in to follow this  
chris54

One Step Nearer

Finally got to see the pediatrician yesterday. First the referral was made to the wrong doctor, By our GP. Then a letter went missing in the post.

But we got there in the end, in time for the statementing proses not to be delayed.

I should add at that since sons diagnosis we have moved to a different LA where things are done slightly differently.

We walked in to consultation room:- " well I have read the reports that has already been done and if you are happy with them there is no need for me to go over the same ground".

There on her desk was all the reports that have previously been done at old LA (Including a 12 page report by the Consultant Clinical Psychologist who did the original diagnosis of HFA.)along with a few from new LA.

She did a few development test and talked to us about son, which just confirmed what we already know.

She will be writing her report for AL and said that there is no need to see him again at the moment so will be signing him off. I'm happy with that, well I hope I will be when I see her report.

The Educational Psychologist is supposed to be writing her report next week so we should have that soon. See what she has to say. So far she has been very helpful, she did make the comment last time we saw her, something about if we agree/disagree with her report that we can talk to her about it and maybe amend it if needs be.

Things all seem to be going OK at the moment. Lets hope it stays that way.

I'm happy for you that she's covered everything.

Has she made recommendations against the needs she has identified?

As you are going through the Statementing process, it is worth having someone from the NAS look through the reports and proposed statement before you agree to it.

Do you have a copy of the Code of Practice that says how a Statement should be put together and what it should contain? If not get a copy sent to you.

I'm happy for you that she's covered everything.

Has she made recommendations against the needs she has identified?

As you are going through the Statementing process, it is worth having someone from the NAS look through the reports and proposed statement before you agree to it.

Do you have a copy of the Code of Practice that says how a Statement should be put together and what it should contain? If not get a copy sent to you.

It is avaiable on this link to download too.Karen.

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=3724

But best to get a copy rather than print it off :whistle:

I have never had a print copy.Why bother when I can go to the web site each time I need to look at it. :)

Although the help course did recommend it if you need something to send you to sleep..... :lol:

I have never had a print copy.Why bother when I can go to the web site each time I need to look at it. :)

Although the help course did recommend it if you need something to send you to sleep..... :lol:

I have downloaded a copy, (Too many pages to print) also I have been on the government online publications site and ordered a hard copy along with 3 other items relating to special needs. This is all free.

Although it is obvious, I'll still say it anyway.

Try to restrict yourself to reading the section that is relevant for where you are in the process at the moment. It is a big book, with alot to take in, and the NAS advised us at their seminar to just concentrate on the relevant bit so we don't get bogged down or overwhelmed. But it is definately an eye opener - well it was for me anyway - to see that the CoP was saying the complete opposite to what my LEA had been telling me. For example my EP said she had not been prescriptive in her report so the school could be flexible in its approach and staffing arrangements (for me this interprets as a get out clause for doing nothing). It clearly says in the CoP that any flexibilty built into the system is to be for the benefit of the child and not for the system. So reports and statement should be very prescriptive. Infact case law says that 'it needs to be specified and quantified to such an extent and everyone is aware of what is required. If that does not happen how will parents be able to challenge the school or LEA that they are not fulfilling the Statement.' Have a look on the IPSEA website, as they have a number of case law items. And Case Law means that a judge has made a ruling about a certain aspect of the CoP, and that ruling is what other judges will use to help them make a similar decision. For example case law says that 'education' is not just academic reading and writing, it is about preparing a child to become an independent adult. So that means that the teaching of Social and Life Skills should be included in the Statement. And case law says that OT is an educational need - which is usually denied by LEAs.

Just got a copy of the Pediatricians report. It does not really say anything new but then I didnt think it would, with all the other reports etc there wasn't really anything left to say. But it all adds fuel to the fire.

So should now hear something from the LA by the end of next week.