Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

TV Drama - All the Small Things

Anyone watching this drama about two rival choirs? I'm enjoying the story anyway, but an important character, the son has what appears to be AS. although the label isn't mentioned. He is quite withdrawn and expresses himself through his singing and playing the guitar. Well played, I thought.He fetured more in last week's episode in which he was bullied by a gang of boys. Quite poignant and well played.

K x

when is it on?

Tuesdays 9 pm BBC 1. You can probably catch tonight's episode on i player, but I don't know about last week which was the first episode. Worth watching.

K x

thanx will watch it tomorrow maybe

Anyone watching this drama about two rival choirs? I'm enjoying the story anyway, but an important character, the son has what appears to be AS. although the label isn't mentioned. He is quite withdrawn and expresses himself through his singing and playing the guitar. Well played, I thought.He fetured more in last week's episode in which he was bullied by a gang of boys. Quite poignant and well played.

K x

Hi.I thought the character had AS too but it is interesting when I checked the publicity on the series last week he was only described as something like troubled.I thought about posting here but was not confident enough.....thought I would see if anyone else thought about AS. :D

Last week I was very interested by the bit where the character found all the sensory issues of the permormance anxiety provoking.Karen.

I watch this programme as soon as i saw this on tv i wouldnt let mum change the tv over, brillant film. It makes me think of myself too because im part of a choir but also can sing by myself none as 'soloist' which is what i'm doing for xfactor.

You can normally watch the entire series on iPlayer, but you can only download for one week.

I didn't watch this programme, but I think I will start :)

Im loving thie series, brilliant acting too! The singing is really above my expectations!

I also thought AS..

I have just watched episodes 1&2, and I agree that the son does seem very aspie. It has not been mentioned whether he has any kind of disability, but the mother seems very aware that he is different and vulnerable. She mentioned at one point that he doesn't like bright lights or loud noises.

Do you think Clifford/Shrek might be a bit of an aspie too? He obviously has some aphasia-type condition as well. I thought it was very sad when he got told he was being evicted and he looked around at all the plants, and stroked one of the leaves.

Clifford/Shrek didn't strike me as AS, but perhaps he has some traits. He does have a certain social naivety about him, and he obviously has some kind of communication difficulty. The "misfits" challenging the ones who are naturally beautiful, gifted and powerful seems to be a major theme.

K x

The aspie-ish son seems to feel an affinity for Clifford, but it might be more to do with sensing that he also does not fit in.

I enjoyed the programme though, I am going to start watching it now. Maybe it will make more sense!

Yes, both of them seem to find the world quite challenging and retreat into music as a means of escape. Judging by the trailer I think in the next episode the couple who aren't English - misfits of different kind - will be kicked out of the choir too.

I wonder what the curate's dark past is?

K x

Yes, both of them seem to find the world quite challenging and retreat into music as a means of escape. Judging by the trailer I think in the next episode the couple who aren't English - misfits of different kind - will be kicked out of the choir too.

I wonder what the curate's dark past is?

K x

Don't know what his dark past is but he is rather nice......... :wub:

I am naughty.....probably old enough to be his mother. ;):lol:

There is a brief interview in yesterday's Sun TV Mag with Richard Fleeshman, the actor who plays Kyle. When asked to describe his character, he replied, "Kyle is fairly unusual to say the least. He seems somewhat autistic, but it's never mentioned or diagnosed. We didn't want him to be labelled, he's just different. He's often very scared and nervous about new things."

I don't know if this is his take on things, or if that is how the writers explained things to him, but it seems that he is meant to be autistic.

Thanks for pointing this out Kathryn. I don't normally watch dramas so wouldn't have watched this, but I caught up with the episodes yesterday on iPlayer out of interest and was hooked. I'd be interested to know why they don't label his behaviour, but I do think it's really well written and acted - although I wonder how much of the subtleness someone outside of the ASD world would 'get'. For instance in the last episode, someone talked about accepting something with grace and the boy took the bit about Grace as relating to the character called Grace - something I would very much do. There was a bit where someone said 'The pen is mightier than the sword' which he also had trouble with (although I was really hoping that he would point out that it was a pencil he had and not a pen! :lol::rolleyes:)

Me and my husband love this programme. 'Raquel' is brilliant in it too!

I'm not sure a child like Kyle would have coped with everyone clapping and cheering after the performance - mum had said he didn't like noise etc. Also, my son would have totally freaked if he had been spat on like Kyle was. :tearful: They always have to take short cuts with 'unusual' characters - it's impossible to demonstrate all the nuances of a particular condition plus personality, and if they do it too definitely there will just be more people saying AS/ASD isn't like that! Overall I think it is a good example of introducing the subject in a subtle way as a normal part of the characters' lives.

I also liked the way they showed the brother joining in so he didn't get beaten up. Very realistic.

Gorgeous Richard Fleeshman was on Loose Women yesterday and confirmed that his character has AS - it has never been mentioned in the programme. He absolutely breaks my heart watching his character - he is just so adorable. Havent watched the last one yet - but have thoroughly enjoyed the series especially his character. The bit about the tuna bake made me laugh - actually - it was more the girlfriend's reaction to him!! Hope they do a second series. I've ordered Richard's CD which he brought out after Fame Academy, he has an excellent voice...

Me and my husband love this programme. 'Raquel' is brilliant in it too!

I'm not sure a child like Kyle would have coped with everyone clapping and cheering after the performance - mum had said he didn't like noise etc. Also, my son would have totally freaked if he had been spat on like Kyle was. :tearful: They always have to take short cuts with 'unusual' characters - it's impossible to demonstrate all the nuances of a particular condition plus personality, and if they do it too definitely there will just be more people saying AS/ASD isn't like that! Overall I think it is a good example of introducing the subject in a subtle way as a normal part of the characters' lives.

I also liked the way they showed the brother joining in so he didn't get beaten up. Very realistic.

I think a lot of dramas portraying AS err by trying to pack in as many behavioural characteristics as possible at the expense of creating a real character - no real individual displays every single feature of AS all of the time. I think they avoided that here and managed to create a believable character. I like the way he was described as "just different" and allowed to fall in love and have a relationship like anyone else.

I really liked the singing throughout the series.

K x