Sign in to follow this  
Boltsie

Do you think my son has ASD or similar?

Hello,

I'm new here and I'm desperately trying to work out if my son actually does have ASD, if I can list some of the behavioural things could someone please give me some clue if I am on the right track that there is a problem or that I have a "normal" 5 year old boy!!!

I understand that if my son does have a problem, it is a very mild one.

Firstly, when I was pregnant with him, the triple test came back that I had 1 in 5 chance that he had down syndrome, an amnio came back negative. (I have always wondered why the risk factor was so high for me - I was only 27 at the time).

Secondly, he has a single palm crease on his right hand. I have read on other sites that this can be a marker for problems.

Behaviourly - he never shows any compassion towards anyone or anything. For example, if his sister hurts herself, if I'm unwell, if a toy gets broken, doesn't affect him in the slightest - he really just doesn't care. Saying that he does like cuddles, so isn't totally emotionally "not there".

He loves symmetry, and things have to be a done a certain way, and if they aren't he can't handle it. He gets very upset and cross and can't settle until whatever it was is put/done correctly (his way). This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to notice it. Is this a genuine problem, or is this just being a very willful child?

He is very hard work to control his behaviour, he is rude and aggressive but sometimes he can be calm and adorable he is a Jekyll and Hyde. He has loads of energy, has to run everywhere, can't and won't walk! At school he is good, works hard, but does write in reverse perfectly a lot, he is very bright and great at maths! Teachers haven't said or picked up on anything yet.

Any advice or opinions would be fantastic.

Thanks is advance!

Boltsie

Are you writing about my lad lol.......personally id def suggest a visit to the doc to ask for a referal. :thumbs:

Hi,

Sounds a lot like my 5 yr old son, he has a dx of ADHD but I strongly believe he is ASD or a combi of both at least, we have seen several doctors who all agree he has autistic traits but won't commit to a ASD dx.

If you are concerned I would speak to your sons school and see if you can get support there. Someone else to back up your theory will probably help and they could perhaps get an ed psy involved. That said, myself and a lot of others here have had difficulty getting an accurate dx so be prepared for a tough ride. ;)

If you suspect your son has an ASD and have read fairly widely on the subject chances are you are correct. It seems to me that parents (mothers esp) usually have a sixth sense about these things.

Good Luck

Sx

You know your child best, if you're not happy, keep on about being referred to paediatricians, CAMHS, ed psych etc.

It took me a long time and school always telling me there was nothing wrong, but I didn't give up, I have been like a dog with a bone over it and it has paid off where DX is concerned, having ongoing battles elswhere though (school) but again, I won't let it drop.

If you want what's best for your child, sometimes you have to really fight for it :(

Ask for assessments and hopefully you will get the answers you're looking for. You're not alone and many of us have been where you are now.

Good luck! xx

Thanks for your responses.

It's hard isn't it?! I think I may go and see my GP about him, I just get worried by the responses of some people that I/one is looking for an "excuse" for their childs behaviour.

Have any of your heard about a relation to the disorder and the single palmar crease?

I spoke to my GP first and he referred to the paediatrician for me, paediatrician referred to CAMHS after several appointments and to speech and language too, some referrals can take a while due to waiting lists so the sooner you go the sooner the ball is rolling so to speak :)

Just air your concerns with the GP and possibly school, although they're not qualified to DX ASD's and can be ignorant, but if they see anything that bothers them then it may help you if they do a behaviour report or something, maybe see the head about your concerns and see what they say too and see if they can refer to an educational psychologist, also seek out your local parent partnership as they can usually offer advice and support. Health visitor should be able to give you some support and guidance too, as should the school nurse, get everyone you can possibly get involved with your child as the more people that see him the better as they may see things school don't so you could still get a DX.

It is hard, especially when you have read up and done research and are convinced and you feel like nobody believes you or will listen to you, but keep at it, you will get there in the end :)

xx

You can also look at the diagnostic criteria. Google DSM IV Autism and also Aspergers (I think the code is 299 for autism). For a diagnosis a child has to have enough characteristics in 3 areas. Sensory and perceptual differences are not even included in the diagnostic criteria, but most if not all those on the spectrum have sensory issues.

You can ask your GP or Paediatrician for a referal to a multi disciplinary team that has experience in diagnosising autistic spectrum disorders including Aspergers.

Children on the spectrum can be very rigid concrete thinkers and tend to want to do things in one way. They also like routines and get upset when changes are made or when you try to do something differently, or with transitions ie. getting them to stop doing something and moving them onto something else. This can come across as being very stubborn, willful, spoilt etc. And to some extent all children have this behaviour. Usually around the 2-3 year old. But other kids grow out of that phase. Those with ASDs remain with this behaviour and throwing tantrums when things don't go their way. It begins to be age inappropriate compared to peers. Of course they do develop, but will typically have problems around these areas of difficulty for all their lives.