Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

LCD tv linked to my depression?

Sounds silly but my depression reached it peak about 2 years ago, the same time as I bought a LCD tv, and even then I realised that the pic wasnt as good as a CRT tv.

I have noticed that I feel better when I wach a CRt tv(old fashioned tv's not the modern flat ones for people that dont know lol) .

I have just moved flat a few weeks ago and felt no different watching a LCD screen, then got given a CRT and watched it and felt better again.

I kinda feel queasy watching a LCD tv as the colours look bland and not that sharp, which is true as its something called resolution, old tvs are low resolutions and newer ones higher so watching something that isnt designed for high definition looks horrible on a lcd but great on a CRT and the opposite is true, a film or game designed for a high definition tv looks great on a HDLCD but on better than usual on a CRT.

Could this be true?

I can't say that I've heard of any links, but I wonder if this might be linked to something along the lines of the coloured glasses that some people on the spectrum get prescribed.....Alas, I have no personal experience of that either, but someone else here might?

The only thing I can say with any confidence is that its hard to get good black tones on an LCD tv, due to the nature of the beast. But I can't fathom how that might link to depression. I believe that all TV screens, monitors and the like emit a tiny amount of UV rays, but can't find anything (easily understandable anythings at least!) on the net that compares these......

Alas, I have no personal experience of that either, but someone else here might?

This is a complex one

Depression is often affected by visual stimulus e.g. SAD - in particular the magnocellular system appears to be implicated. This system is dependent on colour for stimulus inhibition - but it is essentially a flicker / edge recognition system. Old fashioned screens flicker - I'd guess this is the effect that you are experiencing (most people find this flicker a problem - but a small number find it helpful - hue saturation modulation and frequency may be critical)

Alternatively there may be other causes - but they would need to be investigated professionally.

Could be similar to problems people have will new law energy lamps (fluorescent), which flash on and off 100 a second. Old type lamps had a more steady light.

Could be similar to problems people have will new law energy lamps (fluorescent), which flash on and off 100 a second. Old type lamps had a more steady light.

It could be frequency related. Old CRT TVs had a fairly low scan rate (the speed the screen is refreshed at) whereas HD TVs have a higher one. Could be the rate is wrong for your brain. I get a negative effect from music made from bits of other tunes played backwards. Feels like my brains being whisked. Horrible.