Sign in to follow this  
Gem

Finally introducing myself!!

Hello all!

Been browsing forums for a while, and thought it was time I introduced myself!!

My name is Gemma, and I am a mum to four sons aged from 9 to 1.

My eldest son was disgnosed with Aspergers just over a year ago, and we are currently seeking a diagnosis of possible AS, ADHD for our 4 year old.

My husband is in the Forces, so we move around the country alot, which as you can imagine really does not help our situation!!

Have had sooooo many problems with schools over the years, we are currently looking into possible boarding schools for our eldest to attend next year. He is actually looking forward to this (amazingly!!), but he has said he would like to go somewhere that there are other children like him, and where the teachers would understand him, bless!

I really wish that all teachers would take the time to read up on Aspergers/Autism, would make all our lives so much easier.

I am currently waiting on a decision for DLA, which after reading other peoples posts on here, makes me so angry that is seems to be pot luck as to whether you get a yes or no! :wallbash:

Would love to hear from anyone with advice on DLA or boarding schools for ASD kids.

I look forward to getting to know you all better

Gemma x

Welcome Gemma, :)

I hope the DLA decision is in your favour.

Re boarding schools: to get a place at an AS specific special school your son would need a statement (I'm assuming he hasn't got one), but there are mainstream boarding schools in the independent sector which offer a good education for pupils with AS, many because they have good discipline, small classes and can cater to individual needs, and offer additional support as part of the overall package.

To look for possible schools try the search facility on the Gabbitas site.

http://www.gabbitas.co.uk/index.aspx?p=1322

Searching "Independent school with special needs provision" might be a useful place to start.

They also produce a very useful handbook which your local main library should have.

Hope that helps

K x