warrenpenalver

finally getting somewhere!!

well ive been working at the shopping centre as a Security Guard for 8 weeks now. Kind of settled in. I prefer the car park as less people to deal with and when there are problems its usually pay machines jammed, people crashing into each other, old people lost thier car etc. Whereas in the shopping centre you are constantly dealing with shop lifters and children pretending to be gangsters which is much harder because you need to be more dynamic verbally which im not quick enough to do unless its a line ive heard before. Sure i can bend thier arm or smash them on the floor if they get violent etc but its when they start all the verbal rubbish they spout its hard to reply so ive learnt an "aggressive stare" straight into thier eyes which makes them shut up most of the time.

Ive also got my car running again despite rip off insurance being £1400 a year!! :wallbash: But at least im on the road :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: although I need a new set of rear tyres as ive burned off 3mm of tread in just under 80 miles and at £145 a tyre for the rare 10" wheels its expensive to replace them regularly so i shall have to not play around so much in the car.

I also finally had a mental health assessment with a clinical psychologist yesterday. After about 3 hours of me rambling on he has said i may have mild AS but needs to talk with me further as we had run an hour over time and not really covered everything he needed too. I felt stupid as he was quite worried with the questionaire answers i gave as i had ticked the box for having been violent towards someone and intimidating/threatening towards someone "in the last week" and he hadnt realised i was referring to incidents at work rather than outside work. I have another appointment in early may.

Hi Warren,

I'm glad your job is going well. You should let your boss know that you prefer working in the car park. That way, if it is possible, s/he might be able to try and make sure you spend most of your time out there.

It sounds like your assessment was very thorough, and the psychologist has set aside time to get a clear idea of what is going on with you. Don't feel silly about your mistake. You have taken the questions literally, and it may illustrate to the psychologist some of your communication difficulties. Did you manage to explain what you meant? If not, maybe you could write down exactly what you were referring to and take it to your next appointment.

I was wondering how you were doing - glad you've settled in your job, & are playing to your strengths - a hard stare & the strong silent approach seems like a good way to go :thumbs:

Hi, I was wondering how you were doing as well! glad to hear you are gettin on ok. the silent stare... good thinking >:D<<'> Hope you get your diagnosis. Enid

I agree with Tally about asking to work in the carpark - I suspect that many of your colleagues prefer to be inside so they may be grateful for someone who wants to be outside. I know when I worked in a supermarket they realised that I did actually enjoy the trolley round up (we had the most ridiculous shaped long carpark leading away from the shop towards a wood so the trolleys were well scattered) which the others hated so that was always my job on a Sunday morning :)

I felt stupid as he was quite worried with the questionaire answers i gave as i had ticked the box for having been violent towards someone and intimidating/threatening towards someone "in the last week" and he hadnt realised i was referring to incidents at work rather than outside work.

Ahh, psychological questionnaires - don't you just love 'em!!! :lol: :lol: I know when I had some recently they were asking about things like whether I was able to do the things I enjoyed, whether I had been doing the same things as always etc, and I ticked the not at all box for such questions as I'd been unwell and so unable to do things (as opposed to choosing not to due to depression which they were actually getting at). And then there was the question I took literally asking how easy I found it to 'pick someone up' and said 'depends how heavy they are'... :whistle::oops: Firstly, you're not silly, but then I suggest that you write down an explanation for your answers and either give it to them next time you go so they can put it on your file or write them a letter.

ive learnt an "aggressive stare" straight into thier eyes which makes them shut up most of the time.

Have you ever considered being a teacher? :lol: :lol: That sounds like you've perfected the 'teacher stare'!!

I explained the questionaaire at the time but still felt stupid. Shall see what happens next time and what he asks.

Ive not been on site much as ive been busy at work then when i get home i have no energy left for words etc.