Sign in to follow this  
sjb

Optional SATS

Had a note in DS's home/school diary that they are off timetable this week due to "Optional SATS" (great another week where he doesn't know what's happening from one day to the next)

Does that mean that the kids get to decide whether or not they want to do them or does the teacher decide who's doing them? any ideas?

Unfortunately, they aren't optional for the children, but the school.

The school must assess the children at KS1 (Year2) using a range of measures, mainly Teacher Assessment but they will also use Govt published SATs tests to confirm/inform the teacher assessment. The results of these must be sent to the LA to be used in official reports.

At the end of KS2 (in Year 6), the school must administer a range of tests under strict 'exam' conditions, during one week in May. There is a published timetable for these, so every Y6 child in England will be doing the same test at the same time, unless there are extenuating circumstances. These results are the ones that are published in 'league tables'.

The Govt also produce a set of SATs style tests for years 3,4and 5, which can also be used to inform/confirm the Teacher Assessment. These are the 'optional' SATs, bacause it is optional for the school to use them. They can also use them when and how they choose. Many schools choose to administer these tests under similar conditions and at the same time as the Y6 SATs. This can get the children used to being tested in this way, and also ensures that the whole school is relatively quiet and calm, with an 'exams' atmosphere during Y6 SATs time.

Actually, you may find that your DS is happier/calmer this week, as the timetable will be set out, and everyone is doing exactly the same thing in the classroom!

Had a note in DS's home/school diary that they are off timetable this week due to "Optional SATS" (great another week where he doesn't know what's happening from one day to the next)

Does that mean that the kids get to decide whether or not they want to do them or does the teacher decide who's doing them? any ideas?

What year is your child in ?

If your child has an ASD diagnosis and has SEN provision in place and you think that your child may be stressed by the optional SATS do ask the teacher what support is in place.

For key stage 2 SATS there are various arrangements the school can make internally.There are other arrangements that can be requested via the examining board.

It would be worth school using similar approaches to the ones they would use for KEY stage 2 SATS so that your child can cope and is able to become familiar with arrangements.Karen.

Unfortunately, they aren't optional for the children, but the school.

The school must assess the children at KS1 (Year2) using a range of measures, mainly Teacher Assessment but they will also use Govt published SATs tests to confirm/inform the teacher assessment. The results of these must be sent to the LA to be used in official reports.

At the end of KS2 (in Year 6), the school must administer a range of tests under strict 'exam' conditions, during one week in May. There is a published timetable for these, so every Y6 child in England will be doing the same test at the same time, unless there are extenuating circumstances. These results are the ones that are published in 'league tables'.

The Govt also produce a set of SATs style tests for years 3,4and 5, which can also be used to inform/confirm the Teacher Assessment. These are the 'optional' SATs, bacause it is optional for the school to use them. They can also use them when and how they choose. Many schools choose to administer these tests under similar conditions and at the same time as the Y6 SATs. This can get the children used to being tested in this way, and also ensures that the whole school is relatively quiet and calm, with an 'exams' atmosphere during Y6 SATs time.

Actually, you may find that your DS is happier/calmer this week, as the timetable will be set out, and everyone is doing exactly the same thing in the classroom!

HI.Interstingly the key stage 2 SATS are not until the 11-14th May.

The school must have decided to do optional SATS at a different time.Karen.

Civil disobedience is still an option.

People who comply with the demands of oppressive authority are weak spirited.

Hi. I do not agree with the post but to put it another way.

I have been informed by others on the Forum that even for key stage 2 SATS parents do have a right to withdraw their child.

So if you feel strongly enough that optional SATS are not in your child's best interest then you may well be able to do the same thing.

It may be worth talking to the school especially since there is some debate regarding whether KS2 SATS may be changed or abolished next year anyway.Karen.

he's in year 4

Then things to consider might be...

The stress of doing the test.

Whether he is likely to be able to do them...is he so far behind that he will not be able to.

Are you hoping that he will be able to do exams in future.

Might the practice be useful.

Might the SATS results provide helpful evidence to support Statutary Assessment or a request for more support.

Ben is doing KS2 SATS in May.We had a lengthy debate about whether he would find it too stressful.With two weeks to go he has actually risen to the challenge and is currently [today ] feeling very positive.Karen.

Hi. I do not agree with the post but to put it another way.

I have been informed by others on the Forum that even for key stage 2 SATS parents do have a right to withdraw their child.

So if you feel strongly enough that optional SATS are not in your child's best interest then you may well be able to do the same thing.

It may be worth talking to the school especially since there is some debate regarding whether KS2 SATS may be changed or abolished next year anyway.Karen.

You don't have to agree with my tactics but I strongly believe in voting with your feet. As a long time opponent of SATs it upsets me when parents pressure their kids to turn up at school and take the SATs exam simply to comply with or respect authority (namely the government because I have met many teachers who oppose SATs) or because it's the norm. Nobody can make a kid take SATs and it is not a punishable offence if they steadfastly refuse to turn up and take the exam.

hi,

i just thought that i'd mention that Connor has to do his sats this year and because the school know of his problems and what could happen they have come to certain arrangements for him.

He doesn't have to sit with all the other children doing the test he is going to a room on his own with a TA

A clock will be set for the length of the exam but it can be turned of as many times as Connor feels he need so he can run around the playground if nessesary or even just to have a bit of time out then restarted again when he is ready.

the TA will be able to read the question to him to help him understand them.

it might be worth mentioning your fears to the teacher and then maybe you could come up with some simular plans for your son.

Emma

You don't have to agree with my tactics but I strongly believe in voting with your feet. As a long time opponent of SATs it upsets me when parents pressure their kids to turn up at school and take the SATs exam simply to comply with or respect authority (namely the government because I have met many teachers who oppose SATs) or because it's the norm. Nobody can make a kid take SATs and it is not a punishable offence if they steadfastly refuse to turn up and take the exam.

Hi.If you read my post I support the parental right to withdraw a child from SATS.

I just do not agree with the way you express your opinion.

Karen.