Hi to everyone,

Our 5 year old son Brendan as been diagnosed with autism it was brought to our attention when he was 3 by a health visitor who told us he seems a little ADHD which at the time we did know he was different because as young as he was he took the phrase typical boy to huge extremes he likes to climb, but he is never in the garden on his own and doors and windows are allways locked our environment is locked down like a prison which is very hard as Brendan is one of six children, but we are finding the whole experience hard and at the moment we feel isolated we were told there is plenty of help and support but we just dont know where to look so we are here looking for help from any member with experience who has time to point us in the right direction,

Thanks Nick and Lesley.

Thanks smiley1590 for the reply Brendan as an official diagnosis he is autistic.

Edited by nick

heya

isolation is common factor ans often typical is put down when younger so do you think your son 'fits' ASD signs by looking closer or do you think he has ADHD or both? has anyone else in your family got spectrum disorder or signs of? when did start to appear 'different' from others? has any six siblings got signs of 'problems' i would go to GP and ask referal to local educational paedtrician to help support you and your son to get an official diagnosis? have u looked up ASD and what it is and how affects children when you say have to lock windows and doors to lock down like prison many parents with child with ASD have to do same thing as run away may get in touch with NAS by email and phone and talk over your situation with your son and the behaviour signs he shows towards everything? i know very hard road to go down alone that's why you need as much help and support as possible in place to help your son you and your other children as ASD affects everyone in the household i know difficult time keep getting yourself heard you've done right thing by joing this forum as yiou'll find lots of advice and experiences that maybe similiar which help understand you and your son better to help you and him read posts as people in same position as you i know feels lonely and scary many feels like fighting a losing battle with getting the 'right' help and support! what do you as his parents struggle with? and what about your son?

good luck with everything

hope this helps!

XKLX

Hi nick. Welcome to the Forum. :)

There are lots of people around with experience with children with ASD.I hope that soon when you have had a bit of time to read around and ask questions you might feel a bit less isolated.

Do you currently have any support from CAMHS,a paediatrician or in school ?

Karen.

Hi nick. Welcome to the Forum. :)

There are lots of people around with experience with children with ASD.I hope that soon when you have had a bit of time to read around and ask questions you might feel a bit less isolated.

Do you currently have any support from CAMHS,a paediatrician or in school ?

Karen.

We had the diagnosis from CAMHS and 1 follow up appointment and we are receiving good support from school as we notified the school of Brendans ways the climbing and running away given the chance and the school was very helpfull.

thanks for the help Nick and Lesley

We had the diagnosis from CAMHS and 1 follow up appointment and we are receiving good support from school as we notified the school of Brendans ways the climbing and running away given the chance and the school was very helpfull.

thanks for the help Nick and Lesley

Hello, have you tried the National Autistic Society or maybe your local one if you have one? Do you think it would help to go on courses and meet other parents/learn more? The NAS run courses which are great if that is the kind of thing you are looking for? I know how you feel, my son is nearly 5 and school are great but it doesn't really help the home life (especially as he is only doing half days). Hopefully you will get lots of support here. Good luck.

Hello, have you tried the National Autistic Society or maybe your local one if you have one? Do you think it would help to go on courses and meet other parents/learn more? The NAS run courses which are great if that is the kind of thing you are looking for? I know how you feel, my son is nearly 5 and school are great but it doesn't really help the home life (especially as he is only doing half days). Hopefully you will get lots of support here. Good luck.

Hi we have been on the N.A.S website but the amount of information was mind boggling its all kind of new to us thats why we came to forums knowing the information well get will be beneficial because its coming from parents and there experiences over the years coping with autism.

thanks for the reply thomastank

nick and Lesley.