pearl

Mobile phone help pleeeeeease!

Hi, I'm going abroad for the 1st time in ages on sunday, & picked up a Post Office leaflet about using your mobile abroad - it talks about "enabling" your phone to roam abroad, but I don't know how to do this. The impression I'm getting from both Vodaphone & Nokia sites is that your phone automatically adapts, is this right?

Thankyou :)

Not necessarily, it depends on which country you are going to and what your contract is, who your phone supplier is, etc. It is worth phoning them up beforehand to check if they can do it and what the tariff is.

When I go on holiday I don't switch my phone on. It normally only gets switched on if I'm away from home and my son is at school in case they need to get in touch with me. Most of the rest of the time it just sits there in case off emergency's, my emergency's. And I don't suppose my number is known to more that a dozen people.

Its just in case JP needs to text me. Just been on Nokia website, my phone is so old its not even featured any more so can't check! Think we'll have to concentrate on mr p's which is more recent.

Its just in case JP needs to text me. Just been on Nokia website, my phone is so old its not even featured any more so can't check! Think we'll have to concentrate on mr p's which is more recent.

Hi.The supermarkets do some really good deals.

It is often possible to pick up the basic nokia for next to nothing if you use pay as you go and supermarket own deal.

That is what I did last time. :)

It may be worth a search.Karen.

Just been on Nokia website, my phone is so old its not even featured any more so can't check!

Know the feeling. I got mine about 7 years ago so compared with today's models its gigantic and runs on steam. Even so I cant do texting, the buttons are too small and I object to having to put my reading glasses on to use the phone.

Edited by chris54

Hi Pearl,

I have a Vodaphone and I was in Spain a couple of weeks ago. I did nothing with it, and as soon as I was out of the airport building in Girona and able to switch it on again, I was able to send and receive texts with my OH in the UK, so it did automatically adapt. I didn't try to call UK but someone called me within Spain and it worked fine.

I also had an automatic message from Vodaphone asking me if I wanted to switch to some international price plan - I didn't as I wasn't sure it was worth it: I was only there for the weekend. I do know that I sent a lot of texts over the weekend and it didn't seem to cost a lot.

Hope that helps,

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Thanks peeps. Just phoned Vodaphone & after he'd finished laughing at the archaeological relic that is my phone, this nice young scotsman told me what the website apparently couldn't - it will indeed adapt automatically.

Think you are talking about Passport K - I passed on it too - maybe next time. Unfortunately I just miss out on the new reduced roaming charges, that starts June 1st.

Know the feeling. I got mine about 7 years ago so compared with today's models its gigantic and runs on steam. Even so I cant do texting, the buttons are too small and I object to having to put my reading glasses on to use the phone.

were you & mr p separated at birth? :lol: I bet you jab at the buttons with your finger like him. Me, I use my thumb, and I've mastered predictive B)

Hi.The supermarkets do some really good deals.

It is often possible to pick up the basic nokia for next to nothing if you use pay as you go and supermarket own deal.

That is what I did last time.

It may be worth a search.Karen.

But I lurve my Hello Kitty phone & want to keep it as long as poss, we understand each other! :lol: I was trying to work mr p's newer one last night (he didnt even know how to check his balance) & nearly threw it out of the window!

So all I have to do now is get rid of this high temperature - think I'm coming down with pig pox :wallbash:

Thanks peeps. Just phoned Vodaphone & after he'd finished laughing at the archaeological relic that is my phone, this nice young scotsman told me what the website apparently couldn't - it will indeed adapt automatically.

Think you are talking about Passport K - I passed on it too - maybe next time. Unfortunately I just miss out on the new reduced roaming charges, that starts June 1st.

were you & mr p separated at birth? :lol: I bet you jab at the buttons with your finger like him. Me, I use my thumb, and I've mastered predictive B)

But I lurve my Hello Kitty phone & want to keep it as long as poss, we understand each other! :lol: I was trying to work mr p's newer one last night (he didnt even know how to check his balance) & nearly threw it out of the window!

So all I have to do now is get rid of this high temperature - think I'm coming down with pig pox :wallbash:

>:D<<'> I hope not.You won't get out of the front door if anyone decides you have that....you will have to get a flu friend to go abroad for you. :lol:

Im with O2...the first time I took the phone abroad I had to ring them and they did whatever it is they do their end for it to work abroad...now it just changes depending on the country im in.

It all worked out fine. Switched my phone on in Rome, it found a network all by itself - sorted.

Course JP didn't bother switching his phone on in England so I was still scuppered :lol:

Hi pearl,

If you search for "hello kitty mobile phone" on a popular online auction site you may be pleasantly suprised :thumbs:

KJ

Having seen your phone I do wonder if when you say 'it worked', you actually meant 'you found a piece of string long enough to reach back to the UK'? :devil:

Hi pearl,

If you search for "hello kitty mobile phone" on a popular online auction site you may be pleasantly suprised :thumbs:

KJ

Awwww, I want one! :wub: mines just a cover on my old Nokia.

Neil - Its the only antique I possess :lol: