Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

NAS Harrogate Conference 10th July 2009

I have been sent a poster about the NAS Harrogate Conference on 10th July.

Thought I'd post it for anyone down south! I think Harrogate is down south???

Anyway, one of their speakers is Olga Bogdashina, who I've mentioned before. She alone is well worth seeing.

Down south? Harrogate is in God's Own Country (North Yorkshire for those not in the know) - tsk, tsk, tsk :shame:

I wouldn't stress it though: A few years ago the Conservatives held their party conference in Harrogate and some Labourite* said that they hoped the Tories would enjoy being by the sea - Harrogate's 60 miles away from the coast :whistle:

* I may have this backwards - it could have been the Tories demonstrating a complete lack of geography (it's early, my brain isn't working properly) :wacko:

I know! I'm showing myself up to be a right numpty. :rolleyes:

But Olga is worth seeing for anyone who is in the area.

I think Harrogate is down south???

EEE, Betty'll be turnin' in 'er grave! Tha'll ne'er get a fat rascall that way, lass!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That will make no sense whatsoever to anyone south of Watford Gap!!! (Maybe even South of Leeds!!!)

Seriously though Sally, do you have any more details?

I think Harrogate is down south???

It is ...

... from Scotland. :devil::whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teehee: if you spell check 'Harrogate' it suggests changing it to 'Arrogate' - dialect spelling! :ph34r: :ph34r: :lol:

Teehee: if you spell check 'Harrogate' it suggests changing it to 'Arrogate' - dialect spelling! :ph34r: :ph34r: :lol:

Aye, Mumble, for themat's from t'other par's o' York-shiiire, loike. Them as comes from 'arrogit call it Harrow-gaaate, all posh-like!!!! Mesel', ah dint kna wee-er thi were taalkin' abaat a' first!

:lol::D:D

:curlers: Where's the flat cap emoticon?

Aye, Mumble, for themat's from t'other par's o' York-shiiire, loike. Them as comes from 'arrogit call it Harrow-gaaate, all posh-like!!!! Mesel', ah dint kna wee-er thi were taalkin' abaat a' first!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Erm, BTW, 'themat'? Is that to put 'thecup' on? :unsure::ph34r: (seriously, it's bugging me, I worked out what the rest was, but not that...)

:curlers: Where's the flat cap emoticon?

:police:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though Sally, do you have any more details?

This was what was on the email I received from them:

Dr Olga Bogdashina - MA Education (Autism), PhD (Linguistics) has worked extensively in the field of autism as teacher, lecturer and researcher, with a particular interest in sensory-perceptual and communication problems in autism. Since 1994, she has been the director of the first Day Centre for autistic children in Ukraine and the President of the Autism Society, Ukraine. Olga teaches and lectures around the world. She is currently a Visiting Lecturer at Birmingham University and Consultant Psychologist for Services for Adults with Autism, Doncaster, UK. She has a teenage autistic son.

Julie Bruce - is a parent of two teenagers with disabilities; one son aged 17 with Aspergers Syndrome and a son 14 who, as a baby, suffered a serious brain injury. She has worked as a volunteer for Barnardo’s for several years as an Independent Parental Supporter, and has chaired a local parent’s forum. She is currently in her final year of a PhD at York University researching parent participation in service development.

Professor Digby Tantam – is a psychotherapist, counsellor, psychologist, and psychiatrist. He has worked in the NHS for over thirty years, and as a University Professor for nearly twenty. He is currently Clinical Professor of Psychotherapy at the University of Sheffield, where he is Director of the Centre for the Study of Conflict and Reconciliation, and an Honorary Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge. He is a fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, and the Higher Education Academy, and an associate fellow of the British Psychological Society.

Lisa Pitkeathly – is the NAS officer who supported the setting up of this Branch in 2007. Amongst other projects she has worked with Durham and North Yorkshire Police on the ‘autism alert card’. She has just restarted the role of NAS Regional Officer for Yorkshire and Humberside.

Sue Weeds - working as a school teaching assistant with someone with AS sparked a real interest for Sue. She went on to study Language and Human Communication at York St John University; her dissertation was a case study of the Communicative abilities of a young person with Asperger Syndrome. Whilst continuing academic studies in Asperger Syndrome and communication Sue works as NAS Education and Employment Support Coordinator for our region.

If you want contact details, let me know and I can PM them to you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Erm, BTW, 'themat'? Is that to put 'thecup' on? :unsure::ph34r: (seriously, it's bugging me, I worked out what the rest was, but not that...)

'for themat's from t'other parts o'Yorksiiiire...'

themat's....them that's...or, more correctly...them that are.....or those that are....I mean those who are....

So, it's...

'for those who are from the other parts of Yorkshire'

See why The Queen wanted it to be just her English?

:wacko::blink::P

This was what was on the email I received from them:

Dr Olga Bogdashina - MA Education (Autism), PhD (Linguistics) has worked extensively in the field of autism as teacher, lecturer and researcher, with a particular interest in sensory-perceptual and communication problems in autism. Since 1994, she has been the director of the first Day Centre for autistic children in Ukraine and the President of the Autism Society, Ukraine. Olga teaches and lectures around the world. She is currently a Visiting Lecturer at Birmingham University and Consultant Psychologist for Services for Adults with Autism, Doncaster, UK. She has a teenage autistic son.

Julie Bruce - is a parent of two teenagers with disabilities; one son aged 17 with Aspergers Syndrome and a son 14 who, as a baby, suffered a serious brain injury. She has worked as a volunteer for Barnardo’s for several years as an Independent Parental Supporter, and has chaired a local parent’s forum. She is currently in her final year of a PhD at York University researching parent participation in service development.

Professor Digby Tantam – is a psychotherapist, counsellor, psychologist, and psychiatrist. He has worked in the NHS for over thirty years, and as a University Professor for nearly twenty. He is currently Clinical Professor of Psychotherapy at the University of Sheffield, where he is Director of the Centre for the Study of Conflict and Reconciliation, and an Honorary Senior Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Cambridge. He is a fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy, and the Higher Education Academy, and an associate fellow of the British Psychological Society.

Lisa Pitkeathly – is the NAS officer who supported the setting up of this Branch in 2007. Amongst other projects she has worked with Durham and North Yorkshire Police on the ‘autism alert card’. She has just restarted the role of NAS Regional Officer for Yorkshire and Humberside.

Sue Weeds - working as a school teaching assistant with someone with AS sparked a real interest for Sue. She went on to study Language and Human Communication at York St John University; her dissertation was a case study of the Communicative abilities of a young person with Asperger Syndrome. Whilst continuing academic studies in Asperger Syndrome and communication Sue works as NAS Education and Employment Support Coordinator for our region.

If you want contact details, let me know and I can PM them to you.

Thanks TheNeil..have pm'd you