bid

Cleaning a vintage wedding dress at home

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully cleaned a vintage wedding dress at home?

It is from the 50s, slipper satin with a net overlay.

I know the theory of what to do from my museum days, but have never actually cleaned any vintage textiles myself...checking on the internet the methods suggested seem to be the same as my knowledge.

Has anyone actually tackled this successfully at home? :ph34r:

Boho :unsure:

Edited by bid

Thanks MO3...I think I'll email, as I have some specific questions about the netting in particular :)

My main concern is that as I'm thinking of doing this for someone else, I really don't want to mess it up!

Boho :)

Edited by bid

Well, I've just collected the dress, and I'm really excited about getting started!

I'm thinking I'm going to add some sequins and sparklies to the centres of some of the lace flowers... :devil:

Boho :dance:

Edited by bid

I'm thinking I'm going to add some sequins and sparklies to the centres of some of the lace flowers... :devil:

Oooh yes. And wear the stripy socks with it. :hypno: :hypno: :devil:

My main concern is that as I'm thinking of doing this for someone else, I really don't want to mess it up!

Boho :)

Oh no!!! The pressure! :lol:

Any chance of any piccies of the frock in question? :photo:

Oh no!!! The pressure! :lol:

Any chance of any piccies of the frock in question? :photo:

Yes, I thought I would take some 'before', 'during' and 'after' piccies :)

The wedding is about a month away...I'm off to get supplies tomorrow, and think I will wash the net/lace bolero jacket then, and the dress the day after :ph34r:

I'm so excited!! :bounce::lol:

Yes, I thought I would take some 'before', 'during' and 'after' piccies :)

The wedding is about a month away...I'm off to get supplies tomorrow, and think I will wash the net/lace bolero jacket then, and the dress the day after :ph34r:

I'm so excited!! :bounce::lol:

Bid! I thought it was only me that got excited about hand-washing! :ph34r::bounce:

(For all you non-laundry orientated peeps out there, that's washing by hand, not washing of the hands :lol::lol::lol: )

Is there anything we should know???

(and, yes, I haven't been around much)

Sadly it's not for me! :lol:

It's my aunt's dress, for my cousin's fiancee.

Had a bad day to-day, autie-wise, so only managed to buy the gentle detergent...but hopefully tomorrow I shall tackle the jacket! :clap: I also need to fashion some kind of 'mannequin' to support the dress while I sew on the sparklies: I think I shall have to use my tripod airer thingy padded with white towels...

Edited by bid

Have just washed the jacket :ph34r::ph34r:

Unfortunately now it's clean I can see a lot of teeny repairs needed to the netting...and some stains that I'm wary of trying too hard to remove as the netting is so delicate. But at least it's clean! Really with repairs to netting or lace, etc, in a museum you would put tulle behind and stitch it carefully to support the torn fabric, but I don't think I can do that because it will show. But the netting is a double layer, and most of the rips are in the top layer, so I think maybe I could try to sort of darn them very neatly...:unsure:

Not sure whether I will need to use something like spray starch when I press it to give it some 'body', as I think originally it had some kind of sizing on it.

Still, I've made a start! :D Just hope it will look OK when it's all done :pray:

Edited by bid

If I ever come on here and bounce about cleaning a vintage wedding dress again stop me!!

Have just spent 3 and a half hours doing teeny diagonal darns on the jacket :crying:

Boho :wacko:

No, not even finished the jacket yet!! :crying:

Finishing it tomorrow I hope, and taking it for inspection on Monday. If they're happy, will tackle the dress next!

I'm thinking I will only try to properly clean parts of the dress. It has metal boning in the bodice, which I'm worried might rust if I wash the whole thing. So I'm going to wash the netting shoulder straps, have a go at the sweat stains :o (will probably sew neat little satin patches over them on the inside as I don't think they will come out), and probably sponge the various skirts.

Then spray-starch the buckram?? under skirt to make it stick out again, press the other skirts on the wrong side and then loads of fabric freshener spray! And then some mother-of-pearl sequins I already have and some little crystal beads!!

Never again! :P:lol:

Boho :wacko:

You probably know this already, so I apologise in advance if I'm telling you what you already know, but hanging the dress on the line overnight will really help with any odours (the dew moistens it just enough to 'wash' it, I think), and then leaving it in sunshine should help to bleach out some of the stains. Also, bicarbinate of soda is good for odours...could you cover the offending areas in (dry) bicarb and leave it for a bit, see if they get any better?

Nearly finished the jacket...got fed up of darning the teeny rips, so spent a happy morning sewing on mother-of-pearl sequins with a teeny crystal bead in the middle of each one in the centre of the lace flowers appliqued onto the net :clap:

Just got to darn under the arms, and sew sequins/beads onto the lace applique on each pointed cuff of the sleeves.

Feeling a bit more positive about the whole thing now, as the sequins and beads look absolutely garjuss :D

You probably know this already, so I apologise in advance if I'm telling you what you already know, but hanging the dress on the line overnight will really help with any odours (the dew moistens it just enough to 'wash' it, I think), and then leaving it in sunshine should help to bleach out some of the stains. Also, bicarbinate of soda is good for odours...could you cover the offending areas in (dry) bicarb and leave it for a bit, see if they get any better?

I wondered about that, and I would if it was my dress, but I'm worried about cats, etc...so I don't think I dare! :lol:

Will post some piccies when I'm done! :bounce:

ive just fished my wedding dress out of the loft :o we had the roof done last yr and some dirt had got onto my dress :tearful: Anyway my dh has taken it to work as they have a dry cleaning service so im hoping it will come back nice and i will be keeping it safe in my wardrobe!!! God know what the dry cleaner will think i have done when they see it :rolleyes:

Hope you manage to get your done Bid will be nice to see the pics :)

Finished!! I think I've spent about 20 hours on it :wacko:

Dress (you can't see in the piccie, but I've sewn a sequin in the centre of each alternate lace design on the skirt): http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn117/boho2/006.jpg

Jacket: http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn117/boho2/003.jpg

Bodice detail (with sequins and teeny crystal beads cunningly disguising marks and repairs): http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn117/boho2/007.jpg

Boho :clap:

[ignore the fact that the door in the piccies is minus a top coat...that has to wait for the summer hols :lol: ]

Edited by bid

Well, the wedding was today, and the dress looked wonderful, didn't fall apart and the bride was thrilled with it! :thumbs:

I even got a mention in the speeches :wub:;)

Edited by bid