Sign in to follow this  
victoria

Early Years Funding

Hi

I'm new to this group - firstly what a fantastic site - can't believe its taken me this long to come across it.

I have 2 pre-school ASD sons who both have a DX. My youngest (just 3 yrs) goes to a pre-school nursery and has been given some one-to-one support for 75% of his time which is the max time my LEA will provide. He is non verbal and really struggles (and so do the nursery!) the time he doesn't have support.

A friend of mine comes under a different LEA. Her son has yet to receive a DX but their authority have given them 100% support.

How can the different LEA's have such different views on the same condition or does everything really just come down to funding?

Also my son is getting very little other support - a SALT visits the nursery every couple of months, but I feel since his dx last November, I've had very little support. Is there anything else I should be entitled to?

Hi Victoria,

You are right GREAT forum I would say probably the best :thumbs: and some really clued up people.

How can the different LEA's have such different views on the same condition or does everything really just come down to funding?

Because the Government only issues guidelines and recommendations and leave it to each individual Authority to make of them what they will? Of use them as they wish. There are many of us who believe that this issue should be addressed nationally but we keep having to pass go without receiving our �200 while our kids continue to suffer - sorry I know it's not funny, but we spend a great deal of our time :wallbash:

The funding is usually down to the school now not the LEA but this may not be the case for Nurseries?

Is the Nursery having your son assessed for a Staement? If he can't cope at Nursery and they with him he will need support at school. Is he on School Action Plus?

There will be others here (Nellie for one) who can answer your questions. The human resources here are second to none B)

Carole

Also have two sons with ASD

Edited by carole

Welcome Victoria, glad you found us! :)

I think it's important to become knowledgeable about SEN procedures. You are unlikely to be offered the help you need. There's a lot to take in, take your time and concentrate on the parts that concern you.

You can download the leaflet 'Early Years Extra Help' on the ACE (Advisory Centre for Education) website. http://www.ace-ed.org.uk/

NAS information on SEN procedure, NAS information sheets on Education

You will find information on early years under getting help.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=303

Useful Documents on SEN Procedure., For parents of children with SEN.

I recommend the ACE book mentioned here. http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=675

SEN Support and Information Services, SEN advice, information and support

I recommend IPSEA and the NAS for support and information you can find their helpline numbers here.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...p?showtopic=675

The Code of Practice stresses that Early Years Action and Early Years Action Plus are not hurdles to be crossed before a statutory assessment. If your child has more serious difficulties they may go straight to a statutory assessment. You can apply for a statutory assessment yourself. Although I would speak to one of the helplines first.

Hope this helps,

Nellie xx

Hi Victoria,

I was just curious about your post. Is your child or your friends child have a statement? My ds started pre-school in January. He has a dx of ASD and he struggles at pre-school, but he does not have any 1:1 help at all. The school says they have no additional funds to pay for this. I am in the process of applying for a statement.

pim

Thanks for the responses so far - I have had more information from this site than I have had from the professionals over the past year!

I did not realise you could apply for SEN for a 3 yr old child - I was lead to believe it was relevant for when a child started full time education so its something I will get started.

In response to pim, neither my child or my friends child have a statement. My child has early years action plus funding which is provided by the LEA rather than full time 1-1 support without a dx, something my LEA would not even consider. It is so frustrating there is no consistency across the LEA's and your postcode determines how much support your child does or doesn't get.

In our experience we have encountered inconsistency between different areas within the same LEA. :wacko:

How many hours a week are your son and your friend's child at nursery? I've heard that some LEAs will only provide help for the 12.5 hours a week that the nursery vouchers for 3+yr-olds cover (the 5 x 2.5hrs sessions).

My youngest is due to start at a nursery later this year so thanks for all those links. :thumbs:

Hi

Yes I believe they only provide support for the 12.5 government funded sessions or in my LEA's case, a maximum of 75% support is available.

My youngest son gets 5 hrs out of 7.5 hrs support and my oldest gets 7.5 out of 12.5.

We have just started the statementing process for my oldest who starts school in September and from reading the comments in here, it sounds like we'll have a fight on our hands!

Thanks for the info so far

V