Sign in to follow this  
heleno

Accessing your children's school records

Just wondered if anyone has asked their school for a copy of their children's school records and if so were you charged and how much?

I did this in primary and there was no cost - it showed me some very surprising tracking they had in place that involved recording all my son's misdemeanours but none of his success's.

I've asked again in secondary and they are charging me £10, don't think they really wanted to show me but they have to.

They suggested i sat in a room with a member of staff and looked through it, at no cost, but i wanted my own copy.

So, what have you been charged ??

The charge is according to the amount of pages and it follows that a child with special needs has far more pages than one without, hence a higher price! fair?

If schools followed the rules it's unlikely the cost would be substantial. It sounds as though you were charged way over the odds, heleno!

Some schools may not charge at all - my daughter's didn't. But by then they knew we were having a tough time, I was on the warpath and they were trying hard not to upset me. They provided me with a cosy corner to peruse the file at my leisure and the secretary willingly copied everything I wanted.

Actually the SEN file was disappointing - it mostly consisted of information on ASD we had given them ourselves! At least they hadn't binned it....

K x