Sign in to follow this  
Cat

Input required - Lamb Inquiry

Autism-in-Mind will be meeting with the Lamb Enquiry Team, including Brian Lamb, next Thursday. We are trying to gather some information wrapped around parental experiences within the school system to present to Brian Lamb. We have set up a very short survey which can be found here.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=mTFJ...EeajpVuuQ_3d_3d

There are only 7 questions most of which require a yes/no type of answer but you can leave a comment if you wish to do so. All responses will be 100% anonymous we are not collecting any personal data at all. It would be good if we could give Brian Lamb a snap shot of life in the school system with a sen/disabled child. Please feel free to forward this to anyone that you know who has a child with a sen/disability who would like to take part in the survey. The Survey will close automatically after we received 100 responses.

Cat

Thanks Cat, I have completed mine too!

I would also be very grateful if you would raise the following points with Mr Lamb:

I have read somewhere, maybe on here, that there is a proposal to abolish Statements altogether. This is very worrying, as a Statement is the ONLY way to have the special educational needs of your child protected, legally, by law.

IF there are any proposals to replace Statements, then any replacement MUST have the same legal status, enshrined in law. This is vital, to protect the rights of our children.

The delegation of SEN funding to schools is very problematic. The formula used, based on index of social deprivation, does not relate to the prevalence of ASD, which cuts across all demographic groups in society.

Assessment and provision of special educational needs MUST be separated, as previously recommend in 2006.

In its report on Special Educational Needs published in July 2006, the Education and Skills Committee recommended that assessment of need and funding of provision should no longer be carried out by the same body:

“There is an inbuilt conflict of interest in that it is the duty of the local authority both to assess the needs of the child and to arrange provision to meet those needs, and all within a limited resource. The link must be broken between assessment and funding of provision”. (Paragraph 99)

Thank you!

Do let us know how the meeting goes.

Great BIG Thank you to everyone who responded to the AIM/SEN in the system survey. We have now reached our target of 100 responses and the survey has automatically closed. I will post a link to the results of the survey as soon as I can.

Cat