hsmum

Becoming more noticeably AS

Hello,

My son is 10 years old. Over the summer break, I have noticed that he is becoming more 'typically' AS. His behaviour, prior to the last month or so, seems to have been a little immature with some features of AS, such as difficulties making friends and noticeably pedantic speech stlye. However now he seems to: be extremely anxious about very 'trivial' matters; ask repetitive questions; plays largely on his own, concentrating in depth on matters of timing, movement and detail. He has become intensely serious and relationships between siblings and peers seem to reduce him to strops and rages. His moods have become unpredicatable and his speech has become even more formal. I really do not know how to interpret the change. Do AS traits become more noticeable as a child grows up? Are the traits just part of approaching adolescence? Is it something to worry about?

J

Unfortunately he's at the age where friendships and relationships become more settled and serious in school: fleeting 'will you play with me' relationships are replaced by feelings orientated reciprocal relationships. At this age too, children are becoming more aware of difference and fitting in and will begin more to reject what they see as different (this is all generalised, I'm not saying this is what all children do). He may be finding it harder to fit in (on his or others' terms) and be feeling more alone.

For me, anxiety makes me more autistic (it's a strange phrase, but I do know exactly what you mean). After all if you think about the 'meltdown' which is sometimes considered the extreme of autistic behaviour, this is more likely to come about at times of extreme anxiety or be a reaction to not feeling in control, i.e. anxious about what is/will happen. His behaviours may predominantly be a result of his anxiety and the cause of that may need to be addressed (not always easy).

Additionally, I wonder if the fact that it is the school holidays and he does not have his usual routine may be causing problems (possibly causing the anxiety or part of it even?)

My lad is doing exactly the same n ive been wondering bout posting the same question as you lol and wondering the same..... >:D<<'>

Yes, I found that too. DS now 13 but it wasnt until he was in Y6 at school that he was diagnosed, as before that he traits were not as obvious, it did seem to be as though he became autisic overnight! or more autisic, especially as the years move on, he had had a huge growth spurt, is now bigger that me and his voise has broken! so he looks like a big bloke but act like about 8, so yes it is really obvious now, have to say he is really no problem at the mo but we did go through it!!!!! as many who have read my posts will know, but it does seem that many do at this time, and knowing that others went through it and lived to tell the tale kept me sane at nights. >:D<<'> Enid

Thank you for the posts. There is plenty of empathy and helpful advice. However, I know that in some cases children with autism may 'deteriorate' at adolescence, for example, a child who spoke in his/her younger years may lose speech in adolescence. Because H's behaviour is changing mainly in the traits associated with the spectrum, I was just wondering if there could be a link.

Enid, I know exactly how you feel. H is a big lad for his age and we had his hair cut last week. As a result, he has had a few wary looks and sharp comments from the 'macho' men around here.

Hi Hsmum

This is an interesting thread as i have just been discussing with my dh about our son ds1 he is nearly nine and since the summer hols have started his asd traits seem to be more prominant and i was wondering the same as you, do traits become more noticeable as a child grows up? Im going on a course in Sept for parents which im looking forward to and hopefully i will learn more about this. Just thought id let you know we are having a similar experience :)

Brooke