Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

Well if you ask a stupid question...

:oops: I did it again... (as the song goes :unsure:)

Think I may have alienated myself further (yep, I didn't think it was possible either :lol:) from my fellow students.

I've been trying really hard to cook 'proper' food with real ingredients at least twice a week (not easy when cooking doesn't come naturally, co-ordination is 'interesting', timing off and you only have a shared microwave and hotplate to work with...) in my bid to prove that I can be independent.

Anyway, having managed the fishmongers (apparently the fish I wanted was neither a sad sole nor a salmon as a salmon wouldn't fit in a pan, well I didn't know that... :rolleyes: - and they're always wary of a penguin walking into their shop) I found a quiet time in the kitchen and was lightly searing (yep, I even looked up recipes :o) my fish.

Cue entry of other students wishing to cook who peer into my pan.

Other student: "Is that a fish?"

Me (very confused because the thing in my pan has a head, tail and doesn't look like much other than a fish): "No, it's a baby tiger cub" (yes, I realise you don't need 'baby' and 'cub' in the same sentence and no I don't know why I picked tiger).

Other student: "Whateva" (walks out)

Now you see I'm really confused, I wasn't trying to call her thick but surely she must have known it was a fish so I assumed the only option was that she was joking. My reaction from stunned at the question to response was also rather to quick to engage brain :oops: Maybe I should have just said yes?? But she could see it was :wacko:

One confuzzled Mumble (which proves that eating fish doesn't help your brain! :eat:)

Mmmm, hate to say it, but she might have been just trying to start a bit of a chat?

Often stating the obvious is an easy conversational 'opener'.

Boho :unsure:

Mmmm, hate to say it, but she might have been just trying to start a bit of a chat?

Often stating the obvious is an easy conversational 'opener'.

I did consider that afterwards - unfortunately my brain doesn't work in real time as it's too fast or too slow whichever is least helpful.

OK, let's suppose it does (or similar and I recognise it as similar) happen again.

Student: "Is that a fish?"

Mumble: ... What would be a good next line, clearly just a 'yes' won't get me much further?

You could have said something like 'Yes, it's salmon. Thought it would be a nice summery meal.'

If she wants to chat she can go from there!

Boho :wacko:

Edited by bid

You could have said something like 'Yes, it's salmon. Thought it would be a nice summery meal.'

If she wants to chat she can go from there!

Hindsight's great, huh? :tearful:

Don't worry >:D<<'>

I'm always getting stuff like this wrong :lol:

And at the weekend we were at a barbecue given by DD#2's godmother and partner (she is a widower, her late husband who died 8 years ago was DD#2's godfather). Anyway, I was introduced to her father and asked if I'd met him before, so I said 'Oh yes, at the weddinnggg...' :sick:

I have a friend who says he just waits for me to 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' when it comes to autie conversational gaffes/misunderstandings! ;)

Bid >:D<<'>

Edited by bid

Sorry, but someone looking at a fish in a pan and asking "Is that a fish?" has got to be the worst "chat" opener of all time :lol: I would undoubtedly have responded in a similar manner, Mumble. Maybe "Yes, but don't worry, it's dead." :thumbs:

There's a phrase: "Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, but the highest form of wit." Or perhaps it's the other way around, I don't recall... :rolleyes:

Edited by LordGorse

Well the student involved has been really 'huffy' with me since, making exaggerated exits from the kitchen if I go in, appearing to think she is a horse and blowing/vibrating her lips when she walks past me. Clearly didn't appreciate my comment.

Oh well, you lose some, you lose some. :(

No sense of humour, some people :rolleyes: Maybe she's just angry that you didn't offer her a slice of tiger :jester:

I did consider that afterwards - unfortunately my brain doesn't work in real time as it's too fast or too slow whichever is least helpful.

I relate with that completely It's easy to think about it afterwards but I find instant reactions very difficult...because there's all these things I got to try and notice, I try to read body language, tone of voice and so on which doesn't come natural what so ever so if I have no time to think I do the first thing I think of and do similar things. What I've been told though is that my tone of voice doesn't change when I'm happy or sad. So when I say something as a joke it's viewed differently sometimes because I don't change my tone to indicate I mean it in a joking manner. How I've been trying to deal with that is by pretty much over exaggerating my tone of voice and facial expressions, which to me feels false and really emotionally tiring.

I'm not sure if you speak in a similar way, but if you do maybe over exaggerating might help for them to understand. Can't guarantee it though.

Edited by I'm Aspergers Not Stupid

No sense of humour, some people :rolleyes: Maybe she's just angry that you didn't offer her a slice of tiger :jester:

OH MY that is so so funny!!!!!!!!Some people are just so boring!I am a female but I have to say I do not understand females,thank god I have four boys!Girls are just so bitchy and generally unpleasant.Do not be surprised if she changes again and starts up another conversation,hopefully a more productive one this time!I had an experience like this in the end I ended up swearing at the girl because she also kept making rude sounds when I entered the room and spoke about me behind my back,I left two days after the argument.Hopefully your situation will be more positive!