Sign in to follow this  
Athena

Moving house

We are going to move house shortly, and I am dreading it! DD gets upset if someone sits in her chair at dinner time, I just don't know how she will cope with moving house!

Looking for any advice to make it less traumatic for her (and the rest of the family!)

all I can offer is give lots of warning and explain why you are moving.

DS flipped out completely when we even suggested it as an idea - but we took him along to view some houses, explained why we were thinking of it and slowly he became less anxious. in the end, we didn't move, which he was much happier about than I was LOL. But loking at houses and discusiing how we could fit his old stuff into the new room etc helped a bit.

We are also looking to move and my ds is struggling to understand, at the moment we have not sold ours but if and when we do, when we have found somewhere i will be doing lots of visits and also i think a social storey will help. Any Pictures you can show your dd im sure would also help prepare her :)

Thank you for your replies. We have started talking to DD about moving, and she has told us that the room must be painted the same colour as her existing room, which is fine, and I hope that it helps!

Will use social stories as well. I think that I am just prepared for a rough couple of weeks!

I find my son finds smaller changes in a familar environment harder to deal with than a complete change. I think this is somehow connected to 'gestalt' (whole) learning. So my son can be perfectly fine to go on holiday (and we can be travelling for 24 hours to get there on various modes of transport throughout the night). Yet whilst on holiday he might not recognise familar food (because it is out of the learnt context). Or he might eat food he totally refuses at home. Just talk to her, as you are doing. If she needs the new room to be the same colour that's fine. (But if she expects that once the room is painted it will be a replica of her old room, that might cause a problem). For example I heard of a teenager with Aspergers who returned to school in September to find it had all been painted a different colour. He could not find his way around the school because the new colour made it 'unrecognisable' to him. So many times a need for rigidity and sameness is down to a sensory perceptual problem.

i come across this post about moving home and thought we experinced that in the past :) its so nice to read everyone experince and thought i would like to add mine, my son is now 14 and taller than me oh boy where the time gone :( anyway when he was 4 we had to move house and to this day he never forgottern it, anyway we manged to get everything done which was not easy at that time, anyway because it was a council house and we had to go back and we could not find anyone at the time to look after him so we had no choice and had to take him back with us and the was the worse thing we ever did, all i saw is he was tottally freeked out by what he saw ie everything out of the house he wet himself with fear he just could not handle it, poor boy i dont know if he ever forget it, and to this day its still having a impact on him when he away from home, anyway i think in the future we might have to move again as i have ostoarthritis and may have to move to a house on one level.

fingers crossed that when and if that happens he may cope with it better as he older now.

I agree with Sally. Due to circumstances and my husbands work we've moved house 5 times since Logan was born (he's 6.5!) and whilst he doesn't always cope with small changes, he's always coped remarkably well with these huge changes. Thankfully however 3 of those moves he could attend the same fantastic school which makes life a lot easier (the other moves were preschool).

We make sure that his room is ready first though and that everything is as similar as it can be so he can at least escape there. We also make sure he knows where to find juice/crisps (his comfort - and sometimes only - foods) quickly and easily.

Good luck - it's traumatic for the best of us let alone our poor kids.

Lynne x

Edited by Lynden