Sign in to follow this  
desperate

exclusion update

Hi All,

I spent a long time on the phone yesterday speaking to Neil's speech therapist from the school he has been excluded from.

She said she will do all she can to fight his corner.

She also said that he has such a severe language deficit and lack of understanding of others intentions that he just does not have the tools or stratigies to deal with any situation that is going wrong. He has no idea how to try to make things right and reverts to the only emotion he understands and the one that he will get a predictable response from.

She said he is unable to form an opinion of his own and will use the last one he heard, he is also very reseptive to suggestion from other students and will act on their "advice". She said unfortunately there are a lot of students happy to give that advice!

She said that he has had such negative experiences at school, bullying, failure etc.etc. that apart from his severe language difficulties, his ASD he also is carryinf around a lot of baggage, and when things go wrong he just gets the bag out.

She said his trust of others is so lacking that he will almost push them until he gets the response he expects, negativitity towards him. He constantly says "you don't like me do you?"

As Neil does not have the independant skills to go out on his own, he won't leave the house without an adult (myself or his dad) I am terrified of the future for him now that the therapy he desperately needs has been withdrawn by this permament exclusion. The future does look very bleak for him. How can we find a way forward from that situation?

Hi,

The speech therapist has given an accurate description of Neil's difficulties, I hope she can turn this situation around.

I would have thought that they were discriminating against Neil. It may be worth having a word with IPSEA.

I can understand your concern for his future. Maybe you should think about a transition plan for when he leaves school. Would it be possible to arrange a multi-disciplinary meeting to discuss the future? It may be a good idea to involve Connexions

Good luck, please keep in touch.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Hi,

my son has AS with severe language disorder. What I would add is that it will be vital to get the SALT to put what she has said in a report for you, describing the impact this has on every day situations. Are there any language provisions where you are? I do believe that language/communication is the key to everthing. The exclusion sounds very shakey, IPSEA's number is 0800 018 4016, www.ipsea.org.uk