Sign in to follow this  
Sa Skimrande

Hello

Greetings, just a short note to introduce myself, I have just recently had it confirmed that I do indeed has an ASD, in the form of Aspergers and more recently via Psychiatry, a bit of Autism, but am not sure yet where that fits in, or quite what the psycho was on about.I had the initial confirmation via an Educational Psychologist who my college sent me to see because I could not understand the course timetables, or exactly what was required of me to pass the exams, the result being I failed what I should not have failed. I suffered massively with mood swings and depression prior to the asessment, something that had dogged me all my life and ruined careers and relationships, but now with the asessment, I understand. The upshot of the Educational Psychologist was I was in the top three percent of national statistics for intelligence and mensa type scoring of top thirty percent, but my thought processing speed was below national averages and I had obvious problems with verbal, non verbal and written instruction. A confusing outcome, such intelligence, yet I have a lifetime of low wage jobs and not getting anywhere in them. I have joined this forum in the hope, that I might come to understand similarities that might exist with others so that I might not feel such an oddball and find coping strategies for when I have to go out in public.

Hi Sa Skimrande welcome to the Forum. :)

I have Ben who is 11.Ben was diagnosed with AS last year.Ben sounds rather like you.He is very bright and knows about things that I have no idea about.He also has a marked difference between his intelligence and ability to process information.I know he finds it very frustrating at times.Karen.