Sign in to follow this  
mariag

First day back at school!

Hi all, my ds2 had a bad morning, this is one of the hardest things for him to do, this was the transition between infants to junior school so unfamiliar ground for him. Since my ds2 started school all returns after holidays have been difficult, last year it took him 5 months to settle, everyday he needed to be physically taken from me. So today we had lots in place for him, his old TA met him and we together got him into school hall, his friend also came to help, along with his new TA! All the while i had to stop him from running away. Once he got in class he sat on his green carpet and i snuck out, after a while his old TA came out and said he was fine, but i feel so bad for him now, this is best for him as he cant stay with his old TA but i am sure he will struggle again during lunch, she will be available if he does. Oh i feel so sad for our children has anyone else had a bad morning? Please share it, you will feel better i do now! Thanks maria x

Hi maria. I have been sitting here waiting for the phone to ring all morning. DS1 went off to his new secondary school on the bus for the first time today, and DS2 has a new classroom and new teachers, so I'm a little bit on edge !!

It sounds like you've done all you can to help you boy settle in, and he seems to have good support at school. I hope he has a good day and you manage to relax a bit >:D<<'>

Now I've got to go to work in the kitchen at DS2's school, so I'll find out how he's getting on. Wish me luck!! :pray:

Hi nicky, i hope your children were ok today, i remember when my ds1 went to high school last year, i was more nervous than him, its a big step! All of a sudden you have this grown up child, who thinks they are older than they really are, my son was fine and i am sure yours will be too. Maria x

From mainstream to Residential school. (which he started in Nov 08)

Well what a year makes, the difference in J in today going to school is astounding, last year it was kicking and screaming, today it was coperation and no stopping him, he helped choose all his clothes and pack his stuff, he has happily got in his taxi and hugged, kissed and waved our goodbyes, it helps so much with the seperation difficulties when it can be done this way, he is a bit haprehensive of going back, but I think underneath he feels safe at school, the routine gives him stability and the staff support one another, I miss him but I know deep down he benefits greatly from this experience and he has an education that meets all his needs.

It just so strange once J has gone to school, its so quiet, so still, I feel a bit lost, but relieved that I get a break and that Ive got throw the summer holidays, because they have been soooo long, we have had a blast this summer holidays, but at the same time exhausting, but not as stressful as last year, we both nearly died with what went on last year, i thank my lucky stars that we are in a much better place now, which is thanks to many here who supported us throw that mindfield of SEN, today is really the beginning for J as he starts school from the very beginning, September and there is no disruptions, he can start a fresh and I have high hopes and inspirations for this year, though its still going to be a challenge, im ready, and its clear to see J is ready too.

Good luck everyone with the first day of school.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Hi All,

I am very happy my ds2 did much better than i expected i am so proud of him, he settled nicely and already has a good relationship with his new TA, this is brilliant as i will feel so much better about leaving him there. I know that he will probably struggle again in the morning but now i know that he can manage during the day i don't need to worry.

Thanks for sharing your encouraging post JSmum, my son may have a better year than last year too, i need to stay positve for his sake.

Thanks Maria :thumbs::robbie:

Hi All,

I am very happy my ds2 did much better than i expected i am so proud of him, he settled nicely and already has a good relationship with his new TA, this is brilliant as i will feel so much better about leaving him there. I know that he will probably struggle again in the morning but now i know that he can manage during the day i don't need to worry.

Thanks for sharing your encouraging post JSmum, my son may have a better year than last year too, i need to stay positve for his sake.

Thanks Maria :thumbs::robbie:

Maria, I'm so glad it all went well :thumbs:

DS1 was fine although the bus didn't turn up, so he had to get a different one. He was very resourceful, though, and still managed to get to school on time :). Unfortunately, he's left his mobile on the bus (we think!!) on the way home, so now he's really upset about that :( Hopefully they have it in lost property :pray:

DS2 had an excellent day - when I went into work he saw me and gave me a huge hug :clap: The teacher said he had a really good morning and when I went to pick him up he seemed really happy :thumbs:

Lets hope it carries on that way :D

Hi Nicky,

Thats great glad all went well. I hope your son gets his phone back, it must have been the nerves of the day that made him loose it. Well done for being so resourceful getting on another bus that brilliant! :thumbs: On my ds1 first day, he got off the bus at the wrong stop, we had practiced the journey a few times but he was overwhelmed i think and was not sure which stop to get off, he was only one stop away from the actual one so it was not too bad and a friend was waiting at the next stop for him who started to worry when was told he got off before, but all was well in the end. :clap:

Maria x