Sign in to follow this  
wallace&gromit

Newbie!

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce us. We have an 8 year old boy recently diagnosed with Aspergers', he also suffers from anxiety and a sleep disorder. We have known for about 4 years that our son is a little 'different' but struggled to get taken seriously by our GP so wasn't given a referral, we then employed an Educational Psychologist privately which got us our referral and our our son was finally diagnosed at the end of July this year. We also have 2 other Neurologically Typical children, a boy aged 6 and a girl aged 4.

Life has changed somewhat this year as we have realised how little support there is for those that need it, and how much you have to fight to get anything, it's certainly an eye opener.

One of our son's main issues is tactile sensitivity and socks and school uniform create a lot of pain for him, we have had extreme outbursts due to texture that he cannot cope with. On the plus side, he is very high functioning, very honest, bright and trying to learn computer programming. He's going to be a geek we expect and we are very proud of him.

We decided to join this forum, both as a way to give and receive support from others in similar situations.

We look forward to getting to know you.

W&G

Hi Wallace and Grommit and Welcome to the Forum. :)

I have Ben who is 11 and was diagnosed with AS last year also after much debate.

Ben is a big IT fan and we also have lots of issues with school uniform and socks.I have spent plenty of time in the last few weeks searching for socks that are great only to have them go out of stock when I went back for more. :D:D

Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Hi welcome I find your intro very interesting and inspiring, the fact you went to a private pysch before proffessionals in your local authority took notice is something I have in common too, my son went throw various private referrals and had assessments to get him access to the right support, so know deep down your frustrations, my son is 12 now and finally progressing, upwards as they say but that is because not only are there provisons in place, I now know how to help and support him that meet his special needs.

You do know that School should be making resonable adjustments for your son as reguarding his school uniform and if it is causing him pain and distress to discuss what solutions there could be, it could be that he wears confortable clothing but maybe similair colours to the school uniform, school uniforms are good in that they help unite a group and give a sence of belonging but they cause pain then its hard to say its benefiting your son.

So please do discuss the clothing and sock issue with school.

Welcome to the forum, your post I identified with and hope you feel more comfort knowing there is others going or gone throw similair issues.

JsMum