Sign in to follow this  
Dillyn

Sent home today!

Today at school, i have been in trouble for not being able to work in a clasroom full of noisy, shouting peers of my age. All the shouting does my head in! :wallbash: So my parents were called and i have been sent home. My parents are not angry, as they understand, but i still think this is unfair treatment by the school? Please correct me if i am wrong!

To know whether it is unfair, we need more info....

has the school made any other provisions for you? like, can you go sit in the library or office or somewhere to chill out for a bit? Did you know it was going to be a particularly noisy lesson today, or was that just the way it went? What age are you and what size is your school. Do you have any help in school at present?

KezT, my school has what is called a padua centre, a centre for people with special needs and learning problems where they can work quietly ect. but they say i dont qualify for access to the centre, i dont see why not! I got a note off my psychiatrist asking nicely if they will allow me to use these facilities, explaining clearly why i would like to use them and they still refused. Its not just one lesson where it gets noisy, it is all of them. Most of the teachers dont seem able to deal with the amount of noise from my classes. I do not currently have much more help than the average student in a public high school, just that teachers try and spend a little more attention to me! This is not the first time i have been unable to study due to being interrupted by others and it is an increasing worry as i have just started GCSES.

hmm, sounds like your school is not making "reasonable adjustment" for your needs, which is unfair (and illegal). Do you have a diagnosis (not toally necessary, but it helps)? An IEP/Statement? Have you/your parents/relevant professionals had any meetings with your school? You need to explain what is needed first, then start fighting to egt it if its not forthcoming :rolleyes:

it does sound like they're not being very fair. What is your diagnosis as it seems the school needs to understand your needs a bit more?

I really feel for you and hope things will start to improve, Can you ask your parents to try and talk to the school and explain how hard things are for you. I dont no if this will help you but my son who is year 10 has just moved to a school with 6-8 children per lesson, his grades at the end of year 9 were at a level 3a now just a couple of weeks into term he is a level 5. It was down to the decrease in noise level, he can now concentrate and compleat work. I hope things improve for you,even i had no idea how noise can effect ability to learn to that extent but it does. It is very unfair of the school not to listen to you and make reasonable adjustments to help you.