Sign in to follow this  
KezT

Limb paralysis

My second cousin is about 3 1/2, and his grandmother (my aunt) has been concerned about possible ASD for a while. Recently he has started "cutting off" onE of his arms - he lets it hang completely uselessly right from the shoulder, and will not use it at all. there are no physical problemS, many tests have shown this. the arm continues to hang even when the boy is running/playing quite happily. this usually lasts a couple of days at a time. I reckon it could be a sensory thing?

has anyone else heard of anything similar - his mother does not consider there is anything wrong with him, and his grandmother would like to find some literature so show her if remotely possible.

Edited by KezT

Due to the age and the symptoms I would insist on further assessments and tests, especially a MRI, many ECG tests can come out normal yet there is Epilepsy or other illnesses, it could be that when he cuts off, there is some form of paralasis but I would insist on further tests.

JsMumxxxx

Due to the age and the symptoms I would insist on further assessments and tests, especially a MRI, many ECG tests can come out normal yet there is Epilepsy or other illnesses, it could be that when he cuts off, there is some form of paralasis but I would insist on further tests.

JsMumxxxx

I would insists on further assessments and tests to. As much as I believe that sensory issues play a huge part in autism I fail to see how this could be a sensory issue.

Cat

Hello, i'm not sure it's the same thibg but my daughter's arm use to come out of the socket (at the shoulder) a lot when she was younger-she wasn't in any pain but wouldn't move it and then if I lifted it or moved it it would go back-she hasn't been diagnosed with autism like her brother but does have traits. XXX

He has had a MRI scan, as well as numerous x-rays etc to check for dislocations. There does not seem to be any physical problem, it is definitely psychological/neurological - his mother says "he will grow out if it" and won't take him to pysch's tho.....

It could be a sensory integration issue - particularly if there is a dorsal stream problem

But physical problems must be ruled out

Hi.I think it is worth asking for investigations to rule out other neorological problems.For example epilepsy occurs fairly often with ASD.A localised seizure might cause a temporary loss of function in one limb.This might not be picked up unless a doctor observed what happened at the time or picked it up on EEG

I used to work as a nurse.If either of my lads were experiencing temporary paralysis I would be pushing for investigations and a referal for thorough assessment.There may be no medical problem at all.However I would certainly want to be certain. :)

Karen.