sarahob19

hello :D

Hi my name is Sarah and just joined this site. im 19 and for a number of years now have noticed im not like all my friends. my mam has always said to me that members of staff at my secondary school thought i had aspergers syndrome and we never looked in to it. The other night we watched the autistic me on BBC 1 and discovered that 2 of the adults on there had the exact behaviour as me. My mum has finally decided to get me tested but im worried that people are going to treat me completely different when looking for jobs. any advice?

employers CANNOT discrimate against disability of any kind so you protected against legal law forced by governement to back you up if you SHOULD NEED IT! feeling not like you friends alot of AS sufferers feel this is right explanation and description for them like they don't exactly fit in anywhere or belong and nothing makes sense everything difficult if you that anxious and worried about employment i would ring up career service like connexions and book an appointment to discuss fears maybe go with your mum if don't want to go on your own this may help get some unaswered questions finally answered

did your teachers at your secondary school tell you or your mum why they thought you had AS because signs and behaviour displayed?

who on there did you think was exactly like you??? and how did you think they were?

maybe watching 'the autistic me' did you and your mum a justice of uncovering the real hidden truth behind in the background lurking which maybe is AS!

good luck with everything

long process and fight but well worth it once you know what it is etc i'd read books on young sufferers with it -luke jackson feeks,greeks and Aspergers syndrome there's loads of books out there and some for parents which may help your mum out too

has your mum started the official diagnosis process yet??? GP referral etc

take care

XKLX

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...ghts/DG_4001073

no she hasnt started yet. shes going to speak to a nurse on tuesday at the doctors surgery then were going to book an appointment to see my GP. thank you for the info. at school i think it was my home/school liason officer and the SEN department which thought i had aspergers cos when i was in year 7 i was ill with jaunders and missed most of school so when i was at school i had problems joining into groups of friends without help from her and also when other students said things about me i took them really seriously and accuse them of bullying even though they sed they werent.

taking things seriously literal a common AS trait/sign did SEN not chase up fears worries concerns over what they thought you might have there???? many don't though i had that! the sooner done better chance you will have of understanding things behind background like a broken jigsaw puzzle needing to put some pieces back together with help of GP referal etc i never like joining in with groups another AS thing there social anxiety that known as which can be part of having AS! who accussed who of bullying???

i accused these lasses of bullying cos to me it seemed as if they were taking the mick out of me. nor dont think so. i got bits of help but that was only because i got tested for dyspraxia

i accused these lasses of bullying cos to me it seemed as if they were taking the mick out of me. nor dont think so. i got bits of help but that was only because i got tested for dyspraxia

Hi

There is the nas National Autistic society and I currently used Autistic Village a friendly supportive chat foruma nd anoth Aspie Village has closed but will be opening again in next month or so.

nor its ok ive finally got over what happened it took a while but im good. thanks anyways

a member of the SEN department and i went to see a doctor as well to test me but i didnt quite get them cos they were talking about stuff i didnt get at 13 year old it confused me but i ended up getting support for it and a laptop in exams due to my writing. the only thing that helped with motor skills and balance was that i played football for the school which helped me a little

a member of the SEN department and i went to see a doctor as well to test me but i didnt quite get them cos they were talking about stuff i didnt get at 13 year old it confused me but i ended up getting support for it and a laptop in exams due to my writing. the only thing that helped with motor skills and balance was that i played football for the school which helped me a little

Hi, it might be a good idea to look into co morbids when you go for your assessment in AS the commone combination is AS/Dyspraxia/Dyslexia/ADHD......

My son has High Functioning Autism with comorbids.

JsMumxxxx

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I remember when I first heard about Asperger's and came to realise that I probably had it. It was a confusing time! I hope the GP is helpful and you can eventually get some answers.

With jobs, you don't necessarily need to tell employers about it. You do need to tell an employer if you have a disability which may affect your ability to do the job, and they are required to make any reasonable adjustments if they decide to take you on. They are not allowed to discriminate against you, but in reality, it does happen. If you don't think you need any adjustments, you don't need to tell your employer, but this would mean you are not able to ask for adjustments if you realise at a later stage that you need something. However, since you don't yet have a diagnosis, you don't have anything to tell an employer. You could get a job now and ask for adjustments if the diagnostic process reveals any specific difficulties and adjustments that could help in the workplace.

It is against the law not to inform your employer once you have been diagnosed with AS...because technically your classed as someone who is Disabled in the eyes of the law.

Should something happen to you at work an Insurance company would REFUSE to pay out regardless of who was in the wrong if you had not declared your Disability....

As for jobs....I wish you the best of luck even those discrimination is ILLEGAL it is quite rife and not many employers want to bother with people with AS....

To be honest it does not seem as though you have been Diagnosed for Dyspraxia either....so if I was you I would go and make an appointment with a GP and his or her refferal will take MONTHS....best of luck in that department....!

I had to wait over 18 months!!!!

Mark

It is against the law not to inform your employer once you have been diagnosed with AS...because technically your classed as someone who is Disabled in the eyes of the law.

Sorry Mark, this isn't correct. There is no obligation to disclose any disability to an employer.

Useful information on disability and employment below:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople...Work/DG_4000219

K x

Really?

Can you imagine a scenario where your involved in a work place accident and you have FAILED to disclose your disagnosis? and so your now injured and unable to work but because you did not DISCLOSE it to your employer and their Insurance refuses to pay out?

Same if you were attending a college....

Mark

I'm not saying it's a good idea not to disclose it, Mark, just pointing out that there is no compulsion. That's what the law says.

I don't know enough about workplace insurance, but I wouldn't have thought non disclosure of AS would make any difference.

The main problem with not disclosing a dx, is that the employer cannot usually be held responsible for not providing "reasonable adjustments" in the workplace.

K x