Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Keeping him off school.

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to know what the rules are regarding keeping a child off school?I have seen some parents on here who have kept their kids home/removed from school,while they decide what to next either new school or home school.For me I dont think home school is an option but I may have to move next summer because the place where I will be going to Uni is 15 min drive away,and trying to figure out childcare is becoming difficult(the Uni is where my brother,father and the kids father live-therefor I will have more support)My eldest will be moving to middle school in Sept and Sam to yr 3,the area I wish '#]to move has middle school from yr3-yr5 so they will both be at the same school ,in fact my eldest went to the adjoined lower school for pre-school so may remember some kids from before.Sorry I am going on,basically Sam is so unhappy now so I am hoping to keep him home then he will have a freash start next Sept???

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to know what the rules are regarding keeping a child off school?I have seen some parents on here who have kept their kids home/removed from school,while they decide what to next either new school or home school.For me I dont think home school is an option but I may have to move next summer because the place where I will be going to Uni is 15 min drive away,and trying to figure out childcare is becoming difficult(the Uni is where my brother,father and the kids father live-therefor I will have more support)My eldest will be moving to middle school in Sept and Sam to yr 3,the area I wish '#]to move has middle school from yr3-yr5 so they will both be at the same school ,in fact my eldest went to the adjoined lower school for pre-school so may remember some kids from before.Sorry I am going on,basically Sam is so unhappy now so I am hoping to keep him home then he will have a freash start next Sept???

You absolutely can not just keep your school at home between now and next September. If you wish to do this you will either have to deregister your son and then reregister him at a new school next September or you will have to have your son signed of school by a doctor to say that he is not able to attend school at the moment because of stress, anxiety or whatever. I doubt however that the school would accept a doctor’s note for this amount of time. Also if you deregister you will have to officially educate your son at home. That is not as difficult as you might imagine many of us home educate our autistic children and find it a very enjoyable and productive way to educate our children.

Cat

Thank you for that,I know I will have to educate him at home for now because I began to go through this process early in the year in fact this was for both my son's,they were both being bullied and racially abused constantly so I removed them for three weeks in the end I decided it was best to re locate cause the village was just not my cup of tea!My eldest son is happy at the school they attend,I have two younger kids at home and I am studying so would I seriousley manage to educate him even if it is temporary???Also the education authority said someone would come and see what I will teach and do with him before it is approved so worry that if by chance it is not approved he would have to return to school dont know how he will cope with that,not really sure what to do,there are no special schools nearby but the area I want to move to does have that option but still he may think me teaching him is long term so therefore may be even more upset in a year time when he has to return to school.I would love to teach him until high school or even beyond that but I am a single mum and want to develop my skills so I can work and provide for my four kids,hence the reason why I am studying.I just feel at a loss he is always crying after school and everyday begs me not to take him,he keeps saying nobody listens and teachers just tell him to be quiet when he has a problem I have tried talking to them without success.

Thank you for that,I know I will have to educate him at home for now because I began to go through this process early in the year in fact this was for both my son's,they were both being bullied and racially abused constantly so I removed them for three weeks in the end I decided it was best to re locate cause the village was just not my cup of tea!My eldest son is happy at the school they attend,I have two younger kids at home and I am studying so would I seriousley manage to educate him even if it is temporary???Also the education authority said someone would come and see what I will teach and do with him before it is approved so worry that if by chance it is not approved he would have to return to school dont know how he will cope with that,not really sure what to do,there are no special schools nearby but the area I want to move to does have that option but still he may think me teaching him is long term so therefore may be even more upset in a year time when he has to return to school.I would love to teach him until high school or even beyond that but I am a single mum and want to develop my skills so I can work and provide for my four kids,hence the reason why I am studying.I just feel at a loss he is always crying after school and everyday begs me not to take him,he keeps saying nobody listens and teachers just tell him to be quiet when he has a problem I have tried talking to them without success.

Wondering what you decided about the children Education. I had a similar problem when Nigel was in year 2 of primary school, he was isolated and there were other issues. I took him out while i was considering homeschooling. This was extremely difficult as Jack was only 2. Hope everything worked out ok in the end.

Wondering what you decided about the children Education. I had a similar problem when Nigel was in year 2 of primary school, he was isolated and there were other issues. I took him out while i was considering homeschooling. This was extremely difficult as Jack was only 2. Hope everything worked out ok in the end.

Well he is at school at the moment,funny he is also year2,I am waiting to speak to his teacher today as she was off sick last week,and then I have next week (half term) to think about what to do.What did you decide in the end?I am just scared I have put going to Uni off for three years and now I have a place I dont want to push it back/defer a place,at the same time I hate the fact that my son is so unhappy.When I told another mum about his AS because she kept complaining all the time,she said "so he is not coming to school anymore?"as if he no longer has a right to the education her son recieves,he is seen as a bully yet he has named three others that bully him.so confused!Hopefully by next week I will know what to do!

.What did you decide in the end?I am just scared I have put going to Uni off for three years and now I have a place I dont want to push it back/defer a place,at the same time I hate the fact that my son is so unhappy.When I told another mum about his AS because she kept complaining all the time,she said "so he is not coming to school anymore?"as if he no longer has a right to the education her son recieves,he is seen as a bully yet he has named three others that bully him.so confused!Hopefully by next week I will know what to do!

Hi, just from reading your post, I cant help thinking how similar to me your case is. My little boy was seen as the bad boy, because of his aggressive tendencies, he did not get invited to any birthday party and the hate from the parents was so intense.I did not want him be at school, he was unhappy and I was so sad by the whole thing. In the end after keeping him off for about a fortnight we sent him back, i was so uptight about the whole situation, its only now that i feel a bit better as we have things in place for him and the school is a bit supportive. I know what you mean by other mums, people are just so mean and horrible, and i guess it shows you. I have lost lots of people that i thought were my friends over my son, its really bad. I hope you will have time to think things thru and decide. About university , yes its a good thing to challenge yourself and focus your energies else where but make sure you fight and shout for you child to get help. Did you know you can self refer to an Education psychologist if you want?