Cat

We have an Autism Act!!!!

Today we have made legal history! The Autism Bill has made it through its last parliamentary stage, and will now become the Autism Act 2009: the first-ever disability-specific law for England.

The Act will guarantee a future Adult Autism Strategy that will introduce a range of legal duties to improve local services. We will of course continue to campaign until the strategy makes a real difference to people affected by autism.

You, our members and campaigners, and the wider coalition of autism organisations across the UK, have all been vital to achieving this landmark victory. Thank you!

For further details please visit www.autism.org/autismact2009.

Cat

Edited by Cat

This is very good news and it's the first ever Act like it! The good thing also is that who ever comes into parliment the Act will be there to support our children when they become independent adults and adults who need the support now. The only problem may be is how long it will take to begin to work and support those that need it ASAP!!!

This is very good news and it's the first ever Act like it! The good thing also is that who ever comes into parliment the Act will be there to support our children when they become independent adults and adults who need the support now. The only problem may be is how long it will take to begin to work and support those that need it ASAP!!!

I think the good news is that now we have a framework complete with screws. When you have screws you can always tighten them :devil:

This is worth watching

Cat

Great news/starting point :thumbs::thumbs:

I watched the video... o thought that song was by 'The R's'......

(I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone that i don't know my R's from my elbow ;) )

Great news/starting point :thumbs::thumbs:

I watched the video... o thought that song was by 'The R's'......

(I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone that i don't know my R's from my elbow ;) )

Where is the 'groan' avitar? :rolleyes:

Cat

:rolleyes: is the closest we have to a groan I think. :lol:

Good news, and well done to everyone who's campaigned long and hard for this. :notworthy::notworthy:

K x

wow well I think its amazing, really gives parents of children with Autism a much more positive future, Im excited and I think it will make a difference.

JsMumxxxx

well done all those that campiagned.

XXXXXX :thumbs:>:D<<'>

Well done NAS and all that campaigned for this to happen.

Alexis (who thinks her hard work is finally being paid off)

Today we have made legal history! The Autism Bill has made it through its last parliamentary stage, and will now become the Autism Act 2009: the first-ever disability-specific law for England.

The Act will guarantee a future Adult Autism Strategy that will introduce a range of legal duties to improve local services. We will of course continue to campaign until the strategy makes a real difference to people affected by autism.

You, our members and campaigners, and the wider coalition of autism organisations across the UK, have all been vital to achieving this landmark victory. Thank you!

For further details please visit www.autism.org/autismact2009.

Cat

I try to be positive personally, but am reminded the DDA came into force in 1995 and still doesn't work, we can but hope. This is the paperwork set out, let's us hope we don't wait another 20 years before support actually comes along, my area they are at 'talks' stage, nothing more.... consultations whatever, but NO visible adult support options as yet, and of course only ONE special school in all of south wales to hold 100 children, leaving a few thousand others with nothing. It was even said 34% of adult autistics had not even claimed their legal allowances entitlements, and another 2 thirds had no job, 40% will never leave home, I feel totally justifed to be scared witless about my son's prospects... I Just hope my health holds out. Good work by the campiagns though, a start.