baddad

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

So what are peeps doing on saturday night?

Not being American we don't do trick/treats, but we do still like to have some halloween fun. This year, like last, Ben's BF is sleeping over, so we're having some spooky grub, then some spooky movies (with lemmingade and plopcorn)...

This year's menu is frogburgers (stand the 'warty' (sesame seed) buns on cartoon frogslegs we printed off, add gherkin tops for eyes on the top, a nice bit o' ham for a lolling tongue...) shrunken heads (jacket spuds with faces cut in) and windy peas (baked beans) followed by fecal tart and pustard...

Here's the menu if anyone fancies the same thing:

menu front

menu in

(Oh, btw, the fecal treacle tart recipe can be found on the genius bread website - 'tis very nice! and GF/DF etc :) )

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

My son was nine yesterday (27th) my sister in law's birthday is today (28th) and my brother's birthday is 8 Nov,so we usually have a huge party on 31st or Saturday after if its a week day.My brothers friends come from London and my son invites his friends its always great fun and saves a bundle on doing separate partys,plus its not difficult to find decorations!This year though my brother is in Mexico and my son has bad asthma so we will be in.I do always make sure I got sweets for the trick or treaters.I dont take mine trick or treating because I dont really think its good to knock on peoples doors "begging" for sweets!They get sweets from relatives though with my permission.I do get them dressed up its fun and we have our own little disco.

we're taking K trick or treating to my sisters. she lives with my cousin and aunt and Ks so little we're gonna let her trick or treat each person once she's in the house so she feels shes done it lots, rather than go to different family friends as we do with the older ones. we've invited the kids of our friends to trick our treat at ours, so they know they're knocking on a safe door. apart from that, i'll be eating leftover sweets and doing prep work for sunday school *yawn*

I don't celebrate Halloween, I struggle to understand what it is all about, over than an excuse to party.

I know that various groups claim it as their own.

The modern thing of trick or treat is a US import that they can have back.

Nope, me neither; being an atheist by conviction and thus unamenable to superstition of any kind. Sure, some religions and sects observe it and it's fun for some kids, but jollity and japes has never been my cup of tea. And yeah, the yanks can have trick or treat back! Haven't seen any yet this evening - though anybody trying helloween on a house with three black cats in residence better have some good magic on their side :P

well, thats halloween done for us, apart from eating large amounts of pumpkin soup and pie. tomorrow is an all saints celebration up the church with fireworks and a bonfire (and a pink glow stick for K to keep her away from the sparklers!)

round here there seems to have been the rule adopted 'if they have a pumpkin outside, you can trick or treat' which means that the elderly (or grumpy) dont get bothered and the kids still have places to go.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! that was fun! I swear I was the oldest person on rollerskates, but definitely not the worst. Eldest DS stayed at home with Grandma to give out treats - they were all students from the uni down the road apparently. If I get organised I'll put up pumpkin photos tomorrow - Dr Oetker came up trumps.

I spent the evening hiding with the lights off, but the moment I went in the kitchen some people knocked on the window and started throwing stones at my door. I had one of those "no trick or treaters" signs on the door, alerting everyone to the fact that I feel vulnerable, and they do that. That's low.

Would have preferred it if they had stayed in with frogburgers.

Any pumpkin photos?

Awwww Tally. I think you're better off without the sign.

lol @ pumpkin photos. Too tired to do them tonight, but i have to say they were our best ever!

:thumbs::thumbs:

we went a bit more 'trad' this year (I think Ben remembered how long Frankenstein and the skull took last time! :lol: )

before lighting

shiny shiny

I posted the before because you can't see the handle in the lit version ;)

Frogburgers etc went down a (trick or) treat... Sleepover went better than last time, but I and Ben both still exhausted... :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your halloween stories,I loved reading them,and I love the photo pics baddad and call me jaded,you must have patience I just buy the plastic pumpkins.Tally oh,I am so very sorry for your experience,do you have a neighbourhood watch/meetings?It is a good idea to get other peoples views if you can then prehaps discuss a plan for next year,you dont have to do that now because you still new to your home so when you get used to neighbours etc. I had that experience before with the egg pelting thing,after I had my second baby I was ill so it was hard to keep getting up so I didnt bother with halloween also had a sign up didnt stop them throwing eggs everywhere,so nasty!This year we had loads of little ones must who we know,it was very pleasant,and ended at 7.30pm which was good,so my lot could unwind before bed.

Impressive menu BD! :thumbs:

We don't really do Halloween - it's not a tradition I grew up with: very little attention was paid to it in the southern hemisphere, I suppose warm light summer evenings aren't really very Halloween - ish. I also don't like random people knocking on the door.

Last night my son went to a friend's house to watch a film and eat treats. I made cupcakes with green icing and black plastic spiders on. What do you think? :)

spidercakes

spidercake close up

K x

Edited by Kathryn

followed by fecal tart and pustard...

Hmmmm !!! Fecal tart. Reminds me of my nursing days. I ain't kidding, when I say that that there were various descriptive names for stools :

Typhoid patients pass pea soup stools

Cholera - rice water stools

intussusception - redcurrant jelly stools

and those who have stomach ulcers produce Coffee grounds vomit !

You would have thought that someone somewhere could have found names that weren't associated with food.

Last night my son went to a friend's house to watch a film and eat treats. I made cupcakes with green icing and black plastic spiders on. What do you think? :)

spidercakes

spidercake close up

K x

Awwww swizz! I thought you'd made the spiders by unrolling liquorice allsorts and hand carving them with a miniature fretsaw... Plastic... PLASTIC??? :shame:

seriously, they look lovely :thumbs::thumbs:

Awwww swizz! I thought you'd made the spiders by unrolling liquorice allsorts and hand carving them with a miniature fretsaw... Plastic... PLASTIC??? :shame:

Well what more do you expect from someone who uses frozen mashed spuds? Queen of the culinary shortcuts, that's me. :P:whistle:

Actually my original plan was to pipe the spiders on in black icing - but couldn't get any writing icing late yesterday afternoon. :crying:

Jaded, lets say we're all very talented and creative and leave it at that. :lol:

K x