Sign in to follow this  
minerva

Young NT siblings....

I was wondering what things if any your NT children have said about your ASD child?

Just a second ago my 8 year old called Cameron "an angry brute" apparently its something off of Halo & he thought it described him really well at times :whistle:

I googled it and theres a picture here

He said "well he does get really angry though doesnt he Mum!!"

:unsure:

I was wondering if any of your children have said funny/bizarre/interesting things in relation to making sense of things?

my NT son doesnt say anything really but he knows exactly what winds my AS son up,especially talking over him when he is trying to tell me something important because it does take Sam awhile to get everything out.When Josh (NT) is out at the park with Sam and others say "your brother is weird" he doesnt stick up/defend Sam he will say "I know that" but at home Josh will say those kids are mean to Sam and that SAm cant help it.they also argue alot but I think they are like most siblings and aside from the AS they are extremely different/opposite.

When my 7yr old is particularly cross & frustrated with her,he has been known to call her a 'numb skull'. Like Justine1's youngest, he knows exactly which buttons to press to annoy her. I know he finds her inapropriate behaviour embarrasing when we/they are out in public.He has told me this.There is 2 years difference in their ages & he can be quite mature where as she can be very immature.In general I think it is quite hard for him at home & at school. He recently asked if there were such things as 'syndrome schools' because if there were,then why couldnt she go to one!!

Hello

I've been on the receiving end of this, I've had to explain my mums behaviour to my autistic friends and my behaviour to those that just don't get it.

There are some books on the subject, "my brother is different", "why does Chris do that?" also 2 books aimed at younger and older siblings of autistics. i think the NAS does sibling support groups in some areas.

Alexis