dana

My son got dx of ASD today

Hi,

this afternoon we went to see a paediatrician. She read the reports from EP, the private SALT, the school report and my views.

She said that usually the children are reffered to CAMHS and then they are given dx but in my son's case it was not necessary because what she has learned from all these reports it is obvious to her that he is on ASD. She will reffer him to a physiotherapist and also she will support the statement and try to get him outreach teacher since he will need a long time support. This appointment was a part of the Statuory Assessment.

Has anyone got a physiotherapist to help children on ASD with a gross motor skills? How could they help them? I expected that she would reffer him to OT but she said that they help mostly with fine motor skills (which my son doesn't have problems) and takes a year to get the appointment with OT.

Anyway, although she has't put it on paper yet, I feel relieved that this is done now. I was afraid of incompetent doctors and that they will blame me and my husband for his problems. I am glad it is over for now. My son will have another appointment in May with her.

Danaxxx

Pleased you got some answers today, it will still be a very emotional journey, post diagnosis can be just a difficult to cope with as much as pre dx, so try and take extra care of yourself this week, J has private physiotherpay to help with tension as he suffers high anxiety so he has remedial massage, its helped loads, after a massage he has no choice but to rest.

It is good that your son is having access to physiotherapy and OT they will do a full assessment and treatment programme.

It is great that you are getting reports to add for a statement too, that helps loads to get other proffessionals on board.

Anyway take very good care of yourself.

JsMUMXXX

Dana, it's good news that you have a clear decision and promise of support, it will help towards the assessment and ultimately (hopefully) towards an effective statement for your son at the end of it.

As JsMum said, it's still an emotional journey and even though it's a relief to get the dx at last, I expect you'll feel a bit strange about it for a while.

>:D<<'>

take care

K x

Welcome to the board

Im pleased you found some answers for your son. Despite having severe motor clumsiness (i think im dyspraxic as well as aspie) ive never been offered help/support for this.

Some things that have helped with my co ordination

1, fish oils EyeQ is best and ive heard parents mention its the least reactive in their kids

2, trampolining (if hes not too big you didn't mention his age) then a small exercise one

3, avoiding gluten (this depends on the person but for me when i have gluten in my diet im more poorly co ordinated

ive heard that "brain gym" is good and also books about sensory problems. He has what's known as proprioceptive problems, he cant tell where his body is in space compared to other things.

Alexis