Boy

Social Worker

My area is pretty bad as far as services for autistic adults goes, and thus far it's been a real struggle getting any help. Fortunately, my OH managed to sort some things out for me, and phones around, but we're often fobbed off and passed from department to department.

My mother was told a while ago that I should have a Social Worker, but was passed onto another department without anyone actually explaining how to go about this.

Recently, my OH phoned the adult intake and access team whilst trying to get some help with something else. They are assigning me a Social Worker. I have to do a brief assessment sort of thing over the phone on Wednesday (OH will mediate) and then that info will be passed on and I should be assigned someone.

I'm just wondering what to expect from this. Does anyone have a social worker? Do you find them helpful? How do they contact you (would they contact me directly by email, as I struggle to use phones)? What kinds of things do they help with?

My area is pretty bad as far as services for autistic adults goes, and thus far it's been a real struggle getting any help. Fortunately, my OH managed to sort some things out for me, and phones around, but we're often fobbed off and passed from department to department.

My mother was told a while ago that I should have a Social Worker, but was passed onto another department without anyone actually explaining how to go about this.

Recently, my OH phoned the adult intake and access team whilst trying to get some help with something else. They are assigning me a Social Worker. I have to do a brief assessment sort of thing over the phone on Wednesday (OH will mediate) and then that info will be passed on and I should be assigned someone.

I'm just wondering what to expect from this. Does anyone have a social worker? Do you find them helpful? How do they contact you (would they contact me directly by email, as I struggle to use phones)? What kinds of things do they help with?

i have a social worker, she does what she can but feels she is unable to do anymore due to her superior not permitting. i get 10 hours home support 5 days a week excluding bank holidays and weekends. i can also live in my own flat due to this home support existing. This is a long term solution and helps me be more independent and less dependant on family and friends for help.

They will ask you questions about the sort of help you need in your day to day living. If you can mention you are autistic and that causes problems with using the phones, non literal language, sensory problems (eg if your hearing is painful, or you get distracted by flickering lights), coping with stress, dealing with unfamiliar and new situations and people. Ask them to ask you specific questions as that helps you to give the best answers.

Mention practical, emotional and other help if you can. So saying to them "i need help cooking meals as i get easily distracted and cannot understand recipes" (if true) is likely to get you some home support. Also mention any mental health problems you have as well as your autism. For me that's anxiety, depression, ptsd and severe sleep problems. Another problem could be "having someone with me to attend medical appointments and to go shopping so they can interpret what im feeling and saying to other people and vice versa".

The social worker will then decide if they can support you (which you can challenge if you disagree with the decision) and write a care plan based on what your needs are. Then a care provider (headed by your care manager) once the care plan is complete will meet with you to discuss further how they can help to support you in your home. Mine helped me move out of home and find a new home (before it went bust then i got my new and current care provider). For the 1st few weeks i had the same support person (the care manager) then later on new support people were introduced gradually. i now am aware of about 7 people that i feel i can work with.

If i need to see my social worker i ask my care manager (he decides who i see and when then discusses this with me, i have a regular routine of who (support workers) sees me when which works well) who discusses with my social worker whether a review is due. i don't like the current set up but until i have the full autism bill to fall back on im not likely to challenge it. Social worker comes to see me then goes away and a "care plan review" is sent in the post. It rarely contains the data i feel i need to understand the care plan, but the care manager negotiates with me what help i feel i need.

Today my brain wasn't working very well and we just about managed shopping and cooking. Then i got a lift to the railway station so i could get the train to an adult social group. The adult social group didn't go too well but it could have been worse without my home support to help me deal with it in the morning.

Alexis