Tally

Chaos in the Supermarket

My shopping trip went well until I got to the till. The couple in front of me were just leaving when the woman collapsed. The checkout staff were as helpful as they could be, but it took ages before a first aider arrived, and then she had to go off and get a wheelchair for the woman to sit in. Then everything seemed to be under control and the checkout lady came back and started scanning my shopping.

But then the ill woman's husband came back and told the checkout lady he didn't feel well now. His face was really grey and then he collapsed as well! I managed to catch him, but I couldn't actually hold his weight. At least he hit the floor slowly and didn't bang his head. The checkout staff were calling and calling for another first aider, but no one came. The man was collapsed between two tills, and all they could see was the woman and a first aider already there. The checkout staff were calling for the manager to come down, but he never appeared either.

Anyway, the first aider and other staff were helping the man who was lying on the floor, and I could see the poor woman sitting by herself looking a bit worried, so I went and stood with her. At first she was embarrassed and said she couldn't come shopping here any more. I didn't really know what to say, but then I realised she couldn't see her husband's face from where she was, so I managed to reassure her a bit by telling her that he was awake and talking, and was starting to get some colour back in his face. She seemed a bit happier then. Then she started joking, saying to him that he was just jealous that she was getting all the attention and he wanted all these women to cuddle him. He started laughing and eventually a security guard came and they were able to help him up and onto a chair.

When the checkout lady came back, she was thanking me for helping and apologising for the delay, but she was shaking and almost in tears. I felt really bad because I didn't know what to say and she was obviously upset. It must have been really scary with two people collapsing like that and she had no training and no back up to help her deal with it all. I just said, "you did all the right things." I could see the next customer was a member of staff, so at least she would go easy on her colleague!

The staff did everything they could, but the system for actually getting a trained person to help was really slow and awful. I hope I never collapse in there!

:thumbs: Tally what a day for you too, but you did wonderfully well, you have really made me smile too, maybe you could look into a red cross first aid course, but your a natural already, silly supermarket for not having the right medical system, the man could of died of a heart attack or something I think they would fail a health and safety assessment, poor check out lady too, if the supermarket cant look after its staff then some might just leave, it wasnt morrisons was it? there terrible for looking after there own staff

JsMumxxx

I think most supermarkets are pretty poor about looking after their staff, I worked for three, one of which was Mor(ris)ons, and they all were pretty rubbish. But this was somewhere else.

I can't fault the staff at all, they handled it really well. The checkout lady was worried the man was having a heart attack, but he only fainted because he was so worried about his wife. Apparently he does it all the time. I'm kind of proud of myself because they were trying to get him a chair, but I could see he was actually going to faint and said we needed to get him onto the floor . . . unfortuntately by that point he was already making his own way!

I've never thought about doing a first aid course because I'm terrible with blood. I've always felt it was something I should steer clear of because I would just make things worse by fainting. But actually, most emergencies do not involve bleeding. I do sometimes feel vulnerable, especially when I am left alone at work, because I worry how I might cope with an emergency. It might be a good way to make me feel more confident and also to meet some local people. And it's one extra thing to add to my CV. That's a really good suggestion. I am going to look into it.

Thats great Tally that your going to look into a first aid course, J has requested to Join the Junior St Johns Ambalance as we thought it would bring out his caring side, and he is looking after someone, when he was in primary school and the days he managed to go, he use to help out with the little ones and with supervision was a great mentor, if they hurt themselves he would ensure they where oright, J doesnt feel pain the same as his peers but blood that is it, he is off screaming as if his heads been cut off, breaking bones dont bother him, but his own blood he is upset, but not seeing others, I think St Johns Ambalance will help him look into feelings and a social event too.

I did the red cross a few years ago, and a peadatrics First aid course but there out of date so maybe I will look into it too after the new year to renew them.

You need to update the first aid course every year, some are three years, as things change, such as in the past they use to say dont let a child sleep if they bang their head, now they say let them sleep so it is confusing sometimes.

Like you say it will be a great assat to your CV but it is also knowledge that actually you might help save someones life.

A short tip, when you have to do compressions you do it to Nelly the Ellephant! as it gives the correct number of compressions in CPR.

Let me know how it goes.

JsMumxxx

Edited by JsMum

Tally you are so very brave >:D<<'> I dont think I would have helped in that way,that doesnt sound good as I am going to do nursing training next year!The thing is I ALWAYS get so hot and bothered when I shop(hence I do everything online)so I went to be in and out quickly,I have even left the shop if the queue is to long,even if its a necessity like bread and milk!So I dont think I would have stuck around,WELL DONE!I had a bad experience in the suprmarket mentioned above (M'sons)I went to buy wine for my hubby,I dont drink and it was my first time purchasing alcohol,at the age of 24,as I was paying the bag gave way and the wine bottle broke some of the glass cut my foot,the cashier just looked at me and then told another worker to get someone to clean up,I wasnt asked if I was alright or if they could replace the product,I wasnt even given a tissue to wipe the wine off my legs and feet(I was wearing sandals)it was awful.My husband went to complain the next day but thy said I should come in but I was so unhappy I just left it.I also had worked for the same store two yrs before this incident,shocking!

Well done Tally! It does sound as though the staff could have been better trained to handle this kind of incident. It could have been more serious and sometimes every second counts.

I was in a clothes shop just browsing when a woman just keeled over backwards and hit the floor right in front of me. She was actually unconscious for a few minutes - it was quite scary as her head really went down hard. Then she came round and was talking and even joking about it. Thanks to the shop manager the paramedics were on the scene fairly quickly.

K x

I'm an 'appointed person' for emergency first aid at work :o:ph34r:

Tally, I've not long done the training course...no blood involved :lol: And it does make you feel more confident that you would know what to do in an emergency situation.

Bid :)