Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Advice needed about a job interview question

I have been asking around for advice on this job interview question.

The interviewer asks you if you have applied for any jobs elsewhere, or have recently attended or have forthcoming interviews elsewhere.

1. Is this a sarcastic way of saying that you have probably not got the job?

2. How should this question be answered properly?

3. Is it even appropriate that an interviewer should ask this question or is it a trap question?

Hi this is a ommon question that employers ask.The reason I think they ask it is because if you have been offered a job else where and they also want you then they may then go on to make you a better offer or arrange hours to suit you etc. This is of ourse my opinion.I was asked this at a uni interview recently and I was told that it does look good to say you only applying to them because that is where you want to study (work in your case) and you can go on to mention why,like it is convinient location,the company has a good reputation,the job is what you would love to do and you can see yourself making progress there.These are all my thoughts,hope it goes well.

I agree with what Justine has said. I don't think there is anything underhand about this question. They want an idea of your dedication to this particular job. They want to make sure you don't take the job and then leave in a few months' time because something better has come along. Training costs money, so an employer has a right to choose staff who are likely to stick with the job.

Personally, I would not like to say that this is the only job I have applied for because it is going to be blatantly obvious that this is not true. If you are going to tell lies, you should tell convincing ones otherwise you will just look silly.

I would normally say something like, "I have applied for all the jobs I could because I can't be without an income, but this is definitely my preferred job," and then go on to give some reasons why so that it sounds convincing.

I've never really thought about this before - I am usually just honest and tell them if I have or haven't. I also don't think it's an underhanded technique, but then everyone is different so they may be or they may not.

From an employers perspective if I were to ask this it would be because I'd want to know whether or not they would be likely to take up the position and if there are any potential barriers to it.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to this, do what you feel is best at the time. Oh, and one other thing I'd say is that I've rejected applicants in the past for lying so you may or may not want to consider that.

I've never been asked this question myself and I've never asked it when I've interviewed other people (as I had to do in my previous 2 jobs). To be honest I don't think it's a prospective employer's business really.

I would say something like, "I'm considering other options" but I would not necessarily say say that I was attending/ had attended other interviews unless I was asked this specific question. I think Tally's answer is good. Whatever questions you're asked, it's important to stress the reasons why you want this particular job.

K x

I have asked this question. I am trying to work out whether the £2,000+ I'm going to spend on training is going to benefit our organisation or the next one (I recruit for a charity), not to mention whether the time and money involved in interviewing has been utterly wasted.

Also, especially in lower paid/skilled jobs, it is a way of finding out if you want to work in that industry or just any job and will leave as soon as something better turns up.....

So if you say, yes I have applied for several hundred jobs and attended an interview at a hotel, a shop, a care home and a bank, they will assume that you are not going to be the most loyal employee, unless you can convince them that this is the absolute perfect job for you!

however, if you say I have applied for jobs in three other schools as well as this one, and this is the first/second one that i have been interviewed at, that is showing a comittment to a specific job role and they may make a quicker or better offer if they want you.

If you say i have not applied for any other jobs you would generally have to explain why not. I am very happy where I am but this is so perfect that i couldn't pass up the chance to apply sounds good, but also says you're not going to be too bothered if you don't get it! I have been unemployed for three years because I'm holding out for the right position makes you seem lazy and unmotivated :rolleyes:

I'm guessing by the forum that we're in that I'm not the only one really put off by pointless "politics" that surround these sorts of situations? :P I put up with them because I have to but I really don't enjoy having to think about being crafty :)