kerryt84

Weighted blankets

I know there has been a thread about this before but it was several years ago.

I am thinking of getting one, but would obviously like some reccommendations first before spending that sort of money.

I would particularly like to hear from any adults who use them.

Thanks, Kerry

Hello

Within 30 minutes of being under my weighted blanket im asleep. Im considering taking them on holiday and to friends houses when i stay over as i cant sleep without it. www.weight2go is where i got mine but be careful if the payment address is different to the delivery address they will send to the payment one!

Alexis

J uses them and he finds them brilliant, it depends on your sensory stimuli how your going to react to them, J is undersentative and oversentative to certain stimuli, he has two now so he can take one to school, he requires the weight to be quite heavy, he required restraining a lot but since buying the WB he has been a lot better, in restraint he liked the pressure, I would defo give it a trial and see how it goes, the weight goes by your personal weight so it is presise.

I bought my from the same seller trekster excellent service and value and a very high quality product.

JsMumxxx

We live in Sweden and we got a heavy 'ball blanket' on loan from County Disability services - DD1 started using it when she was 7 and still uses it age 14. DD slept much better as soon as she got it.

The one we were given was one of the really heavy ones - it weighs around 20lbs I think (I can hardly lift it) - it comes in a white bag and you put your own duvet cover on it

My dd prefers it to her usual bedding and sleeps really well with it :thumbs:

Thanks for your reply Trekster. What weight is yours?

16lb as it was the heaviest they could offer.

Alexis

J uses them and he finds them brilliant, it depends on your sensory stimuli how your going to react to them, J is undersentative and oversentative to certain stimuli, he has two now so he can take one to school, he requires the weight to be quite heavy, he required restraining a lot but since buying the WB he has been a lot better, in restraint he liked the pressure, I would defo give it a trial and see how it goes, the weight goes by your personal weight so it is presise.

I bought my from the same seller trekster excellent service and value and a very high quality product.

JsMumxxx

If the sensory problem is sleep or co ordination related (ie poor co ordination) then weighted blankets can help you.

As for the service i found it was poor as they didn't know the difference between a delivery and an payment address!

As a result my blanket was delivered to my grans whilst she was on holiday and i only got it a few days before i went away.

Alexis

i looked up a blog on how to make them and we're off to choose fabrics soon. i looked up the costs and it works out much better than buying one so if you can get hold of a sewing machine why not do it that way? (plus i can feel the fabric before i buy which is a big issue for me, a lot of bought ones seem to use fleece and that is a big no-no for me)

Thanks for your reply guys.

I think making one myself is out of the question, I would have no idea what to do and have never used a sewing machine. Good idea though.

I do have a lot of sensory issues, but I don't have problems getting to sleep. I wanted it more to help me relax, when I'm feeling overwhelmed I usually run to the bedroom and hide under the duvet and I always have my normal blanket with me when I'm at home, whether watching TV or on the computer.

It's a shame it's not a "try before you buy" product. I can't afford it right now anyway, but hope I can get one next month.

Thanks for your reply guys.

I think making one myself is out of the question, I would have no idea what to do and have never used a sewing machine. Good idea though.

I do have a lot of sensory issues, but I don't have problems getting to sleep. I wanted it more to help me relax, when I'm feeling overwhelmed I usually run to the bedroom and hide under the duvet and I always have my normal blanket with me when I'm at home, whether watching TV or on the computer.

It's a shame it's not a "try before you buy" product. I can't afford it right now anyway, but hope I can get one next month.

It can be relaxing but a lap quilt could be a more suitable product for you. Thats weighted as well.