pjfudge

Hello

Hello

I have joined this forum to get more info on Aspergers, I have recently got to know my brother who has aspergers. My mum recently said to me that she has always believed I have it but never thought about it. I found out that I have dyslexia about 18 months ago whilst going through training for an administrative job.

I have been doing this administrative job for 17 months and have been really struggling, I have worked in several different sections which is part of what the job involves. The job that I first started doing was really tough and I had to write several letters which I kept putting off and then got other people to do.

Anyway things are getting really difficult now that I am working in an accounts section, I find it really hard to deal with so much paperwork and I get panicked by it all really easily. I find it really difficult to concentrate on the work and as its numbers thats not good. My one up lies and covers things up alot and this is totally against what I believe (if you muck up you take the consequences). He constantly changes things and I end up snapping and just can't cope. This job is so easy but I can't deal with it. I keep landing people in the poo and I get quite worried when I muck up. I decided to speak to my boss above him and he wants to help me with my dyslexia. I am trying to transfer to work with the things I love (horses) but it could take years or months.

I find it really difficult to understand people and keep upsetting my husband because I don't understand.

I am just completely fed up.

Regards

:)

Edited by pjfudge

Hi pjfudge, and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are feeling fed up, this is a hard time of year to be feeling down. I think this forum is a really good place to learn about Aspergers, i joined here when me and my partner started to suspect he has Aspergers and we have learnt such a lot that has really helped us. I hope it turns out to be that way for you too, and you can start to find some of the things you are looking for in the new year.

I am off outside now to look at the lovely full moon, best wishes to you.

dee :)

Welcome to the forum pjfudge

im autistic and dyslexic and not only is it possible i would say quite common. In my Bristol social group i think about 20% of the members

are dyslexic and autistic.

Good luck in obtaining a diagnosis, maybe ask the employer whose helping with your dyslexia if you can be tested for aspergers as well?

Dont accept the "you cant have dyslexia and aspergers" myth of them.

Aleixs

it common to have a LD such as dyslexia and AS together people can have AS on it's own but often other things of other similiar condtions link into that i have dyspraxia and AS some others have ADHD , dysphasia etc the list is endless so could be a likeyhood possibility there in the hidden background lurking if your brother has recently recieved an official diagnosis of AS that is more of a chance is increased of it being in your family's genetics on my mum side i have a cousin that displays so many things that i do etc we like 'twin sisters' she has never been diagnosed but quite positive she has it and maybe dyspraxia too. sounds like if you have dyslexia you'll have low self-esteem and this can add extra frustration,stress,worry anxiety depression onto yourself without thinking about it just living with it daily and if you're living with undiagnosed AS that just adds to that situation

i get same feelings and thoughts at work i self -doubt myself and feel panicky feel me inside feel it rising i try not to show it try 'cover it up' employment is difficult when you have the extra responsibilities and challenges you are faced with all time when you have dyslexia AS etc you feel you have to be 'normal' and 'perfect' and conform to the world of work but in doing so it can all seem suffocating,overwhelming and daunting sounds like you are 'lucky' in the fact you have a supportive and understanding positive boss that can rely on that is handy to remember to consider when things get too much is there no way you can work part time ....? or career change? or take some time off (sick leave) due to anxiety and stress???

do you feel constantly 'checking up' on yourself over what you say and do at work ??? i think may sufferers can relate to that feeling in can get obsessive and paranoid mental state though does with me what about you ???

do you feel you have same kind of struggles /difficulties as your brother or all they different??? does your brother suffer with other MH problems such as depression or anxiety ???

you sound depressed do you think you are ??? maybe need take some time space out for you to chill and 'find yourself' get yourself some help and support in your life

sounds like constantly questioning yourself and your ability in work place employment but the world in general really???

changes happening all time can 'emotionally /mentally throw' people with AS as very stressful and worrying thing that is of 'our control and reach' to do anything about ourselves that main thing surrounding AS/ASD are you like that outside work with changes of life situation in normal routine? do you feel you HAVE to have routine there all you fall apart ?? and have 'predicted situations' as much as possible in the day!?

i find numbers math scary frightening etc and the difficulty of maintaining concentration on task in hand can be lost throughout i get too!!

i really do understand everything you have explained ....

would you seek a official diagnosis??? go doctors and seek referral to get officially assessed and diagnosed?

do you think it would help with anxiety worry and stress at work???

do you think dyslexia explains all of the things you experience and have been in situation you didn't 'quite understand fully'??? do you think dyslexia 'fits' your entire official diagnosis?

what other signs you think you show of AS??? i would personally look up research AS ,anxiety depression in books internet and see if this 'explains you' and how you feel and think?!

why does your mum think you may have AS???

have you talked to her about your work situation?

book web links :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyslexia-Stress-Bu...7432&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyslexia-Stress-Bu...7432&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyslexia-Depressio...7509&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dyslexia-Workplace...7556&sr=1-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adult-Dyslexia-Wor...7556&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Employment-Dyslexi...7556&sr=1-7

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...mp;aq=f&oq=

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/

http://www.beingdyslexic.co.uk/forums/

http://www.adult-dyslexia.org/about.html

take care

good luck

let us know how things go for you!!!

hope this information helps you out

XKX

Welcome to the forum pjfudge.

Sorry to hear that your work situation is really difficult. I hope you can find a way to achieve your goal of working with horses - don't give up the dream!

K x

It could be a number of things that is related to your Dyslexia, many people have a comorbid and I think there is traits here that are similair here such as ADHD, and AS/ASD. which are causing you great Anxiety due to not been able to function with all the different messages and tasks.

I would look up tecneques that help with ADHD as well as AS and look towards some theraputic therapies that calm your nerves down too, for example breathing exercises, meditation and if you can deal with toutch, remedial sports massage.

How is your Caffine intake during the day, this increases anxiety and panic so if you can tolerate herbal tea it may help to help reduce your caffine intake.

It sounds like you have a lot of different difficulties and your workplace surely must take into acount your disabilities.

JsMumxxx

It could be a number of things that is related to your Dyslexia, many people have a comorbid and I think there is traits here that are similair here such as ADHD, and AS/ASD. which are causing you great Anxiety due to not been able to function with all the different messages and tasks.

I would look up tecneques that help with ADHD as well as AS and look towards some theraputic therapies that calm your nerves down too, for example breathing exercises, meditation and if you can deal with toutch, remedial sports massage.

How is your Caffine intake during the day, this increases anxiety and panic so if you can tolerate herbal tea it may help to help reduce your caffine intake.

It sounds like you have a lot of different difficulties and your workplace surely must take into acount your disabilities.

JsMumxxx

I am pretty bad at eating properly and my main food (if you can call it food) is chocolate. I only drink water and occasionaly if I feel off coulour like I am going to get a cold I will drink strong Ribena (ooh and alcohol). I have gone 9 years predominantly eating chocolate. Since meeting my now husband I have eaten a lot better.

I tried a herbal thing a couple of years ago and can't remember what it was called when I worked in a call centre, that helped a little but I can't stand the taste.

I am pretty bad at eating properly and my main food (if you can call it food) is chocolate. I only drink water and occasionaly if I feel off coulour like I am going to get a cold I will drink strong Ribena (ooh and alcohol). I have gone 9 years predominantly eating chocolate. Since meeting my now husband I have eaten a lot better.

I tried a herbal thing a couple of years ago and can't remember what it was called when I worked in a call centre, that helped a little but I can't stand the taste.

MMM interesting that you enjoy chocolate, you see, my son self medicated on the stuff and it helped his ADHD symptoms, caffine helps ADHD, its a stimulant, we tend to crave foods the body is either needs or actually is intolerant to.

I have had to ween J off chocolate fix as much as possible, with the exception of christmas, but honestly J was getting throw a diet of coke and chocolate just for the caffine fix, J does not even drink cola anymore.

He enjoys his chocolate obvously but he isnt fixed on it anymore, and he enjoys camamile tea, with two teabags, he has to have his strong, at first the taste is not that great, but over time you get acostumed to it, you can add honey and other fruits if you are a sweet tooth.

The eating difficulties you have maybe down to Sensory Intregration Disorder J is very reduced selective in his diet due to texture, tempreture, taste, smell. so look into this also.

Dont forget if you do reduce the caffine/chocolate you may get withdrawal symptoms/feeling tired, lathargic, see objects, ectt...

Your situation is very much like Js was a few years ago. he has HFA/ADHD/SID/Dyslexia and Mental health Disabilites.

JsMumxxx