Special_talent123

Bread confusing

My mum sent me out to get, pickles, branston and bread stick. I came back with Branston, Pickles, and french stick. When got home mum said ' K you have got bread sticks and not French Stick' , i didnt understand what she meant i didnt understand the difference. My literal mind when mum said french stick thought a picture that look like sticks and not bread.

I'm very literal and misunderstand things like this a lot, and hence ask a lot of questions. Then people moan or joke because I'm asking too many questions. You just can't win :)

My mum sent me out to get, pickles, branston and bread stick. I came back with Branston, Pickles, and French stick. When I got home mum said ' K you have got bread sticks and not French Stick' , i didn't understand what she meant i didn't understand the difference. My literal mind when mum said French stick thought a picture that look like sticks and not bread.

Actually your mum would have said "you got French stick instead of bread sticks", however i don't think this is just autism.

i often get words muddled up and im sure it's dyslexia, personal and private are supposed to mean virtually the same

thing but to me i have problems telling the difference.

Personally i would have made the same error and got the wrong item. Bread sticks are miniature versions of French sticks.

They are about 15cm long and have rounded ends. You dip them in branston or other sauces to eat.

If she had said to you "large French stick" or "small bread sticks" would that have made more sense?

You made an honest mistake and i can totally see your frustration here. You could ask for her to draw what she wants

next time as i noticed from autistic me you respond better to pictures than words.

Alexis

I'm very literal and misunderstand things like this a lot, and hence ask a lot of questions. Then people moan or joke because I'm asking too many questions. You just can't win :)

If that's not bad enough i had a NAS worker! say to me "you already are" when i requested i could be a speaker for the Employment and Support Allowance Campaign. She meant i had been talking too much despite making a concious effort to talk less and have alternative ways of remembering what i was going to say!

Alexis

My mum sent me out to get, pickles, branston and bread stick. I came back with Branston, Pickles, and french stick. When got home mum said ' K you have got bread sticks and not French Stick' , i didnt understand what she meant i didnt understand the difference. My literal mind when mum said french stick thought a picture that look like sticks and not bread.

hi st123

i can understand how this is confussing, but a little tip from me is that breadsticks come in boxes mainly and french bread is in clear wrappers i remember lots of things via the packeraging, hope this helps a little but it was a mistake and french bread is lovley

takecare

theresa

Actually your mum would have said "you got French stick instead of bread sticks", however i don't think this is just autism.

i often get words muddled up and im sure it's dyslexia, personal and private are supposed to mean virtually the same

thing but to me i have problems telling the difference.

Personally i would have made the same error and got the wrong item. Bread sticks are miniature versions of French sticks.

They are about 15cm long and have rounded ends. You dip them in branston or other sauces to eat.

If she had said to you "large French stick" or "small bread sticks" would that have made more sense?

You made an honest mistake and i can totally see your frustration here. You could ask for her to draw what she wants

next time as i noticed from autistic me you respond better to pictures than words.

Alexis

No this is my literal mind, my autism mind. i cant tell the difference between any of them. no she said i got the ''bread stick im like what do u mean'' she said she wanted the loaf of bread not the sticks. that doesnt make sense. it werent to dip in branston it were to go with my the meat and potato. she should of said the ' loaf of bread' called french'' not just say it like that.

yes i respond better to pictures because im a visual person

Edited by Special_talent123

So am I getting this right? She said to get "bread sticks" and you got "French bread"?

If that's right then that's exactly what I'd have done. And I agree it's because you are being literal.

As for Alexis - I don't quite understand your example about being a speaker. You aren't a speaker, but she said you are because you don't stop talking?

So am I getting this right? She said to get "bread sticks" and you got "French bread"?

If that's right then that's exactly what I'd have done. And I agree it's because you are being literal.

As for Alexis - I don't quite understand your example about being a speaker. You aren't a speaker, but she said you are because you don't stop talking?

she told me to get ' french sticks' and not 'bread sticks', if she worded it better and used 'loaf of bread that says french' and not 'french stick' it would been easier for me to understand.

I suppose it is confusing: bread sticks dont look anything like bread and a French Stick is not really a stick at all, is it? :rolleyes:

K x

Ah I see. Yeah I'd have got the French bread then, not the bread sticks - but I think this is, yes definitely a case of being literal, but also a case of just knowing that French stick = French bread.

It can be frustrating that people don't explain themselves, but think of it from their perspective - it can be difficult for them as well because they don't understand the limitations that we have. Maybe try just asking a few questions to confirm what the requirement is and just take it as a lesson learned :)

I suppose it is confusing: bread sticks dont look anything like bread and a French Stick is not really a stick at all, is it? :rolleyes:

K x

yes but my mind i see things in black and white, very literal mind., when mum said get french stick my mind thougt its the sticks from a box that u eat. i didnt understand. people need to rephase things so i can understand or it will get taken literal like i done today

Ah I see. Yeah I'd have got the French bread then, not the bread sticks - but I think this is, yes definitely a case of being literal, but also a case of just knowing that French stick = French bread.

It can be frustrating that people don't explain themselves, but think of it from their perspective - it can be difficult for them as well because they don't understand the limitations that we have. Maybe try just asking a few questions to confirm what the requirement is and just take it as a lesson learned :)

sometimes they give up explaining what they mean to me suppose its hard for them to understand why i find it difficult to understand, so its a case of trying to interpret what they mean but doing that today went wrong.

No this is my literal mind, my autism mind. i cant tell the difference between any of them. no she said i got the ''bread stick im like what do u mean'' she said she wanted the loaf of bread not the sticks. that doesn't make sense. it weren't to dip in branston it were to go with my the meat and potato. she should of said the ' loaf of bread' called French'' not just say it like that.

yes i respond better to pictures because im a visual person

In that case she sent you for a French stick (you mentioned a bread stick). im finding your posts really difficult to read or understand, they are so jumbled up. Are you sure you're not dyslexic? You appear to be a classic case to me.

Agreed ask her to be more specific "mum im really literal, i know you find it difficult to cope with but please be more specific when sending me out shopping. Drawing a picture would be helpful. i don't understand why she complained if it was for your food not hers?

Problem is a "loaf of bread" is oblong whereas "a French stick" is long (about 1/2 a metre i think), it's a very different shape to a loaf. i can understand your logical totally by calling it a "loaf of bread French" however i doubt NTs would be able to.

Alexis

She meant "i was speaking too much" by claiming "i already was a speaker". Sounds like mum asked for french stick and OP got breadsticks?

Alexis

K x

it is a stick shape but i would describe it more of a log personally.

yes but my mind i see things in black and white, very literal mind, when mum said get French stick my mind thought its the sticks from a box that u eat. i didn't understand. people need to rephrase things so i can understand or it will get taken literal like i did today

Your mum could be autistic as well but unable to understand how literal thinking affects you?

Alexis

sometimes they give up explaining what they mean to me suppose its hard for them to understand why i find it difficult to understand, so its a case of trying to interpret what they mean but doing that today went wrong.

Easily done with being autistic. Do you think you can get it right next time with the same type of bread? Im wondering if there's a brand of French bread that always has the flag on the front? That could be an excellent visual clue for finding it next time?

Alexis

My mum used to have to write very precise shopping lists as my dad took it to work and got a colleague to his the shopping for him. She had to write things exactly as they said on the label. Maybe next time you could ask your mum to do that for you.

You got most of it right, and at least you had food to eat, even if it wasn't quite what your mum was expecting.

In that case she sent you for a French stick (you mentioned a bread stick). im finding your posts really difficult to read or understand, they are so jumbled up. Are you sure you're not dyslexic? You appear to be a classic case to me.

Agreed ask her to be more specific "mum im really literal, i know you find it difficult to cope with but please be more specific when sending me out shopping. Drawing a picture would be helpful. i don't understand why she complained if it was for your food not hers?

Problem is a "loaf of bread" is oblong whereas "a French stick" is long (about 1/2 a metre i think), it's a very different shape to a loaf. i can understand your logical totally by calling it a "loaf of bread French" however i doubt NTs would be able to.

Alexis

I am not dyslexic and stop diagnosing me with disabilities. i had been diagnosed with dyspraxia at age 9 and learning disability at age 4. and loaf bread i can understand what it means, french stick my mind thinks its a bread stick

The food was for mum not me.

Edited by Special_talent123

I am not dyslexic and stop diagnosing me with disabilities. i had been diagnosed with dyspraxia at age 9 and learning disability at age 4. and loaf bread i can understand what it means, french stick my mind thinks its a bread stick

The food was for mum not me.

Im not a psychologist therefore cannot diagnose anyone with anything on here, it was a suggestion.