Sign in to follow this  
mygifts1306

a reflection on christmas

As we approached christmas I was quite apprehensive and had started a thread on it, Ds who is nearly 7 had started asking questions about Santa being real. It all started quite innocently at school, there was fundraising for the children that are underprivilaged. Ds insisted that he should get £1 a day for 10 days because these children have only got air in their tummies. Well when it came to christmas he asked me what happens to those children? does santa come to them, I had to think quick and said " yes Santa does come to them". I toyed with the idea of letting on about the magic. Infact he told me that one his classmates told him that santa is not real its the mums and dad who get the gifts.aaarhhh! why are kids so mean? WEll I told him santa is real. I looked up at all the suggestions from everybody else and I decided to write a social story for him about christmas. I wrote it with him, it was very crude and i hoped it will make his christmas meanful and less chaotic. It must be very hard for children with as , as its halloween then christmas in the shops, and kids hear people talk about christmas shopping. one thing we are doing to ensure that it remains mysterious for ds is, we dont shop with him, and we dont speak of it at all. If i see something, i tell hubby then he gets it when they are in bed. And most other things were purchased online and they came when he was at school. We found this to be very useful in ensuring that he thinks its mysterious. we also used the giving of gifts to children, and the general merry ness, for instance, our gp are really lovely so we often give them something, we give a present to his teacher as well. If anyone is interested in my social story feel free to pm me. Christmas day worked very well as it was predictable, he knew what to expect at each stage. However i will say he did not seem to be as excited about the presents as I expected, it will be interesting to hear what parents of 6 years old observations were, we could compare NT and As for instance. My son did not smile at all or laugh out loud. The children woke up at 7, we waited on them waking up, youngest had to be woken up, we watched them opened thier presents, then we went to church at 9am, they were allowed to take one toy each. this was all the social story. so totally predictable. We then went to his nana and papas, its the only family we have, we had our breakfast there, then they opened their gifts, I told her to get few presents for them not too much. They got 4 parcels each. they played with the toys for a while, then we came to our house and opened other presents from a few close friends. Then they played with their toys, and dad made christmas dinner, we watched the graffallo which was great.

I wont bore you with the details. It was great really and he had a bed times story as he does for 365 nights a year, He is currently on enid blytons secret seven no12.

thank you for reading, and thank you for your responses.

kind regards

Edited by mygifts1306

we told our kids that we give santa the money for their pressies, plus a bit to cover pressies for kids whose parents have no money/who don't have parents. That way they understand why some kids get loads of expensive presents and others get hardly anything:)

The hardest thing was explaining to DS not to spoil the magic for the younger ones when he stopped believing - we had many many lomg discussions and arguments about that :rolleyes: (I'm not sure he ever really believed TBH, but we tried our best)