Sign in to follow this  
oxgirl

CAMHS want to start him on meds.

Feeling a bit low as CAMHS are recommending meds for Jay and not sure what to do.

School referred him because of OCD-type behaviours centred around toileting. He's been seeing therapist since August but she hasn't been able to get very far with him and now they're saying meds are the answer to helping him with his anxiety/low self-esteem/compulsions. They're saying that when OCD is severe and doesn't respond to therapy, meds is the next step, talking about anti-depressants. I'm not sure if he's depressed really and I didn't think his OCD was very severe, certainly not compared to some stories I've heard. He certainly has very low self-esteem and feels pretty bad about himself at the moment, is lonely and can get down, but usually he's upbeat on the surface, funny and calm. Not sure what side effects would be involved and how these would affect him and his personality, I wouldn't want to 'change' him as such. Also, concerned about what effect they might have on his ability to study, as he's working really hard revising for GCSEs, starting this week and leading up to May, wouldn't want anything to interfere with that.

Any thoughts or advice or experiences would be welcome. :(

~ Mel ~

Antidepressants are a class of medications, but they are commonly used to treat other conditions such as anxiety or OCD. It doesn't necessarily mean they think he has depression.

They should not change his personality at all.

There are so many antidepressants, so it's hard to say what the side effects might be. Jay's doctor should be able to advise you on what to look out for. Some autistic people respond best to very low doses, so that might be something worth asking the doctor about.

Hi Oxgirl,

I can really understand where you're coming from and all the concerns you have documented; I am in a similar position myself currently. I am supposed to be seeing the CMHT psychiatrist next week to discuss medication. Erm, no, I don't think so...

I have all the same concerns: side effects, being changed, particularly effect on study and concentration, interaction with 'medical' meds. My biggest issue though is that I know myself best and I know that the 'me' that CMHT are basing their decision on is not the normal me because they simply have no idea about ASDs or how to interact with me and I do present differently when there. I feel that they've rushed into a medication route rather than taking the time to get to know me as an easy way out. I fully accept that I can be difficult to interact with, that I don't communicate verbally with new people to a great extent (although CMHTs people, if you're reading this, telling me today that I 'don't have a good grasp of verbal English' really doesn't help, it just makes me feel ###### about myself, thanks very much...) and that this can make interaction difficult, but other professionals who work with me have proved that it is possible through listening to me and finding ways of communicating that work rather than being rigid and unable to change from what they always do (and I thought I was supposed to be the autistic one... :rolleyes:).

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice, I just wanted you to know that I understand and that you're not alone. I don't know for sure what I'm going to do. I think I have to go along to the appointment and at least it shows willingness to listen, but I will take along a list of my concerns (the trouble is they don't do reading as my GP/counsellor do, insisting instead on verbal communication :tearful:). What would be most beneficial to me and what I am trying to arrange is for an advocate who knows me to come to the appointment who can explain that the 'me' they are basing their decisions on isn't the whole me.

What do others involved with your son feel with regards medication? Especially perhaps school if it may impact on his GCSEs? Could they write a report highlighting such concerns? :unsure:

Hi Oxygirl just digged this book as it does go into some detail on medication.

Autism Spectrum Disorder

The complete guide. Chantal Sicle Kira.

And forwarded by Temple Grandid who admits to taking Anit Ds and they have helped her tremendously of which she also shared in her book Thinking in Pictures.

Also Chantal Sicle kira has another book that touches on Medication in her Adolescents on the Autism Spectrum.

just letting you know of the books.

JsMumxxx