Mumble

Accommodation Advice

I need some advice from you good people before I go and do an 'angry autistic' and knock a few heads together... :whistle::angry:

I have a very severe, rare complex form of asthma. I am regularly hospitalised (I've spent most of this last week in hospital) and have needed life-saving emergency treatment on multiple occasions this past year.

One of my triggers is smoke. I live in university halls because of my difficulties arising from my ASD related to managing my health conditions. The regulations state that smoking is not permitted in halls.

Unfortunately the student living below me doesn't believe in rules (not just smoking, I've had issues with noise, guests and most other rules being broken). I have spoken to halls management on multiple occasions and they 'write to him' but it does nothing other than wind him up so he retaliates by breaking more rules/making more noise.

These last few weeks he has regularly smoked cannabis in his room. Due to the design of the building the smoke, even if my window is closed (there is a 'ventilation' brick thing) fills my room which then triggers my asthma.

I could speak to halls management again but all that will do is make the problem worse as the student concerned retaliates more. I know that an NT would probably just tackle it head on, knock on the student's door and say 'oi' but there's no way I can do that - I'm terrified. :( What can I do to resolve this? How do I make management (who are generally good) see that this is an ASD issue and a health issue and not just me being 'fussy'? I was put in halls because I can't cope with such situations with flatmates and this was supposed to take that responsibility off me, but it isn't working out. :tearful: (Sorry, just feeling a bit down about it right now, because my room's all smoky and I can feel it affecting me and I'm scared of ending up back in hospital).

Is there any chance of being moved to another room, maybe in another hall of residence ? I know it is hard to move mid year but there might be a space somewhere.

Is there no Supported Housing spersifically for people with ASD in your area, MENCAP may know of such spersific housing accomadation, the other idea is Housing Associations, and NAS.

Your council also will have a list on spersific Housing accomadation.

Sorry your going throw that mumble.

JsMumxxx

Thanks both but I'm going to be stubborn (and fully accept that I am) on this one - I'm not the one doing wrong, and if anyone should move it is the student breaking the rules. He should be given the choice - follow the rules or pack up and move somewhere where his behaviour is deemed acceptable (I should note I don't have a problem with any other of the 500 students I live with...).

I was specifically allocated this accommodation because of my additional needs and because they know I can't cope with confrontation. And yet those needs are not being met.

I know I'm a stickler for rules and this is part of the problem here, but this isn't just about rule breaking but about the effect of that rule breaking on my health.

I don't know what to do to resolve this. I need management 'on my side' as they help me with my various medical issues and I couldn't live 'independently' without their support so I don't want to make a complaint, I just want this student to stop smoking (especially cannabis) in his room. :(

I think an NT would struggle with this too. The student is being completely unreasonable. I think most people would be too afraid to confront him directly.

The problem with supported housing is going to be finding. As a student you won't be entitled to the unemployment/incapacity benefits you might need to access this type of accommodation.

Is there anyone particular in halls management you have a good relationship with? If so, they might be someone who can handle this sensitively.

Your regular hospitalisations should convince them that you have a genuine problem with the asthma. A Dr's note might help if they don't seem to be taking you seriously.

I realise that the ventilation brick is probably there for a good reason, but would it actually be dangerous if you blocked it?

i had a smiliar problem in my last residential year at uni, the person in the next room was permanently high and dealing out of his room. he would become very violent, attacking another person in our house with a frying pan, trying to smash in my door on the first day when i asked if he could turn his music down (at 11pm!). i took the route you described, complaining to management repeatedly, who went and talked to him, and seemed to think that would resolve it. even after the frying pan incident (because she had used bleach in the kitchen and he didn't like the smell) they did nothing but hold a meeting with us and ask him if he wanted to move.

no real advice except to contact your academic department, who are ultimately resposible for your wellbeing at uni. they should be able to get on to the accomodation people. if not, then the only other thing is to contact the police, as he is in posession of illegal things. when i told the management that my neighbour was dealing out of his room they made a big fuss about me not telling them earlier... then did nothing about it!

Your regular hospitalisations should convince them that you have a genuine problem with the asthma. A Dr's note might help if they don't seem to be taking you seriously.

I had thought about speaking to my GP/consultant as I'm seeing both this week. I'm just reluctant to involve others as I don't want to make a big thing of this, I just want it sorted. I guess I'm scared of the consequences of what might seem heavy handed action for a relatively minor issue. It's taken me a long time to build up a good relationship with halls management and I don't want to do something that could damage that.

I realise that the ventilation brick is probably there for a good reason, but would it actually be dangerous if you blocked it?

One of the rules is that the ventilation gaps/bricks must not be covered... :rolleyes: Plus I like 'fresh' (cough, cough) air when I can get it. :lol:

Just out of interest, what is the legal situation with regards smoking cannabis? I know it seems to keep changing. :unsure:

Its a class c drug, he probably get a caution from the police, that is it, but if the uni have stricter rules potentionally he could loose his accomadation, its not regaurded as a real drug now adays.

Im sorry I suggested that you moved, i thought you where thinking about moving that was all.

JsMumxx

Its a class c drug, he probably get a caution from the police, that is it, but if the uni have stricter rules potentionally he could loose his accomadation, its not regaurded as a real drug now adays.

I stand corrected, its a class b, and apparntly the police always act! do they?

:lol: Yep, I was confused too - I think it keeps changing (perhaps dependent on which MP needs the law a certain way :o:ph34r:).

Im sorry I suggested that you moved, i thought you where thinking about moving that was all.

No problem - I was, well still possibly am (I need to make a decision about what I want), but for now I really need the stability of where I am and the accommodation service have realised that hence I'm able to stay. Really for me, one less thing to worry about (having secure accommodation) is what I need, hence me being very very wary of doing anything to make management think I'm a pain!!

Ha! He's currently coughing and spluttering (but still smoking :() - I'm not one to think/wish badly of others but in this case he really deserves it. :devil:

hence me being very very wary of doing anything to make management think I'm a pain!!

I would rather be a pain than be in a situation where I am in pain and in constant distress.

If you dont say anything then how can the uni help you.?

JsMumxxx

If you don't say anything then how can the uni help you.?

You're absolutely right. One thing I often do is get into situations where I expect others to know I need help/support without actually telling them. Anyway, I've gone for a middle-way in approaching this as the problem is continuing. I've emailed the halls manager as it feels less confrontational, hopefully that will be enough, but if not, I have written evidence that I've raised the issue I can take higher to get this sorted hopefully. :)

You're absolutely right. One thing I often do is get into situations where I expect others to know I need help/support without actually telling them. Anyway, I've gone for a middle-way in approaching this as the problem is continuing. I've emailed the halls manager as it feels less confrontational, hopefully that will be enough, but if not, I have written evidence that I've raised the issue I can take higher to get this sorted hopefully. :)

My own son talks to me as though i know what he is going on about and to be honest I havent the foggist, he gets very high rate when I say but I dont know what your going on about J, he says you know, you know, and Im like No I dont, but he just assumes I am with him in the same way he is, he really does at times want me to read his thoughts, and I cant!

Glad you have raised it with the manager by email, its as good as any other communication as it gives you a chance to say your peace, and gives you time to get across what it is you want too say, saying on a telephone or face to face might get you all muddled up or not quite get out what it is you want to get across, so email is a great way of doing it, Ive just recently resorted to email for social services, but the problem is the manager keeps changing and I need to get a new email address, but the main reason was for the evidence plus it dates it too.

JsMumxxx

there is also war on drugs campaign by the govt as well, will be long jail term the individual, and unlikely to gain employment in his lifetime with that on his list

I stand corrected, its a class b, and apparntly the police always act! do they?

Anyway ASK FRANK is a great website.

http://www.talktofrank.com/drugs.aspx?id=172

JsMumxxx

They downgraded cannabis to grade C, then up again to grade B. Surely it is illegal to smoke cannabis anywhere, especially in a public place such as a hall of residence.

I am unsure about tobacco. I know that it can't be smoked outside in a three sided bus stop !

Perhaps you should spell it out to the University authorities, in the nicest possible way of course, that if you are admitted to hospital and you die, there will be a coroner's inquest. I am sure that enough people will know the truth and volunteer information, that you pleaded on several occasions for them to deal with this problem.

At the end of the day, they have the power to evict this person, who so flagrantly disregards the rules.

Block the brick and move something in front so that it's not immediately obvious. Ventilation bricks are there to prevent damp, primarily, so you could open a window for ventilation from time-to-time and have no problem.

See if that helps first - there may be another trigger that is masked by the cannabis.

My advice, write a letter to him.

Rather than approaching him in person, where you may get nervous, stammer, forget what to say etc... you can say it all.

In the letter try to remain relatively neutral with regards to your thoughts on rule-breaking, drug-taking, smoking etc... However strong your thoughts actually are, ramming them down his throat will only get his back up, and exacerbate the problem.

Instead simply point out just how serious it is for you (ie. a life or death situation) and politely ask him if he could not do it.

You may also want to consider trying being friendly and even apologetic in the letter. Again, even if you don't actually feel that way it's a means to an ends - you may find that he responds better to a polite, friendly request rather than a stern warning letter.

If that doesn't work then go back to the University accommodation people - and if neccessary contact the University Disability Office/Occupational Health people and also your University's NUS - Disability rep - if they put pressure on, you may "suddenly" find a solution comes about.

:)