Sally44

Channel 4 tonight (Embarrassing Bodies)

My Results are:

Autism quotient = 35 ( on the ASD spectrum)

Emotional Quotient = 22 (bad score,not good at all, puts me on the spectrum again - thought I might do better)

Systemising Quotient = 19 ( a good NT score )

Expected this score, but I never did identify with the idea of the "extreme male brain). I think this might be the area where where girls /women are missing out and slipping off the radar. I might not be able to recite a a page of telephone numbers but I can reel off the Kings and Queens of England ( minus dates) from Egbert to Elizabeth 2 and I know all the Gods/Goddesses In Greek/Roman/ Norse mythology and what they represent etc.etc.

Mind in Eyes Test = a good NT score 24. I'm glad I had a decent score here as it means my life is a little bit more easier than I thought :)

Well DP has scored

42 on the original test (embarrassing bodies)

4 on EQ test

30 on SQ test

not done the eyes one thats tomorrow as he was getting tired

I scored

6 on the original test (embarrassing bodies)

68 on EQ test

11 on SQ test

22 on eyes test

Baddad has some good points, however I still feel it offers more positives than negatives. I think the way in which the tests are presented though should probably be not so light as they are but it helps promote awareness of the conditions.

I know that there is a depression and I think bi-polar test - I know you probably don't care but just thought I'd point out anyway :)

Jannih - I had 35 for AS, 11 for empathy, 49 for systemising and 23 for faces just in case you're interested :)

Edited by Meethoss

Very well said Meethos and Tally. :thumbs: These tests are not intended and never were intended to be used in isolation. For my dx assessment, they were used as one part and a basis to part of the very long clinical interview which sought to find examples and counter examples across my lifespan of these issues.

Absolutely, Mumble...me, too, as we were both dx'd at Baron-Cohen's clinic ! :D

They form only a tiny part of the AAA (Adult Asperger Assessment) and in fact the dx criteria for the AAA is more stringent than the DSM IV.

Bid :)

Just a bit of fun? But.

Scores for the AS test.

Myself:- 34

My wife:- 36

My young son:- 37 (I did have to interpret the questions and answers a bit)

My grown up stepson:- 40

For the other tests I scored:- EQ=38, SQ=39, Eye:=24.

Not sure what to make of that.

I scored 13 - is that lucky or unlucky I wonder?

I'm dismayed to see the questions about reading fiction, imagining characters' appearance and working out intentions. Presumably people with AS are not supposed to enjoy or do any of this because they don't have an imagination. :rolleyes: For what it's worth, my L diagnosed with AS 5 years ago, is aiming to read English Lit and Creative Writing at Uni from September - all being well. :pray:

K x

I'm dismayed to see the questions about reading fiction, imagining characters' appearance and working out intentions. Presumably people with AS are not supposed to enjoy or do any of this because they don't have an imagination. :rolleyes: For what it's worth, my L diagnosed with AS 5 years ago, is aiming to read English Lit and Creative Writing at Uni from September - all being well. :pray:

K x

From reading about it this isn't true. I think it CAN be a factor, but isn't necessarily always. Myself? Well I seriously suffer with my imagination. I just can't picture things in my mind at all. If I'm asked to create some stuff for a marketing demo I fail miserably and have told them that I'm just not able to and they've had to have someone else do it. I was testing a friend earlier on something for her work where I had to say a name of a makeup product and she had to tell me the catchphrase for it - she couldn't remember for one so asked me for hints. There was about 6 words in the phrase and I just could not think of anything that would be a hint. I understood what she was asking for but I just couldn't comprehend it.

Finally, I enjoy reading and very, very rarely ever am able to picture the scene described in a book. I often only enjoy reading to find out what happens further along in the story. I therefore much prefer a good film!

K x

I can't do it at all! :lol:

Doesn't stop me loving reading tho...

Bid :)

And they say Autistics take things literally! :shame::devil: Firstly (as I think you are very well aware and are just being a little ironic :ph34r:) 'imagination' or lack of in the triad of difficulties refers to social imagination and not to imagination in the usual sense. In fact many individuals on the Autistic spectrum have very unique, different and quirky imaginations often due to their different take on particular things, and, after all, we are all unique. Secondly, it is quite possible for the three issues you pick out to exist at any point along a continuum of imagination and importantly they do all relate to other issues associated with Autism. In particular, imaging others' appearances and intentions can be thought of in a much wider context than reading a book (I can't remember how the AQ words these) and can cause extreme difficulties - it can be very frightening not having any idea how someone might react to something, disconcerting if someone reacts differently to expected if you can't come up with alternatives and also relates to understanding how others might perceive your own actions - in the worst case, you could end up sending people to the wrong place for a meet-up :whistle::lol: I can't imagine people's appearances because I can't imagine people, even those I know well. Apparently most people can conjure up an image of well known people in their minds. I can't even 'see' my Mum or sister in my head. The only images I can make of them are static images from photographs and even these are not reliable. Such difficulties, to various degrees, are common (but not compulsory) to individuals (important word... :whistle:) on the spectrum and such an item will probe at that.

As for reading fiction, do I enjoy it? No, to be honest. I love reading and I love books, but I prefer 'real' things - autobiographies, accounts of people's trips up mountains/into the wilderness etc. I actually find reading fiction very difficult: I get lost, I can't hold the ideas of what is happening and I don't like not knowing what is going to happen. In fact, I will usually read the end first so I am not surprised. That's not one to admit to a psych - they really do treat you with suspicion following that admission!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, as has been said countless times, this AQ and the items on it are one tiny little indicator used in a very long process of assessment. It is not intended to be taken literally in the way discussed here and taking one or a few items out of context and saying they are indicators of Autism is a complete misapplication of the research tool. Plus, we're all individuals :thumbs: and I hope L enjoys her course. :clap:

K x

I agree.Ben regularly writes features for the CBBC message boards which are very well followed.His creative writing is of a higher standard than his brother who is in top set in year 9.What is more Ben is gifted and talented in literacy but needs support in maths.It just shows people with AS do not always fit in tidy boxes. :)

Sorry to take so long to getting around to responding to this thread - been busy doing other things! For the record, I am the AS subject of this piece...

I have to say that I can see where most of the critical comments are coming from. Dr Christian did claim we are all on the autistic spectrum but, in the next take (after my advice) adapted this claim to state that we all portray some autistic traits - the editor obviously thought the first take was more suitable. Similarly, I put the psychologist right when he claimed that gaze aversion was an indicator of autism - I pointed out that 20 years ago the results would have been the opposite and that I used to be accused of staring at everybody! The problem, as I see it, is not being unable to look at people's faces but not having the "natural" ability to gauge the appropriate degree... this was stated on film but, again, the editor obviously saw fit to include the former statement. For the record, I was most annoyed about the dubbing in of the closing comment "...and that is why this is an embarrassing condition"! and was disappointed that approximately three and a half hours of recorded interview (over two sessions) was distilled to around ten seconds of input into the final piece.

Regarding the AS tests (et al) it has already been stated that they are only indicators and in no way claim to be definitive. Anybody who subscribes to this forum also is highly likely to give a skewed response because our awareness of what it is assessing is that much higher than the population norm.

I was very nervous about going on this programme, particularly given its tabloid nature, but agreed because i) I believe that raising public awareness of the condition is paramount, ii) though tabloid, it is generally sensitive to the issues it addresses and aims to demystify and destigmatise them, and iii) the director was extremely keen, having just received a dx for his daughter. To me a five-minute item will never cover the condition in the depth it needs, however the subject of autism was introduced to a section of society that previously had no awareness of it, the AS questionnaire web-site taking over 100, 000 hits in the following week, so I feel vindicated if not satisfied.. :whistle:

Edited by LicklePaulie

I've speed read this thread and was most interested in the AQ test, I've just completed it and got a result of 44, some of the questions were very interesting, and things I struggle with that I'd not really thought about before.

Other people frequently tell me that what I've said is impolite, even though I think it is polite. That's me alright :tearful:

Although I can't comment on the programme as I didn't see it, it was interesting to read your insider's view, LicklePaulie. As the programme ws titled "Embarrassing Bodies" it's not surprising that the makers were looking to push that particular angle. As you say, a 5 minute slot is not long enough to do justice to such a topic and present a balanced view. I hope, overall you found the experience worthwhile though.

K x

As the programme ws titled "Embarrassing Bodies" it's not surprising that the makers were looking to push that particular angle.

Granted... :tearful:

I hope, overall you found the experience worthwhile though.

See the closing comment to my earlier thread...

ps - Just done all the tests I'd not already done, AQ-48 (during diagnosis 3 yrs ago); EQ-14; SQ-62; MiE-15 - all-in-all a quite strong series of indicators! :unsure: