Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Typing and voice recognition software

I have seen in another post that if a child is typing, has a reader/writer or uses voice recognition software that they have to have used that system as their main way of recording learning for 2 years before it can be used in any testing or examinations. Can anyone tell me where I can find that statement?

Hi Sally.

Ben's use of ICT equipment was discussed at year 6 AR.Ben cannot write longer pieces of work or produce work which reflects his ability due to dyspraxia and hypermobility in his finger joints.The EP advised that for GCSE exams the main requirement is that ICT equipment is the usual method of working in lessons.She ensured that provision of a laptop was included within the Statement for secondary school.

Ben is not currently using a laptop very much because he can keep up in most lessons without it.However we have an AR coming up in March.I plan to raise the issue of ICT use and exams then so willl post more information when I get it.

I cannot see how the rule you came across would work in practice re 2 year limits.There are numerous cases I could think of where an accident or medical condition could cause a disability which required access to ICT in much less time than 2 years [head injury,spinal injury or trauma all come to mind].I cannot imagine that the examination boards would have 2 year limits in these cases.

If you are thinking a few years ahead it is worth bearing in mind that the rules can change anyway in fairly dramatic ways.

If you are thinking about exams at age 16 I have other information that might be helpful.We went to Js open evening regarding GCSE options last week.It was very positive when looking ahead to options for Ben.Things have changed in the last few years.Many courses do not require exams and are based mainly on coursework or ongoing assessment.

Edited by Karen A

I am thinking about year 6 SATS.

My son is not reading or writing independently yet.

And his low academic performance may be down to not being able to demonstrate learning as his cognitive ability is assessed as high average. I think he is on 1C for literacy and 1b for numeracy now. He is in year 4.

Hi

Just thinking back to Primary - OJ had a reader for his year6 SATS and he had only been statemented midway through year5 so there was no 2 year rule.

When he started secondary he had a county laptop (for the dyspraxia and tics) but he didn't use it for very long as it was so heavy to lug around! His handwriting has improved but if he is doing extended writing or timed conditions it is completely illegible. School have managed to find him a gorgeous little Notebook (don't know how and am not asking any questions!!!) for his year 9 exams and I think the SENCO has to request in year 10 scribe/reader concessions for GCSE.

Hope that helps.

Stella x

Hi.

Out of interest why are you worried about SATS ?

They have little to do with individual children and everything to do with the school showing how well they perform.

If your son is in year 4 there is no gaurentee SATS will still be in place by the time he is in year 6.

There is a general election coming up and who knows what will happen afterwards. :D

Having said that I think that the SENCO can just apply for whatever dispensations are needed.

Ben used ALPHASMART and also got extra time.

Hi

Just thinking back to Primary - OJ had a reader for his year6 SATS and he had only been statemented midway through year5 so there was no 2 year rule.

When he started secondary he had a county laptop (for the dyspraxia and tics) but he didn't use it for very long as it was so heavy to lug around! His handwriting has improved but if he is doing extended writing or timed conditions it is completely illegible. School have managed to find him a gorgeous little Notebook (don't know how and am not asking any questions!!!) for his year 9 exams and I think the SENCO has to request in year 10 scribe/reader concessions for GCSE.

Hope that helps.

Stella x

Hi Stella63,

Can I just ask what notebook your son uses? Planning on getting one for my DS to use (dyspraxia) and would really appreciate a recommendation.

Many Thanks

Grace

Hi Grace,

Not sure as I've only seen it once and it has to stay at school. I will be in school on wednesday so will write down all the details for you. First time he used it he said it felt weird because it was so small but apparently from then on in he has been tapping away at high speed!!

Stella x

I think the two year criteria was for GCSEs. There are different rules for SATs and GCSEs, some concessions are easier to get for one than the other. The children I work with usually have a scribe and/or reader for SATs.

http://www.renlearn.co.uk/alphasmart_prod.html

This was mentioned at one time for my son to use as a recording tool as alternative to writing - not sure if you can get voice recognition software with it?? Not sure if it actually was used by him.

I'm just trying to find the best way for my son (9) to be able to demonstrate and record learning. He isn't reading/writing independently. He has dyslexia, dysgraphia, poor working memory in these areas - yet a brilliant memory in others. I am trying to get some balance between him being involved in whole class work, but being able to actually learn and record his learning. His teacher thinks he should not spend any more time out of class on 1:1 stuff as she says it is making him fall further behind. However if he cannot read/write etc then what is the point of him being in class if he cannot do anything with that information. He has to be able to write or type or use voice recognition software or have a reader and writer.

With his annual review coming up this is the opportunity to talk with the EP/LEA about this (and many other things). So I don't want to miss this opportunity to discuss these issues.

I feel that if I leave it, my son may make less progress. Then when he transfers to secondary school they will begin from scratch getting to know him. It could take a long time before he has anything in place for these difficulties.

I'm just trying to find the best way for my son (9) to be able to demonstrate and record learning. He isn't reading/writing independently. He has dyslexia, dysgraphia, poor working memory in these areas - yet a brilliant memory in others. I am trying to get some balance between him being involved in whole class work, but being able to actually learn and record his learning. His teacher thinks he should not spend any more time out of class on 1:1 stuff as she says it is making him fall further behind. However if he cannot read/write etc then what is the point of him being in class if he cannot do anything with that information. He has to be able to write or type or use voice recognition software or have a reader and writer.

With his annual review coming up this is the opportunity to talk with the EP/LEA about this (and many other things). So I don't want to miss this opportunity to discuss these issues.

I feel that if I leave it, my son may make less progress. Then when he transfers to secondary school they will begin from scratch getting to know him. It could take a long time before he has anything in place for these difficulties.

Hi Sally

I'd be really wary about putting too much emphasis on reading/writing. I know that sounds irresponsible because reading and writing are vital skills, but making them a pre-requisite for accessing other learning can lead to a child getting seriously disaffected, because as well as not being able to do what they spend all their time practising, they don't even get to do interesting stuff either. I've lost count of the number of parents I have come across on on-line forums whose boys have suddenly begun to be able to read/write at around puberty, so don't give up hope.

My son (11) benefited most from a SENCO who played to his strengths and took a very 'light touch' approach to his weaknesses. That way he made a lot of progress in things that mattered to him (his class teacher said if none of the other kids in the class could answer a question, he knew ds would be able to - apart from maths, of course) and his self-esteem rocketed. He's now beginning to tackle handwriting and arithmetic voluntarily.

If your son can't read/write at 9 he *should* be getting support in the form of VRS, or a scribe, because his reading/handwriting problems shouldn't be being made into an obstacle to the rest of his learning.

I would also say that SATs are a measure of the school's performance not the child's and most secondaries re-assess the children in Y 7 anyway. They know many primary schools coach children for SATs and so they are not a good reflection of the child's overall ability. SATs reflect a very narrow range of skills.

cb

Hi Sally

I'd be really wary about putting too much emphasis on reading/writing. I know that sounds irresponsible because reading and writing are vital skills, but making them a pre-requisite for accessing other learning can lead to a child getting seriously disaffected, because as well as not being able to do what they spend all their time practising, they don't even get to do interesting stuff either. I've lost count of the number of parents I have come across on on-line forums whose boys have suddenly begun to be able to read/write at around puberty, so don't give up hope.

My son (11) benefited most from a SENCO who played to his strengths and took a very 'light touch' approach to his weaknesses. That way he made a lot of progress in things that mattered to him (his class teacher said if none of the other kids in the class could answer a question, he knew ds would be able to - apart from maths, of course) and his self-esteem rocketed. He's now beginning to tackle handwriting and arithmetic voluntarily.

If your son can't read/write at 9 he *should* be getting support in the form of VRS, or a scribe, because his reading/handwriting problems shouldn't be being made into an obstacle to the rest of his learning.

I would also say that SATs are a measure of the school's performance not the child's and most secondaries re-assess the children in Y 7 anyway. They know many primary schools coach children for SATs and so they are not a good reflection of the child's overall ability. SATs reflect a very narrow range of skills.

cb

I'm not so bothered about SATS per se, but the fact that school may not allow him to sit them because he cannot read or write. And I know that at this stage that might be a good thing.

But like you say, my son avoids doing school work because it all involves reading/writing. And as you mention, I want him to be interested in learning because he can demonstrate it. He is so painfully slow with writing that that makes him even further behind because he does not get the practice that other children do eg. in numeracy he may only complete one sum when other children complete ten, due simply to how long it takes him to write it out.

Hi

Grace, I said I would find out about OJ's notebook. It is a Samsung NC10 - don't know much about these notebooks but it is really light to carry around and he got used to it very quickly - hope that helps!!

Stella xx