Sign in to follow this  
justine1

Half day going well

Hi

Sam has been doing half day,flexi schooling, for nearly three weeks it seems to be going well in that he seems happier,more relaxed and only went under the table once(it was because he had his head shaved the day before and it was cold,but this made it hurt)

I want to continue this but I am also worried about what impact it will have on him.He does two hours of school work,plus 20min reading ,when he comes home so I am hoping he is not missing out educationally but as others mentioned before not sure how he will cope when he goes back to full time???

Should I continue this way after half term or should he go back to full time???

I think the aim has got to be to go back to full time education.

If your son cannot cope in his current school then it would be useful to know what the difficulties are.

Have you looked at other mixed SEN and mainstream schools, or schools with an autism unit. Then he may be able to spend the morning, or certian lessons in mainstream and go over to the unit in the afternoon.

I can't remember his age, what kind of school he goes to, or if he is statemented.

If he goes full time will he have full time support?

We had a plan of this way but it didnt work out as soon as he was going full days he regressed and he didnt go anymore that term this was in year six and he left not long after that.

I would look at slowly increasing the full time table and look for a day that has the most practicle sessions, so this could be the day he has his full day, so something like this,

Week One,

Monday half Day, Tues Half Day, Wed Full Day, Thurs Half Day, Fri Half Day.

Week Two.

Mon Half Day, Tues Full Day, Wed Full Day, Thurs Half Day, Fri Half Day.

Week Three

Mon Full Day, Tues Full Day, Wed Full Day, Thurs Half Day, Fri Half Day.

Week Four.

Mon Full Day, Tues Full Day, Wed Full Day, Thurs Full Day, Fri Half Day.

Week Five.

Mon Full Day, Tues Full Day, Wed Full Day, Thurs Full Day, Fri Full Day.

Until he is doing a full week.

Ensure you do a visual timetable/calander if you do something like this to let your son know what he is doing.

Its just an example.

I would push for 1-1 the times he is at school.

Good Luck.

JsMumxx

Edited by JsMum

Good to hear it's going well and some of the stress has eased.

Your decision will no doubt depend on what the school /LA can do for him if he increases his hours, even if it requires emergency funding while the statutory assessment process is being carried out - assuming they agree to that. If it's full time with everything as it was before, the same problems will surely recur.

K x

If the child is not coping full time and needs more support. What grounds could the LEA refuse emergency funding? If the LEA are legally required to make full time education possible, then they need to do something.

But although I said the aim is for full time education, because every child has a right to it, and it states by law that they should receive it.

However if the LEA/school do not support him so that that is a possibility, then that would also be a good case for seeking an alternative placement and demonstrating that the LEA did not support your son when he needed it.

And you would want all this down in paper and agreed before you begin increasing hours, otherwise your child will simply retreat again.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think at the moment he wont get any extra support as they were already streached with what they were offering him.The ed physch has been,no report out as yet and the autism outreach lady will come on the 5th March,we are waiting for these reports and hopefully get him statemented.

I do like Jsmum's idea of a slow intergration back into full days,so I think I will ask if we can start this from after the half term break.Maybe if he can go just two full days three half days it will also work.Definatley something we can discuss and will make sure I do a visual timetable for Sam.

I think from September he will start a new school either mainstream or special needs as we are more than likely going to move.If we dont move,my neighbours little girl is going to start at a special needs school,in our county but its 6miles away,so I may try get him to the same school,it looks good.

The school have been quite supportive as far as the special needs school "idea" goes,the head teacher does not think mainstream is ideal for him.Hopefully she will put this in writing for me!

Good to hear it's going well and some of the stress has eased.

Your decision will no doubt depend on what the school /LA can do for him if he increases his hours, even if it requires emergency funding while the statutory assessment process is being carried out - assuming they agree to that. If it's full time with everything as it was before, the same problems will surely recur.

K x

I agree with Kathryn completely.

If it were me and flexi-schooling was working I would not change the arrangement until I was sure that support was in place.

Even then I would increase gradually.

We had times with Ben when school was not going well.There was nothing more disheartening than thinking things were better and encourageing Ben to do more only to find things broke down again.

IMO far better to take things slowly and hope for more positive experiences than to rush to full time prematurely.

Karen.

I've got mixed feelings on this - I think the longer it goes on as is the more established it will become in his head that the hours he's doing are 'school' iyswim... So I think a stepped process of increased hours is a good way to go and/or introducing more 'lesson time' into the current regime (I don't know if you're doing this already but perhaps you could have some fixed rules at home about him doing an hours 'homework' or spent consolidating some of what he's done in school that morning?).. That way he's not got the (social?) pressures he would have in school but there is still a firm expectation that he use school hours for learning.

Kathryn's point about support is a good one, but I don't think it's necessarily the case that the problems would reccur. It would depend on the reasons for the behaviour(s) in the first places and could perhaps have more to do with a shift in attitude (on both sides) than changes in actual provision. If he is more engaged in the idea of school and the school are more engaged in maximising that interest then that sort of positive cooperation could make a huge amount of difference, even if there is little that can be done (at the moment) about the environment itself.

Hope that makes sense, and that whatever you decide it works to the good

L&P

BD :D

I would if you are not already, provide as much structure to his day as possible, one of the reasons we did Activities was to get him motivated to do his tasks, at one stage he wasnt even getting out of bed, or gettind dressed, all designed to aviod the ultamate task of school so we did a structured day, that was visual and detailed.

Went something like this.

A visual routine plan for the morning tasks. Such as get out of bed, put on my clothes, eat my breakfast, brush my teeth ect...

Then it AM Swimming, Dinner, PM, museum, Then evening routine of Tea, Games/TV Bath, Supper, Pjs, Story, Bed.

Then we slowly introduced a Morning Session at school with an afternoon activity.

We didnt do homework as this would result in total opposition, defiance, aviodance, ect... but we do not use school hours doing tv, dvds, playstation, either, we did hands on activities such as Photography, this is simple as taking the camera and taking pictures of the aperatus, people we meet there, we looked at the weather, sunny, dry, raining, ect.... we did baking, as its scientific, mathematics, and very good to help reduce a childs nerves down from been totally overloaded from a school enviroement, pressures, so it can help, we used Art/craft, music to look at moods, feelings ect... so it doesnt have to be school related subjects.

I would though have a set out daily calander of what activities and school sessions your son is doing so he has some predictality.

I can recommend Widgets a computer software that helps you make Routines/calanders.

I think it would be essential for 1-1 support, especially in the situations that are arising, as having insuffienct support is also setting up a child to fail too.

You will need to ensure there is a good transition plan for the new school in september and if there is a possibly a move I would wonder if going full time at presant school is viable, with the changes in the near future.

JsMumxxx

I've got mixed feelings on this - I think the longer it goes on as is the more established it will become in his head that the hours he's doing are 'school' iyswim... So I think a stepped process of increased hours is a good way to go and/or introducing more 'lesson time' into the current regime (I don't know if you're doing this already but perhaps you could have some fixed rules at home about him doing an hours 'homework' or spent consolidating some of what he's done in school that morning?).. That way he's not got the (social?) pressures he would have in school but there is still a firm expectation that he use school hours for learning.

Kathryn's point about support is a good one, but I don't think it's necessarily the case that the problems would reccur. It would depend on the reasons for the behaviour(s) in the first places and could perhaps have more to do with a shift in attitude (on both sides) than changes in actual provision. If he is more engaged in the idea of school and the school are more engaged in maximising that interest then that sort of positive cooperation could make a huge amount of difference, even if there is little that can be done (at the moment) about the environment itself.

Hope that makes sense, and that whatever you decide it works to the good

L&P

BD .Consolidating learning /homework....this child is six not eleven.All current guidance for learning in the foundation stage sugggests that learning should be through play.As for homework I don't think it is recommended for six year olds.

He is already doing twenty minutes reading which is pretty good for a six year old.

Usually in the foundation stage numeracy and literacy are done in the morning first thing.Afternoons are spent on activities that are fun and less structured.I think it is a bit excessive to expect a six year old who is finding mornings difficult to come home and do lessons in the afternoon.Especially since he is not even getting to enjoy breaktime at lunch time.

I think justine is also attempting to study at home whilst finding herself at home with a child who should be at school full time.She has a three year old and a one year old . and is a single mum.If she has it within her to do extra work in the afternoon having found that school cannot provide sufficient support for her child to be full time she will be doing more than I ever managed. :rolleyes

Jutine :)

I do not intend to suggest that you have no structure in the afternoon.But why not go to the park,the museum or swimming if you have any time and energy.

Edited by Karen A

BD .Consolidating learning /homework....this child is six not eleven.All current guidance for learning in the foundation stage sugggests that learning should be through play.As for homework I don't think it is recommended for six year olds.

He is already doing twenty minutes reading which is pretty good for a six year old.

Usually in the foundation stage numeracy and literacy are done in the morning first thing.Afternoons are spent on activities that are fun and less structured.I think it is a bit excessive to expect a six year old who is finding mornings difficult to come home and do lessons in the afternoon.Especially since he is not even getting to enjoy breaktime at lunch time.

I think justine is also attempting to study at home whilst finding herself at home with a child who should be at school full time.She has a three year old and a one year old . and is a single mum.If she has it within her to do extra work in the afternoon having found that school cannot provide sufficient support for her child to be full time she will be doing more than I ever managed. :rolleyes

Jutine :)

I do not intend to suggest that you have no structure in the afternoon.But why not go to the park,the museum or swimming if you have any time and energy.

Karen - I was talking about him doing some educational activities in the afternoon - not hot housing him for a place at Eton. And learning through play is exactly how I would have suggested going about it.

Blimey, gal, what is your problem! :rolleyes::whistle:

Karen - I was talking about him doing some educational activities in the afternoon - not hot housing him for a place at Eton. And learning through play is exactly how I would have suggested going about it.

Blimey, gal, what is your problem! :rolleyes::whistle:

I've got mixed feelings on this - I think the longer it goes on as is the more established it will become in his head that the hours he's doing are 'school' iyswim... So I think a stepped process of increased hours is a good way to go and/or introducing more 'lesson time' into the current regime (I don't know if you're doing this already but perhaps you could have some fixed rules at home about him doing an hours 'homework' or spent consolidating some of what he's done in school that morning?).. That way he's not got the (social?) pressures he would have in school but there is still a firm expectation that he use school hours for learning

You did use the phrases ''homework'' ''consolidating learning'' ''what he has done in the morning'' and ''fixed rules''. :rolleyes:

I used the phrases ''I think it is a bit excessive'' and ''I don't think it is recommended''

Surely that is hardly confrontational. :)

Aside from that....... this morning left home at 0800 ,dropped Ben at 0830,phoned school office to explain we did not have his bag and I was going home for it,returned home,returned to school at 0910 to be told Ben was anxious ,went to the gym,took a call at the gym at 1000 to find that Ben had been in a confrontation with the head of maths and was very worked up,discovered that the head of maths had got involved in a confrontation becuse Ben had refused to get his pen and book out [which he did not have because as the office knew I was bringing them.Ben did not explain this but then if he could he would not need a Statement],spent remainder of day wondering what state of mind Ben would be in this evening,picked Ben up at 1535,,had to stop the car part way home because he was shouting so loud I could not drive,took a call from the head of maths at 1730 who could not understand why Ben had refused to work only to have to explain that he could not do any work because he had left his bag and I was bringing it.Oh and amongst other things the head of maths managed to tell Ben to look at her when she is talking.She does actually know a bit about AS and says she will make sure that people understand how important communication is.....which is what we have been attempting to explain since this time last year.

It is now 1830.I have been awake since 0430 and D is not home until 2100.

Someone that I thought was a good friend has given me a really hard time in the last week which is sad. :whistle::whistle::whistle::tearful:

How was your day ? :D

Edited by Karen A

You did use the phrases ''homework'' ''consolidating learning'' ''what he has done in the morning'' and ''fixed rules''. :rolleyes:

I used the phrases ''I think it is a bit excessive'' and ''I don't think it is recommended''

Surely that is hardly confrontational. :)

Aside from that....... this morning left home at 0800 ,dropped Ben at 0830,phoned school office to explain we did not have his bag and I was going home for it,returned home,returned to school at 0910 to be told Ben was anxious ,went to the gym,took a call at the gym at 1000 to find that Ben had been in a confrontation with the head of maths and was very worked up,discovered that the head of maths had got involved in a confrontation becuse Ben had refused to get his pen and book out [which he did not have because as the office knew I was bringing them.Ben did not explain this but then if he could he would not need a Statement],spent remainder of day wondering what state of mind Ben would be in this evening,picked Ben up at 1535,,had to stop the car part way home because he was shouting so loud I could not drive,took a call from the head of maths at 1730 who could not understand why Ben had refused to work only to have to explain that he could not do any work because he had left his bag and I was bringing it.Oh and amongst other things the head of maths managed to tell Ben to look at her when she is talking.She does actually know a bit about AS and says she will make sure that people understand how important communication is.....which is what we have been attempting to explain since this time last year.

It is now 1830.I have been awake since 0430 and D is not home until 2100.

Someone that I thought was a good friend has given me a really hard time in the last week which is sad. :whistle::whistle::whistle::tearful:

How was your day ? :D

Sorry you're having a bit of a rough time at the moment Karen >:D<<'>

My son is on a part-time timetable within mainstream secondary( he's 12, AS). As Karen has said when you try to increase time in school it has to be done in a well thought out way with preparation and resources available. DS was on a part-time timetable last year and he would suddenly be put back into class - without preparation and support and of course it wasn't a success. I also agree with Baddad that the longer out, the harder it is to get them back in. You could consider slightly lengthening a couple of days, seeing how it goes and build up to a full length day.

Whatever you decide hope it goes well.

AV

Thank you again for all your comments.

As I mentiones above he is doing schoolwork at home during his normal school hours.We arrive home at about 12.40,he eats his lunch which I give him time to do so he is finished by 1.10pm.He gets given an extra reading book,maths worksheet and writing worksheet,I give him lots of time to do each activity,I am lucky in that at this time my four year old is at nursery and baby is asleep,so give him my full attention.I then give him 15min on BBC bitesize,which he loves,by the time all is done its 3pm s we go fetch his brothers.

He then does his normal homework,which is 20min reading.I do find heis working hard,probably harded at home than at school because there is actually less distraction.Our dining table is in the kitchen so he goes straight there when he eats his lunch,so we just do the work there as well,he cant see any toys or telly.The first day or two was a struggle,but he has no problem with doing his work now.

I would love to take him out somewhere,but there isnt anything local,and I dont drive.It is a bit cold and wet to go to te park a the moment.If I do continue until the end of the school year I will take him to the large park,to eat and do homework and play!

Thank you again for all your comments.

As I mentiones above he is doing schoolwork at home during his normal school hours.We arrive home at about 12.40,he eats his lunch which I give him time to do so he is finished by 1.10pm.He gets given an extra reading book,maths worksheet and writing worksheet,I give him lots of time to do each activity,I am lucky in that at this time my four year old is at nursery and baby is asleep,so give him my full attention.I then give him 15min on BBC bitesize,which he loves,by the time all is done its 3pm s we go fetch his brothers.

He then does his normal homework,which is 20min reading.I do find heis working hard,probably harded at home than at school because there is actually less distraction.Our dining table is in the kitchen so he goes straight there when he eats his lunch,so we just do the work there as well,he cant see any toys or telly.The first day or two was a struggle,but he has no problem with doing his work now.

I would love to take him out somewhere,but there isnt anything local,and I dont drive.It is a bit cold and wet to go to te park a the moment.If I do continue until the end of the school year I will take him to the large park,to eat and do homework and play!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Well it sounds like you are doing as BD suggested and far more than I would ever have managed. :whistle::P

Karen.

Hi again Justine :)

Sounds like you've got everything I suggested already sewn up! :thumbs:

Bitsize etc is brilliant - I used to use lots of internet resources like that if Ben was ever excluded, and I think PC learning is a winner all round, 'cos you're not only teaching them whatever the software is teaching them but internet skills too. DK stuff an reader rabbits are great buys for six year olds.

L&P

I would love to take him out somewhere,but there isnt anything local,and I dont drive.It is a bit cold and wet to go to te park a the moment.If I do continue until the end of the school year I will take him to the large park,to eat and do homework and play! do understand totally its too cold to go out to the park, and time is short, but for me I could not manage to get J to cooperate on any school based subjects so we had no choice to do activities, learning on the pc, ect... but I do take your point of the weather, which is why I suggested museums, swimming ect... if he is happy however with the afternoon routine then that is great.

JsMumxxx